Question for revo owners:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds stupid and I'm trying my best to figure out what's up but I'm, as usual straggling to do so. Anyways, here is my dilemma:

I play somewhat "ok" with my revo 12.4 shaft when playing 10 ball, 9 ball and 8 ball.

Here's the rub for me...... I just started back (after MANY, MANY years) playing 14.1. As I said, I play OK 10 ball... etc...etc... with the revo but, I can't play 14.1 with my revo.

It seems that the revo is best suited (to me) for power play. I am having a HUGE problem with a lot of shots that come up in 14.1. More or less........ shots that I have to "feel" or I'm screwed and my already PITIFUL run..... ends even sooner.

On the other hand, I have a JP cue with the pro-lite... 11.75 shaft and 14.1 is much, much easier with that cue.

One shaft is CF. The other is laminated or whatever they call it. They have the same type tip but the results are hugely different in 14.1 for me.

Also, I play much better 14.1 with a 58" cue. In 10 ball etc... I play much better with a 65" cue.

Anyone else experience that?

If so, what did you do? Do you have a "14.1 cue" and a different cue to play rotation games with?

I don't remember having this type issue before I stopped playing. Then again, that was ballpark of 26 years ago....

Thanks for any and all advice,

Rake

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can't advise. Decide what you play best with and use it. If you play certain games and play better with certain cues...there ya go. In general One cue should cover everything... If you only had 1 cue you'd work it out (adjust),

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I strictly only play 8 ball so I can't relate to switching games but in the past when playing other games I never switched cues. If you like the thinner shaft for 14.1 maybe you should try the new 12.0 mm becue prime M shaft.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds stupid and I'm trying my best to figure out what's up but I'm, as usual straggling to do so. Anyways, here is my dilemma:

I play somewhat "ok" with my revo 12.4 shaft when playing 10 ball, 9 ball and 8 ball.

Here's the rub for me...... I just started back (after MANY, MANY years) playing 14.1. As I said, I play OK 10 ball... etc...etc... with the revo but, I can't play 14.1 with my revo.

It seems that the revo is best suited (to me) for power play. I am having a HUGE problem with a lot of shots that come up in 14.1. More or less........ shots that I have to "feel" or I'm screwed and my already PITIFUL run..... ends even sooner.

On the other hand, I have a JP cue with the pro-lite... 11.75 shaft and 14.1 is much, much easier with that cue.

One shaft is CF. The other is laminated or whatever they call it. They have the same type tip but the results are hugely different in 14.1 for me.

Also, I play much better 14.1 with a 58" cue. In 10 ball etc... I play much better with a 65" cue.

Anyone else experience that?

If so, what did you do? Do you have a "14.1 cue" and a different cue to play rotation games with?

I don't remember having this type issue before I stopped playing. Then again, that was ballpark of 26 years ago....

Thanks for any and all advice,

Rake
I play mainly 14.1 and 9-ball. I did play with a Revo shaft for about 6 months before switching back, as I didn't like the sound and feel of the hit, but I know others that love it. Personally I feel it best (at least for myself) to play with the same cue and shaft for all games - whatever kind of cue/shaft it is. It's hard enough to get to feeling really comfortable with one cue/shaft in terms of precisely compensating in your aim for deflection on various shots when applying various amounts of spin and speed, which is critical to playing either game well. To have to think about that for 2 different cues/shafts to me would be nearly impossible.

Although 9-ball and 14.1 are very different games and you certainly spin the cue ball and move it around the table far more in 9-ball, still to play both games well you have to feel comfortable playing any type of shot - soft, hard, spin or center ball., at any given time. Both games require having a very soft touch when needed, but also being able to let your stroke out, with accuracy, when you need to. I would just hate to try to go back and forth playing with a different cue for each of the two games.

Last edited:

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy a new 3x4 JB case, stick all your cues in there and go play each game with whatever cue suits you.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had more of a problem with this with my old 314-2. The Revo seems quite a better on touch shots but all low deflection shafts will have issues.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
I can relate in a way: I have both 12.4 and 12.9 and their setups are entirely different, so I practice the full range on the 12.4 and when I use my 12.9 I restrict myself to conservative shots. It’s more than enough and I’m happy with that because I don’t have to change my stance, bridge length etc. I only play with English on shots where the compensation is somewhat similar, if not I won’t bother – until the day comes that I’m prepared to learn.

