What's inside your Maple Shaft?

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tight grain, a minimum of 15 grains per inch and as hi as 30 grains per inch.

Straight grain. The tight grain will run from the Joint to the Ferrule in a straight line, if it runs from one side of the shaft and off the other, forget it.

No defects. No knots, no sugar marks or streaks.

The best thing inside?

I like the Flat Faced Self Centering 3/8" x 10 TPI that helps give the great wood to wood hit. (I do admit, there are many fantastic pins out there.)

There is only one way to get the wood to wood hit, WOOD.

Smile, it's Wednesday.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does “wood to wood” mean?

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
SPAM ALERT!

This is a discussion about the best shafts ever made, Maple.

Not spam, just thought I'd share my experience...lol. I would never have thought that a non-wood cue would feel similar but, somehow, it does.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maple shafts are all i ever had
except a few ash and one or 2 pie shape cut maple

I can't tell the difference,ash might be a little sweeter
feel

please do not ask me to explain

Jimmy C-Note

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Straight grain. The tight grain will run from the Joint to the Ferrule in a straight line, if it runs from one side of the shaft and off the other, forget it.

The best thing inside?

I like the Flat Faced Self Centering 3/8" x 10 TPI that helps give the great wood to wood hit. (I do admit, there are many fantastic pins out there.)

Smile, it's Wednesday.

It's not the same without photos.
Where are the photos of the maple shaft thats been broken over your knee? :smile:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not the same without photos.
Where are the photos of the maple shaft thats been broken over your knee? :smile:

I prefer to use other peoples knees, not mine.

All kidding aside, I have never broke one cue over anything in anger. Anger is a negative emotion that prevents the learning experience in many situations.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I still play with the original shaft of my ‘68 Joss.
...never had to be refaced at the joint...the original ivory ferrule is gone...re-tapered to a
caromish shaped 12mm with a fibre ferrule....still plays like a dream.

Mind you, when I’m having a bad day, I swear it’s got termites...:eek:

Anybody wonder if these composite shafts will still play good after 50 years?

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still play with the original shaft of my ‘68 Joss.
...never had to be refaced at the joint...the original ivory ferrule is gone...re-tapered to a
caromish shaped 12mm with a fibre ferrule....still plays like a dream.

Mind you, when I’m having a bad day, I swear it’s got termites...:eek:

Anybody wonder if these composite shafts will still play good after 50 years?

SVB won every accolade in the world playing and breaking with his Dan Janes. Fibre ferrules play great. I have a fibre ferrule on my 88 Joss West. The one original shaft I got with that cue is very slim. Its got to be around 12mm. It hits great. Had Ernie refinish and rewrap that cue and its so nice I am paranoid about denting it.

It has 12 ivory diamonds and the Cali morons have declared war on each and every one of those legal little critters.

Stroud built cues that hit good in my humble opinion even with steel joints.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
amazing how new technology scares the shit outta people and they feel the need to bash and pontificate about their wood on wood fantasies... maybe this should be NPR? LOL

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Inside my maple shafts

The best thing inside?

Smile, it's Wednesday.

What is in my maple shafts is something man cannot reproduce with man made materials...

My personal thoughts about allot of the shafts made with man made materials .
Most of the time when there is man made materials in a shaft it is because the cue factory cant make and a solid maple shaft that will stay straight .
You would think that a cue maker should be able to make a decent solid maple shaft before designing and making a copy of a solid maple shaft using man made materials.
How many companies in China that makes solid maple shafts that don't warp?
Personally I don't know of one , they hade no choice but to come up with something different to stay in business.
Thus came the gimmick of the Laminated LD shafts and maple shafts made of fiberglass , like the SST .

Being honest there are some custom cue makers who use the best materials and made laminated LD shafts and were not out for the profit only .
Some cue makers really put their heart into their work .
Point is not all Laminated LD shafts are not equal .
Wouldn't be fair to put everyone who makes Laminated shafts into the same category .

Funny the amount of pool players that think all solid maple shafts warp.
And that is 100% correct if your buying shafts or cues that are made by certain cue makers or cue factories and even some custom cue makers .
But there are those who have the knowledge , talent or wisdom to make a solid maple shaft that doesn't warp....

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tight grain, a minimum of 15 grains per inch and as hi as 30 grains per inch. ...

Hmmm. Per qbilder last year: "Don't stress ring count. In fact, forget anything you've ever heard and use your own head for second to answer a simple question. What wood is best? A tree grows stunted and dwarfed by its competitors(other trees) and bad habitat, so it has a bunch of grain lines per inch. Another tree grows fast & strong because it's the dominant among its peers and has a healthy habitat, so it has wide grain lines. Which do you want on your cue?

There are many, many variables, but those two scenarios are by far the most common. I spend a lot of time in the woods cutting trees. If I cut half a dozen trees all near one another and all are same age, except one is considerably larger and has wider grain, that tells me it is the dominant tree of the stand and likely has the best wood. It sprouted up fast and drown it's siblings of sunlight. When I'm turning squares into shafts, my initial thoughts are pretty much always confirmed."

Reactions: JC

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
amazing how new technology scares the shit outta people and they feel the need to bash and pontificate about their wood on wood fantasies... maybe this should be NPR? LOL

The technology is not new just new to the pool world. I've hit with Revo and have a myriad of different cues. If I thought Revo was a panacea believe me I would purchase one.

Busty killed everybody at Derby City with a plain old maple shaft with a regular ferrule and then stopped by SMHB and relieved certain parties of their dough.

I didn't see him miss a lot of shots on those wicked tight pockets.

That being said I have been playing with a tiger LD shaft with a 11.75 mm tip.