books on history,photo's

chucknduck

Registered
I am in process of finishing basement/mancave and am trying to find photo's or illustrations of billiard halls/rooms from the 30's-40's , reason being I have old Victor 10 foot (model name unknown) that is from that time period I think and would be nice to create room with feel old old place (minus stale beer,cigarette smoke), Have some great
source' s for building materials (Second Chance, etc.) Photo's could help
putting this together,...going for the older worn look, not the fancy(expensive) Carnegie/Rockefeller all wood style.Any Ideas/suggestions welcome except the dog's playing poker picture.......have attached photo's and because of hefty weight,the slates are not on table so it can be rolled around. Have done a bunch of work refinishing this, restored the ball returns, routed panel look into it (had plain flat sides,ends...I can hear some "keep it original folks cringing",..sorry) sanded everything, stained panels and and aprons darker, had to cut and shape new feet (solid hard maple), fixed the old gouge's in the rails (belt buckle damage maybe) with matching wood and am almost done refinishing them,made new feather strips, too match old tapered ones,had to replace old Willie Hoppe cushions, sorry Will..... ....
This was originally a pool hall table here in Baltimore or so I was told by owner who sold it to me for $100.00 20 years ago. Table had original beige heavy duty paint (with little dark flecks) back then. Haven't yet found my old photo's from when the "Baby" was first "delivered" ......

aprons and corner leg pool table.jpg

restored table side view1 email.jpg

restored table end view.jpg

P1020952.jpg

ball returns.jpg

Last edited:

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great looking table, looks like a Brunswick Moderne circa 1937/1946, the side stretcher supports might have be added because it's a 10 footer.

The Birdseye Maple and accent darker wood really pop, are the rails walnut or rosewood?

I have seen pictures of the Brunswick Moderne in color, try searching here on AZB keyword Moderne.

Regards

Joe

chucknduck

Registered
rails

Was told by Ken Hash ( he's nearby) that they are rosewood on top and walnut along outer edge,... Table is a Victor, best guess by Ed Lanza is a modified Palmer ( Fluted legs being the difference)... when I sanded and patched up rails the walnut was lighter than the rosewood and I had to re-stain (took a bit of mixing and matching) to match it to the rosewood. It does look like the Moderne/Commander or Streamliner. here is original look after paint was taken off,...also see the lally column that stymied project for a while.
pool table 1.jpg

pool table 6.jpg

chucknduck

Registered
Lally column removal

Got a structural engineer to figure out correct way to reinforce I-beam, .... C channel welded into both webs and 1/2 inch plate welded on bottom flange, also added vertical C-channel at both ends going from beam down into floor (footers added next to block footer)

ULTIMATE-BILL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
posters

try mr 3 cushion he has old posters for sale. His name is Bill Smith and is a billiard player.

One question did you have to rebuild tracks for balls to run to box? If so please advise how. pm me will the how part thanks

I am in process of finishing basement/mancave and am trying to find photo's or illustrations of billiard halls/rooms from the 30's-40's , reason being I have old Victor 10 foot (model name unknown) that is from that time period I think and would be nice to create room with feel old old place (minus stale beer,cigarette smoke), Have some great
source' s for building materials (Second Chance, etc.) Photo's could help
putting this together,...going for the older worn look, not the fancy(expensive) Carnegie/Rockefeller all wood style.Any Ideas/suggestions welcome except the dog's playing poker picture.......have attached photo's and because of hefty weight,the slates are not on table so it can be rolled around. Have done a bunch of work refinishing this, restored the ball returns, routed panel look into it (had plain flat sides,ends...I can hear some "keep it original folks cringing",..sorry) sanded everything, stained panels and and aprons darker, had to cut and shape new feet (solid hard maple), fixed the old gouge's in the rails (belt buckle damage maybe) with matching wood and am almost done refinishing them,made new feather strips, too match old tapered ones,had to replace old Willie Hoppe cushions, sorry Will..... ....
This was originally a pool hall table here in Baltimore or so I was told by owner who sold it to me for $100.00 20 years ago. Table had original beige heavy duty paint (with little dark flecks) back then. Haven't yet found my old photo's from when the "Baby" was first "delivered" ......

View attachment 320179

View attachment 320180

View attachment 320181

View attachment 320187

View attachment 320188