The reality is that all setups are different and have strengths and weaknesses and there really is no easy way around your problem. Either you stick to just one and learn everything or do the golf club thing... but my opinion is you stick to the revo because It’s just 14.1 that you need to get used to. Learning to remember everything instinctively on so many setups just plain sucks...

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I feel like I'm not getting my question across in the right way.

Please keep in mind, I'm not a great conversationalist/people person but I try to relate to others best I can and i REALLY appreciate you folks for overlooking my shortcomings in that area.

Ok:

I'm not a HUGE numbers runner in 14.1, never have been. My LIFETIME high-run is 156 and that was a lifetime ago. But, I do for the biggest part, remember how to play 14.1.

The thing is, the damn CF cue ........ that I really like with rotation games, especially 10 ball is freaking killing me when i have to really, really baby a bal to nudge another ball over to become a break/key ball etc....etc..

Sure, I have to baby balls in 10 ball too, but it's just not the same (to me) as it is with 14.1 situations. As most know, 14.1 requires a whole new level of CB control that games like 10, 9 and 8 ball just don't necessarily have to have since with those games you "usually" can shoot at a somewhat large area instead of two inches from "x" ball and within one inch of another ball or "your screwed" and your run is over.

Those type situations are not super easy for anyone but, to me.... LD "wooden" shafts are best suited for the nudge this / nudge that shots.

Believe me, I've put many, many hours into CF cues and can come nowhere near my current high-runs with wood.

As I have said before, "I really love the CF for power games".

Starting back to 14.1 has got me to thinking that I may have made a mistake spending the last YEAR playing with CF.

I know it sounds odd, lol..... then again, nothing about me seems to not be odd compared to others.

A friend of mine brought several other brands, types, sizes... etc...etc cues over for me to compare to maybe help with my certainty odd situation.

Any nuggets of wisdom is appreciated.

Even though I'm a trainwreck right now, I'll update this thread.

Thanks,

Rake

Last edited:

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
If you don't feel you have the same level of fine cue ball control with your Revo shaft as you do with your other cues/shafts here are two things you can look at:

1) You mention using the same type of tip on both cues, but not what type. In my experience the Revo gives the best results in terms of fine control with the Victory Soft that it ships with, especially when it is still fairly new and not worn down and losing some of the softness. I'd never played with a soft tip before using a Revo and really enjoy it now I am used to it. I have run a rack of 8 ball on a 9' table without ever touching a rail with this setup. The primary reason for this is the Revo shaft is stiffer than wood and therefore the soft tip helps with slow, touch shots. I especially find it is possible to roll shots in much slower with this setup than with a regular shaft and a harder tip

2) Do some fine cue ball control training exercises with both cues/shafts and log the results. Run them 10+ times to get some reasonable statistics. I think the traditional "L" exercise is a great test of cue ball control, especially if you play it only one rail, or no rail if you have that level of control. This should enable you to identify the differences and concentrate on resolving them with the Revo if you are able to adjust accordingly.

railbird99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you just started a game you haven't played in many years, with a shaft you just started playing with not too long ago? It's not really a mystery here. If you are used to a thinner wood shaft playing 14.1 back in the day, and you are rusty in 14.1 now to begin with, then of course a huge change in equipment is only going to compound your inconsistency and lack of practice in 14.1.

Stick to one shaft, and over time, your game will adjust.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you just started a game you haven't played in many years, with a shaft you just started playing with not too long ago? It's not really a mystery here. If you are used to a thinner wood shaft playing 14.1 back in the day, and you are rusty in 14.1 now to begin with, then of course a huge change in equipment is only going to compound your inconsistency and lack of practice in 14.1.

Stick to one shaft, and over time, your game will adjust.

