What is exciting about Playing or Watching Pool?

What game excites you the most

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
One Pocket and Banks were left off the poll. If you wish to add either or both to your selection, just include in you reply.

I would guess, most responses would be about playing, but I also enjoy watching.

I enjoy watching the more experienced players play a game of One Pocket. Seeing how quickly they come up with a creative shot.

Seeing bank pool played by B and C players. The frustration of just barely missing and excitement of NAILING it.

Break and runs in 8, 9, 10 are always fun to watch, some of these BNRs contain an array of critical shots that allow the shooter to get out.

Break and run in One Pocket is rare, but still exciting.

Stringing 8, 9 and 10 ball racks. Keeping your opponent in the CHAIR.

Hill-Hill Match BNR or making the money ball on the break.

Getting through the full rack into the next in 14.1
50 Ball run in 14.1, 100 ball run in 14.

5 and out in short rack banks. Multiple times..

3, 4 and 5 in a row 3C

What excites you about Pool?

Last edited:

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I actually prefer to watch 1PKT or Banks.. I know I'm in the minority but that's what I like to play and watch the most..

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'd rather have my teeth pulled than watch a one-pocket match :yikes:. I guess it's just my OCD kickin' in. It messes with my head that there are six pockets on the table and they're only using two of them :sorry:.

OTOH, I enjoy watching a good bank match (go figure, eh?).

10-ball is my all-time favorite though!!!

Maniac

dr2112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd rather have my teeth pulled than watch a one-pocket match :yikes:. I guess it's just my OCD kickin' in. It messes with my head that there are six pockets on the table and they're only using two of them :sorry:.

OTOH, I enjoy watching a good bank match (go figure, eh?).

10-ball is my all-time favorite though!!!

Maniac

As much as I do like playing one pocket, it's quite a bear for me to watch. But with the having teeth pulled or watching one pocket.... though it's a toss up, I'll watch the game!

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I have to take myself out of the One Pocket opinions. I am so biased toward One Pocket, I cannot be objective.

I get to watch some great One Pocket player play every month and sometimes during the month when they match up. Lots of fun for m.

ThePoliteSniper

Fruitshop Owner
Silver Member
I like watching games with more tactics and thinking involved. So I prefer watching 8-Ball, 14.1 and snooker over 9- and 10-Ball.
Never seen a game of One Pocket though.

Foolio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love playing pocket billiards so I'm happy playing any game as long as there's a cue in my hand.

As for watching, I believe 3 cushion to be very exciting. I frequent this pool hall and sometimes just sit and watch the better plyers go on runs. I rarely play and have a high run of two, but I love watching them play.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some of the most fun matches I have ever watched were between B/C players playing for "a little" more money then they should. :)

3C is an awsome game to watch. Besides one pocket, 3C IMO has the most creativity of all the cue sports.

G.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom:

Interesting you classified 10-ball in "rotation games" and "call shot" AWAY from rotation games. Remember, that PROPER 10-ball is played according to age-old (and world-standardized) call-shot rules.

Anyway, what gets my blood flowing are:

• a player making an incredible shot out of the rack, and soaring off into a high run in 14.1
  • a 3C player (like Dick Jaspers) running an extremely rare "20" in a match, when he needed it most (e.g. he was behind in points with his opponent showing all the signs of being "on fire")
  • a player like Efren or Scott Frost finding an "impossible" shot into his hole in One Pocket, and then running the game out.
  • Snooker: Ronnie O'Sullivan, Shaun Murphy, Judd Trump, and any of a number of fast-and-loose snooker players that "no shot to them is impossible -- just thwack the back of those pockets from any distance, any angle."
I yawn at 9-ball matches. In fact, I deleted the setting on my DVR that recorded "pool" matches, because I find myself just deleting (without viewing) recorded 9-ball match after 9-ball match, with only the "blue moon" non-9-ball match being recorded. 9-ball just doesn't do it for me.

-Sean

Last edited:

Measle Ball

King of the .99-ball run.
Silver Member
This is a really tough poll, perhaps a bit too generalized for me. But even though I didn't vote I feel compelled to answer, so here it goes.

I truly enjoy watching women's 9-ball tournaments on live streaming; they are competitive but all the players are still living afterwards. I don't enjoy watching men's 9-ball nearly as much, but it is something when nothing else is available.

I enjoy watching 10-ball substantially more than 9-ball as the "luck" factor is virtually eliminated.

I also enjoy watching one-hole for the strategy and skill, and banks for sheer skill.

I enjoy watching three-cushion for its challenge but I do find myself getting bored quicker than watching pocket billiard games. I would love to try three-cushion sometime but I don't think there's a table within 200 miles of me, except maybe across the border.

I enjoy watching 14.1 for its demanding precision and position play, and the fact that there can be more than one "correct" way to run a rack, much depending on the shooters themselves. Not to mention the intense concentration required for a high run.

Can't ever recall watching snooker via stream or TV- sure looks like a fun challenge, though- never played it.

Now as for playing- I vastly prefer the call-shot games such as 14.1; I have never played 10-ball but would take it over anything except straight pool. But I still enjoy 8-ball and probably always will.

In sum, I enjoy watching most- if not all- cue games; a very great deal depends on what type of mood I'm in. And I would rather play call-shot games over anything else.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching all pocket billiards games. It's not the game that makes it exciting; it's the player.

What's exciting about playing or watching pool for me? In a word, Keith McCready.

Attachments

• Allen Hopkins and Keith McCready.JPG
    Allen Hopkins and Keith McCready.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 124

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching all pocket billiards games. It's not the game that makes it exciting; it's the player.

What's exciting about playing or watching pool for me? In a word, Keith McCready.

JAM, thats an awsome pic of 2 guys that were ducked by basically the east coast and west coast WORLDS......back in the day! could you imagine Quake and Allen on the road together?......we all would pay to see these guys play and tell stories!

Trust me folks...i have had the pleasure of sitting and drinking beers with Allen and the stories are what we all would imagine they are!!!!! I know each year at the EXPO at the Blue Grotto we all will have a good ole time and new friendships are made.....hope to see you all ther this year!

G.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Jack it!

I voted for 3-cushion...but I like 1-pocket equally.

These two games most remind me of walking through a park and
stopping to watch a chess match.Spectators watch these games
because you get to play it in your mind...and you learn something
when you see a better solution to a problem.

However,in an action room,I tend to watch whatever game that
has the biggest action.
It's not just greed...it's to see something real...the BS stops when the
serious betting starts.

You'll hear a lot of 'who can beat who' but around action....it's the $$$$
that tells the truth

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I like watching all pool games, as well as 3C, it is 14-1, played by great players, that really does it for me.