Common misconceptions

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
What do you hear most often? Here are a few off the top of my head.

-heavier cues break harder
-soft tips 'grip' the cue ball longer
-Elkmaster tips are impregnated with chalk

winners07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
common misconceptions

What do you hear most often? Here are a few off the top of my head.

-heavier cues break harder
-soft tips 'grip' the cue ball longer
-Elkmaster tips are impregnated with chalk

How about small shafts get more english :thumbup:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
People also say light cues break harder.

I think I have read possibly two or more things already that are said to be false that I think are true, depending on definition of terms. But I am not in an arguing mood today, so I won't point them out. Oh well, we all have our opinions.

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
About the only absolute truth I have learned in cue making, is that there are no absolutes. It's a big world of grey. At most there are tendencies, and even those are subject to shifting winds.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Laminated shafts have less deflection.
Forward balanced cues miscue less.
Pro taper shafts have more action.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you should not have got me started

the best shafts are snow white

it is not crooked, thats taper roll

you should be able to build my cue for almost nothing, because i will supply the materials. the guy told me its been dry for years

what do you mean, you cannot cut from start a shaft in 2 months?

yes, i want a 11 1/4 mm shaft with a 18 inch pro taper, but i want it to hit really stiff.

and one of the worst, i know i can design a cue, because i have been playing for [ add any number here ] of years

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chris, better break lighter cue for me

i believe it is not weight so much as its tip speed. like in golf, baseball, or tennis. speed at inpact in my opinion is much more important than mass to a certain extent.
i know that i can get a 17 1/2 oz cue moving faster than the 32 ounce cue i made. so the balls break better. now i know a 32 is a bit much, but i made a cue with a forearm made entirely of staniless steel, just for laughts. every one that thinks it will make a great break cue, but no you cannot get it moving fast enough for a good break.

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
-Lucasi personally makes all 'his' cues. Imagine having to tell every kid in the country there's no Santa, that's pretty much how I feel every time I go to a bar tournament :D

What! I thought it was some guy named Lucas?

RBC

Deceased
Great thread!

I have a couple.

At pretty much every show we go to we will have at least one person who says "I have really small hands so I need a thicker shaft", as well as another person who says" I have really small hands so I need a thinner shaft". The same goes for "I have really big hands" as well.

The other one is more of a story. Several years ago I got a phone call from someone who had the chance to try out one of our cue shafts. He had played with a friends and fell in love with it, and called to order one for himself. He proceeded to say that he wanted it to be 13.1mm, have a 16" pro taper, and come with an ivory ferrule. I quickly told him that I could not build him the shaft he wanted. He was quiet for a moment and then asked why not. I replied with this question, "when you played with the cue shaft we made, did you like the way it hit, and the way is played? Did you like the low cue ball squirt and how easy it was to pocket a ball with side spin?". He said that he did, of course and that is why he wanted me to make him a shaft. When I told him that if I made the shaft the way he wanted it, that it wouldn't play like the shaft he tried, he was completely dumbfounded. He just couldn't understand why.

Even with all this, we are really lucky to have customers with such passion for pool. I know they can be tough, but you just gotta love em!

Royce

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So if I break with a 17oz cue at 25mph it will break harder than breaking with a 21oz cue at 25mph? Is that what you are saying?

if you use this
\begin{smallmatrix} \frac{1}{2}mv^2 \end{smallmatrix}
or this
E_\text{r} = \int \frac{v^2 dm}{2} = \int \frac{(r \omega)^2 dm}{2} = \frac{\omega^2}{2} \int{r^2}dm = \frac{\omega^2}{2} I = \begin{matrix} \frac{1}{2} \end{matrix} I \omega^2

i think it means the speed is more important than the weight....:eek::thumbup:

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
So if I break with a 17oz cue at 25mph it will break harder than breaking with a 21oz cue at 25mph? Is that what you are saying?

No. You can move a lighter cue faster than a heavier cue. According to the equation I linked to(kinetic energy), speed is squared, making it more important than weight. If you break with an 18oz cue at 10mph against an 18oz cue at 20mhp, the 20mhp will break four times harder, not twice as hard.

Ek=1/2mv[squared] (can't figure out how to superscript)

Ek is kinetic energy
m is mass
v is velocity

Last edited:

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
I was told g-10 was the best pin, stiffest hit etc, the metal pins are not as good LOL. Its subjective.
Euro taper shafts play the best.
And im going to win figure skating in the next Olympics !

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One I find amusing is..."how a cue hits is all about the tip, ferrule and joint. The butt doesn't come into play." I probably read it once a week on this forum. To me that is the same as saying a race car's performance is solely due to it's engine power.