I had a similar situation, only mine was playing on barboxes vs. 9 ft. tables. I felt much better "bunting balls around the 7 footer" with a 11.75mm pechauer pro light, while I felt I played better on the big table with the standard 13mm maple shaft. In the end, I decided to stick with the laminate and make the best of it. I still suck. Good luck. :cool:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't feel you have the same level of fine cue ball control with your Revo shaft as you do with your other cues/shafts here are two things you can look at:

1) You mention using the same type of tip on both cues, but not what type. In my experience the Revo gives the best results in terms of fine control with the Victory Soft that it ships with, especially when it is still fairly new and not worn down and losing some of the softness. I'd never played with a soft tip before using a Revo and really enjoy it now I am used to it. I have run a rack of 8 ball on a 9' table without ever touching a rail with this setup. The primary reason for this is the Revo shaft is stiffer than wood and therefore the soft tip helps with slow, touch shots. I especially find it is possible to roll shots in much slower with this setup than with a regular shaft and a harder tip

2) Do some fine cue ball control training exercises with both cues/shafts and log the results. Run them 10+ times to get some reasonable statistics. I think the traditional "L" exercise is a great test of cue ball control, especially if you play it only one rail, or no rail if you have that level of control. This should enable you to identify the differences and concentrate on resolving them with the Revo if you are able to adjust accordingly.

Good post, you beat me to it. I think with most low deflection shafts you need to compensate with a soft tip. Personally, I have a 1st gen Predator w/Kamui soft.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Ok, I feel like I'm not getting my question across in the right way.

Please keep in mind, I'm not a great conversationalist/people person but I try to relate to others best I can and i REALLY appreciate you folks for overlooking my shortcomings in that area.

Ok:

I'm not a HUGE numbers runner in 14.1, never have been. My LIFETIME high-run is 156 and that was a lifetime ago. But, I do for the biggest part, remember how to play 14.1.

The thing is, the damn CF cue ........ that I really like with rotation games, especially 10 ball is freaking killing me when i have to really, really baby a bal to nudge another ball over to become a break/key ball etc....etc..

Sure, I have to baby balls in 10 ball too, but it's just not the same (to me) as it is with 14.1 situations. As most know, 14.1 requires a whole new level of CB control that games like 10, 9 and 8 ball just don't necessarily have to have since with those games you "usually" can shoot at a somewhat large area instead of two inches from "x" ball and within one inch of another ball or "your screwed" and your run is over.

Those type situations are not super easy for anyone but, to me.... LD "wooden" shafts are best suited for the nudge this / nudge that shots.

Believe me, I've put many, many hours into CF cues and can come nowhere near my current high-runs with wood.

As I have said before, "I really love the CF for power games".

Starting back to 14.1 has got me to thinking that I may have made a mistake spending the last YEAR playing with CF.

I know it sounds odd, lol..... then again, nothing about me seems to not be odd compared to others.

A friend of mine brought several other brands, types, sizes... etc...etc cues over for me to compare to maybe help with my certainty odd situation.

Any nuggets of wisdom is appreciated.

Even though I'm a trainwreck right now, I'll update this thread.

Thanks,

Rake

For me I used a shorter pull back and follow through.

Are you using a hard tip or soft tip?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Synthetic Shafts

Other than wood shafts have been around a long time, for example the spun aluminum cues. The aluminum cues felt like crap in your bridge hand and sounded worse. They also were cheap. The joints wouldn't stand up to much punishment and shot loose but at the price you could buy them by the dozen if they cranked your tractor. Of course they didn't have a joint that came apart and everyone at the pool room would laugh when you came in with one.

Fifty years down the pike and now top name pool companies are making a synthetic shaft. It still sounds like crap to old school players and feels about the same. Difference is it is now the highest dollar shaft around. Whoa Nelly, got to have one! Playing as much differently from a one piece wooden shaft they would have been a very hard sell to go from one to the other. However, the players have been gradually conditioned to shafts that played like this with super hard tips and the various laminated shafts.

My opinion, had the Revo came out at $25 a pop from an unknown company they wouldn't have ever sold enough for most people to know they were out there. However, as the latest and greatest people accept the failings are with their play not the shaft. Actually, it is neither, just major adjustments to be made for people that are used to playing with shafts that play like old school wood.

You aren't getting the feedback you are used to with the Revo and you never will. You either submerse yourself in playing with the Revo and try to learn to accept the new feedback or you stay with what you are comfortable with to play straight pool. Neither answer is wrong. I don't see the big deal of playing with multiple shafts when a player has a playing cue, jump cue, break cue, maybe a spare cue or shaft or two with them. We used to play with the first cue we grabbed off the wall and run racks at will. When the sponsorship money is right top players prove they can play with anything and Efren's greatest play was probably when he was using a fifteen dollar cue.

