On A SS joint cue would you use a softer tip compared to a wood to wood joint

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim,

Gotta disagree with your post about S/S joints hitting soft.
There might be nomenclature confusion. I switched from
S/S to flat ivory because of the difference in feel. IMO, S/S
joints produce the most firm hit of any type cue joint I’ve tried.
But all of this is entirely subjective so there’s lots of opinions.

The tip’s hardness has a lot to do with the feel of your stroke.
PositionIng pieces of metal between the shaft & butt also affects it.
The softest hitting joint I‘ve tried was a wood joint, not surprisingly,
& flat faced ivory comes in 2nd but S/S versions were the most stiff.
None of this matters in the least as long as you like the balance & feel.

Matt B.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a lot of variables from one SS joint cue to another.
I hit balls years ago with a SS joint Mali and Szamboti.
Both cues looked almost the same as in straight grain maple forearms,points and no inlays.
But the Szam was twice as stiff hitting.
The Mali more on the softer side.
I liked the Mali better.
The Szam was way too stiff for my liking.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
That would depend on shaft taper and ferrule. Joint material makes little difference. Stiffest hitting cues I’ve owned were wood to wood. Most ss collared cues I’ve had hit softer. But again that was more taper and old ivory ferrules than anything.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
ive never heard a top player agonizing over the tip that is on his cue. he realizes that it isnt important as long as its shaped as he likes and holds chalk.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The speed of sound in maple along the grain (as in a shaft) is about 13,000 feet per second or 13 feet in a millisecond. The tip is in contact for about a millisecond.

I agree with your second statement but for a different reason. If the cue is solidly built, the joint will have negligible effect on the hit.

The OP should select the tip type by other criteria than the joint type.

Pool is a sequence of repeated events so feedback, even that delayed and disjointed by a stick, is still valid.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
ive never heard a top player agonizing over the tip that is on his cue. he realizes that it isnt important as long as its shaped as he likes and holds chalk.

Several years ago Johnny Archer was in a tournament, I cant remember which one, and he was complaining about his tip....After his loss of the match he was playing, he left for awhile...When he came back the booth commentator said he went and changed his tip to a Triangle...So help me this is the honest truth....
Now that's the only time I've ever heard of a pro complaining about his tip but it really happened that time...

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool is a sequence of repeated events so feedback, even that delayed and disjointed by a stick, is still valid.
Yes. that's true. I once had loose bumper screw. When I shot the washer slapped against the screw and it sounded like something was broken. I couldn't play a lick until I figured it out since it was like breaking glass on every shot. In truth, it had no effect whatsoever on the shot. It had a huge effect on my flow.

But I think if the joint is solid, it will have very little effect on the sound of the cue compared to the effect of the tip itself.

It would be interesting to see sound recordings from different cues with different joints, but I doubt anyone will bother to do that.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. that's true. I once had loose bumper screw. When I shot the washer slapped against the screw and it sounded like something was broken. I couldn't play a lick until I figured it out since it was like breaking glass on every shot. In truth, it had no effect whatsoever on the shot. It had a huge effect on my flow.

But I think if the joint is solid, it will have very little effect on the sound of the cue compared to the effect of the tip itself.

It would be interesting to see sound recordings from different cues with different joints, but I doubt anyone will bother to do that.

They could coordinate with brain telemetry of people shooting shots and make grantable research out of it. :)

Even SVB could participate as a control.
lol

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've seen plenty of pros ask for a newly installed tip to be cut off and changed.

Sounds like agonizing to me.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That makes me laugh.

Similar: one time I heard a faint metal sound. Threw me off my concentration . Couldn’t figure it out. Examined the butt, , brass ferule, etc. a dozen tines. Turned out the sound was from a small fishing leader I had in my shirt pocket.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello

We were discussing this the other day. I prefer a Medium tip but some people say that a cue with a SS joint would have a stiffer hit and may need a softer tip to compensate for it. I have played a few Cues that were SS that did feel very stiff and have played with some that were not and you could not tell the difference between it and a Wood to Wood joint. Fwiw my Son got a Triangle tip installed over the weekend $10 bux including pro installed and Man that things plays good , it is taking English really well and I can really make that cue ball dance with it. I am impressed with how it plays.

Believe this would fall into the category of Over Thinking Things.

Lou Figueroa
feeling like Trebeck

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would depend on shaft taper and ferrule. Joint material makes little difference. Stiffest hitting cues I’ve owned were wood to wood. Most ss collared cues I’ve had hit softer. But again that was more taper and old ivory ferrules than anything.

I wonder if the heavy SS joint (or just metal-metal) has the density to "do something" with the shock wave coming from the tip and make the cue feel softer. That is: does the lump of mass at the solid joint change the shape, duration, intensity of the shock wave that started at the tip.