Joint Design

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was reloading some ammunition last night on my Hornady press and got me thinking about its quick release design for its dies. The press uses a cam-lock design to assist in quick removal as apposed to the standard 7/8"-14 thread. The dies only need approx 45º of rotation to lock and unlock.

I wonder if a similar design could be adapted for pool cues. What are your thoughts?

Here is a picture to give you an idea how the quick release is used on the reloading press.

reloading-metallic-header.jpg

Have a great day,

Corey

deadhead

more money than sense...
Silver Member
Sounds like uni-lock or other proprietery QR designs to me. I think that is the best it can get in terms of quick release design related to cues. Seeeing as how cues need to maintain their "roundness" (for lack of a better word) a design involving an eccentric cam may not work as well, as I can see it lending itself to a looser fit between the butt and shaft section especially compared to a screw type joint (which all current QR designs incorporate by removing the upper threadss from the pin), which applies a clamping or downward pressure to the pieces. A bigger factor to me is the density or consistency of the joint material, with my personal favorites being true wood to wood or wood to ivory. One of these days I would like to order a cue with a solid ivory half joint on both the butt and the shaft, most likely with a G10 pin, sounds like the feel would be right up my alley...

D

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A reloading press will achieve greated concentricity of the ammo if the die is set so that it floats a little and the ammo is allowed to self-center on the stroke.

A cue needs to be straight and tight, more like that of a take-down rifle. The principles are roughly the same, the precision machining is not. The take-down rifle needs to have some really well done machining if it is to maintain its zero from take-down to put-back-together.

dave_k

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Standard non quick release cues take 5-10 seconds to put together, why does it ever need to be faster?!?!

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Standard non quick release cues take 5-10 seconds to put together, why does it ever need to be faster?!?!

It gives people something else to market and claim it's a better feature. More options more sales. People want to be different just like everyone else :)

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree somewhat.

I have a gunsmith -cuemaker friend . He talked about a Colet style Joint. I think your looking close - but keep thinking its there you know it is !! Keep thinking outside the box!!! Compared to gunsmith work cues are simple. Mark

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@HollyWood
I do all my own gunsmithing and that is what got me thinking about this subject. It would take some planning to create such a joint and I doubt my abilities would allow me to create such a joint on my manual machines. I suspect a good CNC design could be vetted out into a working product.