Hu

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way my brain works - if it works at all - is get used to one cue and use it. I've never hit a ball with a revo shaft or a 65" cue.

I use a 58" Woodworth with a wood shaft and milk dud tip. Well made cue - hit enough balls with it to get used to the cue and you can play just about any game with it.

It is possible the op is suffering from too many options syndrome.

railbird99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The aluminum cues felt like crap in your bridge hand and sounded worse.

This isn't aluminum. Just because decades ago a new material was tried and it failed, doesn't mean wood is best, and advances can't be made.

The natural progression from wood to other materials has happened in a lot of other sports. e.g. tennis. Wood isn't consistent, it warps, shaft diameter changes over time from sanding, it doesn't have a perfect memory, so it can warp simply from bending on the table from breaking for example.

Your mindset is expected. Things don't change over night, and people are naturally resistant to change. This doesn't mean that you should switch to carbon fiber and that wood shafts are complete shit. Wood is proven to work great, so play with what you're comfortable with, but don't bash innovation just because it's different than what you're used to.

However, the players have been gradually conditioned to shafts that played like this with super hard tips and the various laminated shafts.

On the contrary, players have been conditioned to playing with wood shafts forever, so obviously anything different is going to feel uncomfortable at first.

However, as the latest and greatest people accept the failings are with their play not the shaft.

True statement. No matter how good the Revo is, it isn't going to transform a bad player into a good player. What it does have the potential to do, is add that little bit extra consistency and longevity that a good player can utilize to their advantage.

You aren't getting the feedback you are used to with the Revo and you never will.

I get plenty of feedback with my Revo, and I prefer it's hit to a wood shaft. You are correct in that you aren't going to get the same feedback, obviously, and again, when you shoot with something for 40 years and then try something completely different, it's expected that you are going to prefer what has become comfortable to you.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
We are saying the same things

This isn't aluminum. Just because decades ago a new material was tried and it failed, doesn't mean wood is best, and advances can't be made.

The natural progression from wood to other materials has happened in a lot of other sports. e.g. tennis. Wood isn't consistent, it warps, shaft diameter changes over time from sanding, it doesn't have a perfect memory, so it can warp simply from bending on the table from breaking for example.

Your mindset is expected. Things don't change over night, and people are naturally resistant to change. This doesn't mean that you should switch to carbon fiber and that wood shafts are complete shit. Wood is proven to work great, so play with what you're comfortable with, but don't bash innovation just because it's different than what you're used to.

On the contrary, players have been conditioned to playing with wood shafts forever, so obviously anything different is going to feel uncomfortable at first.

True statement. No matter how good the Revo is, it isn't going to transform a bad player into a good player. What it does have the potential to do, is add that little bit extra consistency and longevity that a good player can utilize to their advantage.

I get plenty of feedback with my Revo, and I prefer it's hit to a wood shaft. You are correct in that you aren't going to get the same feedback, obviously, and again, when you shoot with something for 40 years and then try something completely different, it's expected that you are going to prefer what has become comfortable to you.

Aside from seeming to think I am hidebound in tradition we are saying pretty much the same things. Having worked in R&D on the cutting edge of new developments and competed in other things where fractions of a second mattered I am far from committed to old school. Just trying to balance the picture and help the thread starter understand that the feedback isn't ever going to be the same between wood and carbon fiber. He can accept the new or stay with the old, even use both. However, he isn't going to get the best of both worlds out of a single shaft, not with today's state of the art anyway.

The very best in the world misjudge squirt and deflection sometimes. Minimizing the effects of both makes sense if trying to play your best pool. The trade-off for those with many years playing with particularly one piece maple is that the feedback is going to be different. Those starting with today's shafts will no doubt grow used to them and think how they react is the right way for a shaft to behave. No right or wrong way, just what a player is used to. I do think just by the nature of the beasts you get more feedback from wood than a shaft that is designed to reduce feedback when you think about it. More seems better to the player used to more. Less may seem better to the player used to less.

I recommend that new players start with low deflection shafts today, it shortens the learning curve. Hitting balls for fun I usually spend at least some time hitting balls with a one piece maple shaft and using a slipstroke. Not the easiest and arguably not the best way to do things but I enjoy the art and that is enough reason to try to keep it alive.

Hu