My opinion about pool cues

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob runde recently sent me a beautiful cue for in the $2000
range,I loved the cue.

I told him about a plain Hoppe style Barry Szamboti that I just bought for over $6000

Bob asked me sincerely"are they that much better than mine?"

A sincere humble question

I thought for a minute and replied as far as workmanship,they are not any better,as far as play ability They are not any better and a whole host of great players prefer the Runde

Materials ,beaty design balance ,fit finish , someone may argue either way

Why then do i pay more?

Isn't that the question people ask all the time.

The only difference is this time it is me making the comparison,i love both cue makers,I love both cues,i own both cues,but Szamboti is something
with a mystical element that causes us to admire,treasure and pay more.

What it is,I can not really say. But I will say that if you are a pool player first, and a speculator or collector way down the line

I can not see a single reason to buy a more expensive cue than a Runde,

the one i had was fancy,it is possible to get a really nice one for $1200 and
you will have a cue that is as good as it gets

i love the play of them and plan to buy all he will make for me,but at the same time I
plan to buy all the south west that laurie will make for me too,we all know what great quality and performance you get there

Bob Owen,Larry Vigus, John Nemic,,Jake Hulsey are names that come to mind as great cues,Vigus has caught the imagination of the collectors,whether it is the fresh designs,play or fit and finish,people can not get enough of his cues and they are not
easy to get and the prices are going up

Injust ordered a Paul Drexler,no one makes fancier cues,cues that play great too.

Why he hasn't been recognized by the general public as the greatest of all time
is a mystery to me,look at his Face Book page

There are others but these are the ones I love the most,I like the play,I like the looks

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
My playing cue is a sneaky conversion from Joey Bautista, plays as good or better than most of the cues I've owned. Have a new bluegrass, from Richard Harris, and it also plays great.

I've had Runde's, Scruggs, Schon, Joss, Joss West, Meucci's, James White, Judd, and a host of others. What I've noticed is that some cues play better than others, some hold value better than others, but all of them (except for 1 really crap cue) were worth owning and enjoying.

Some I miss, some I don't, and the two I own currently I will probably not sell until I quit playing. Wanted a bluegrass for 30 years, now I have one. And Joey's cues are pure players.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Bob is a wonderful person and cue builder. I feel his cues dollar for dollar have no comparison. I sold my “loaded” Runde because I knew my “player” was just as much of a playing cue. I’ve heard Gus recommended Schon cues back in the early 80’s, makes sense to me.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cues are a beautiful thing fashion and function wise. My most expensive cue cost around $1000 in 1998. I could buy fancier but it won't make me happier. I have a chance to buy a really nice TS. Person wants close to $3000 for it. Too much for my taste. We only need one good cue...maybe 2... but buying/collecting is addictive. Cues have a certain fascination.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Bob is a wonderful person and cue builder. I feel his cues dollar for dollar have no comparison. I sold my “loaded” Runde because I knew my “player” was just as much of a playing cue. I’ve heard Gus recommended Schon cues back in the early 80’s, makes sense to me.

Gus was asked in the 80's of all the cuemakers making cues then the maker who's work he admired most? He said Pete Tascarella. Good choice.

As for why Dean bought a plain Szamboti hoppe for 3 fold over a nice fancier cue he bought from Bob R., well imho thats easy. It has nothing to do with any comparisons. They both make a great cue. The short but complete answer is supply and demand.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to me its about ,
wood seasoning , wood selection , wood quality , turning down time , building quantity per year and value .
szambotis are good investments too , if i have the money i would by one or two or more . in 1996 i give a black boar cue away ...bad mistake !
greetings

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can pay for "potential", "rumour" and "name-fame".

Or you can start accepting that proper craftmanship with proper wood probably will not cost you more than 300-500$ when you're not having any fancy, time-consuming inlays.

A cuetec cue for its price and looks (CEV, CER series) actually IS a masterpiece, much more than any custom cue maker.

If you're starting from an investment point of view - I think you have the wrong profession. Cues are things of usage.

Cheerio.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion about pool cues.

Attachments

• bat swing.jpg
    bat swing.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,346

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golfers give pool players at least the 5ball when it comes to this. "Buy this so-n-so club/ball/gizmo and take 5 shots off your game." You are dead-on here.

This^^^^^
Don't get started with Golfers talking about putters and drivers.. never ends.

A Gus Szamboti is an investment you can play with, kind of similar
to vintage guitars, or old muscle cars... although IDK if anyone would
take a Gus to a pool hall. $.02

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
This^^^^^
Don't get started with Golfers talking about putters and drivers.. never ends.

A Gus Szamboti is an investment you can play with, kind of similar
to vintage guitars, or old muscle cars... although IDK if anyone would
take a Gus to a pool hall.
$.02

Just don't let it out of your sight...

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I guess I'm a cue collector of sorts.

Meaning, I have a "collection" of cues in the closet.

When I got a Josey, I quite "collecting".

I've been playing with it for 10 years now.

Finally found the "arrow" I like.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know much about Szamboti cues but I sure do love my two Runde cues and since getting my second one I've completely stopped looking at new cues to buy. I'm just perfectly content with my Runde cues, best cues I've ever played in my opinion.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Efren's cheap "bat" that he used for years didn't hurt his swing too much.

I have a cue made by the same guy in the Philippines.....
..it’s very plain....but it’s a good cue....and still straight.
...it was given to me by the guy who introduced me to Efren....
...I don’t recall the cue maker’s name.