Sidearm stroke

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Side arm

He looked like he had a solid hit and his stroke / follow through wasn't all that bad for a side arm.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Most of the side arm strokes come from starting to play before you are tall enough to have a normal stroke. The players like Keith and Davis have the side arm thing going on, but feel, why fix it if it ain't broke. Johnnyt

gehawe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you see a "side winder", there is danger ahead.

Oliver Ortmann is a side winder, for example.

Those guys started playing before they could talk.

:wink:

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Danger ahead is right. They have been playing since they were kids and have had the confidence in what they were doing to keep doing it no matter how it looked.

A player with that much experience, probably put down the textbooks at an early age and says "textbook pool is for good readers and not good pool players" lol

But by all means try them a few sets... :thumbup:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different strokes for differenet folks. :thumbup:

Attachments

• Keith McCready at Glass City Open.jpg
    Keith McCready at Glass City Open.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 477

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This clip is from Kiss Shot, a 1989 TV movie. I have it dialed in on a guy with a sidearm stroke. Let it load and it will repeat:

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=ikgk5sEPIVA&start_at=435&end_at=437

The hit sounds good but his follow through looks really weird.

The reality of every shot is to see what you want in your mind....
....and make the cue hit the cue ball.

Great players control the cue, not their arm.

A six-time world snooker champion, Ray Reardon, had the opposite of side-arm...
....he had a flying elbow....but his stroke was straight.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
Lots of attitude and poor fundamentals...........What every good hustler looks for when he hits a new town.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam:

Did Keith make any comments when he saw that guy's stroke?

I let it run for a minute or so. I like to hear the hit and the ball slamming into the pocket. :)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you see a "side winder", there is danger ahead.

Oliver Ortmann is a side winder, for example.

Those guys started playing before they could talk.

:wink:

Ortmann's arm position was conventional when he was younger. Later, back pain led him to experiment with his stance and stroke to alleviate the pain, and the sidearm approach helped. Surgery eventually took care of the back pain, but he kept the sidearm stroke since, by then, he was so used to it.

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different strokes for differenet folks. :thumbup:

Jam,
Surprised you didn't let the cat out of the bag on who that old fart is in the video.

I knock balls around with him whenever I can. I even win a game or two if I can get him away from the cue lathes.

Have a great day,

Corey

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This clip is from Kiss Shot, a 1989 TV movie. I have it dialed in on a guy with a sidearm stroke. Let it load and it will repeat:

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=ikgk5sEPIVA&start_at=435&end_at=437

The hit sounds good but his follow through looks really weird.

He's like, a mile away from the cb, so his bridge ends up near the joint. He exaggerates the follow through but it might be for this one shot - hard to say if he does this all the time.

To another poster, Orttman isn't a sidewinder like this guy. In fact Orttman is pretty normal lining up. It's that just his torso tends to be further away from his line. Most players bring their body closer. I think players who line up perfectly look kind of weird and stiff,,,they're immediately noticeable as a result.

Attachments

• orttman7-19h40m06s176.jpg
    orttman7-19h40m06s176.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

djg576

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone know the name of the player in the clip? All I could find was that Jerry Briesath was credited as billiard coach.