NPR warning

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
starting this morning, somebody has added a phone to my account, changed email passwords, attempted to hack every account I have, open credit cards from more than 1 place/Bank, opened Samsung pay etc.

Its the weekend and I've gotten very little help.

Cannot report to 2 of 3 credit bureaus without sending in mail which will take(according to them more than 10 days)

5 seconds ago(during this post) I got another message about them trying another account.

After I turned the new line(stolen) on my phone account off and changing password the guy called and tried to get my phone turned off and his back on.

The fraud dept with Verizon has been of little help and I kinda expect my phone to be off by time I wake up(if I can sleep)

They have basically tried getting control of every dime I have and I'm not sure they won't be able to by time I get help.

Just be aware if you start getting emails and messages to move fast if that's possible.

These scumbags should be terminated on sight for ruining peoples lives.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
starting this morning, somebody has added a phone to my account, changed email passwords, attempted to hack every account I have, open credit cards from more than 1 place/Bank, opened Samsung pay etc.

Cannot report to 2 of 3 credit bureaus without sending in mail which will take(according to them more than 10 days)

5 seconds ago(during this post) I got another message about them trying another account.

After I turned the new line(stolen) on my phone account off and changing password the guy called and tried to get my phone turned off and his back on.

The fraud dept with Verizon has been of little help and I kinda expect my phone to be off by time I wake up(if I can sleep)

They have basically tried getting control of every dime I have and I'm not sure they won't be able to by time I get help.

Just be aware if you start getting emails and messages to move fast if that's possible.

That's really rough, I feel anger just reading your situation.

Not sure whether you can do this on-line, but if you can, immediately freeze your accounts with all the credit reporting agencies. That will not allow anyone to access your credit report and should not allow anyone from getting credit approval. Do the same, if possible, with all your financial accounts...close them and /or change passwords and don't store them on your computer. Hope this helps & good luck.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
O no what a nightmare. When that guy said yesterday you were sending him horrible messages this is what i feared. Account takeover is not permanent! Hang in there brother. Everyone on this side of honest good people is pulling for you and you will come out stronger.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
That's really rough, I feel anger just reading your situation.

Not sure whether you can do this on-line, but if you can, immediately freeze your accounts with all the credit reporting agencies. That will not allow anyone to access your credit report and should not allow anyone from getting credit approval. Do the same, if possible, with all your financial accounts...close them and /or change passwords and don't store them on your computer. Hope this helps & good luck.

2 of the agency's make you do it by mail, I froze the other one. Hard to believe in 2020 thieves have a week and 1/2 head start on honest people

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
O no what a nightmare. When that guy said yesterday you were sending him horrible messages this is what i feared. Account takeover is not permanent! Hang in there brother. Everyone on this side of honest good people is pulling for you and you will come out stronger.

nah, that guy made that up.

Thanks

Jason

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had this happen tome a few years back. Just so you know, once you do a fraud alert/ credit block, with one credit agency, it automatically blocks your credit with all others. Sometimes this is only for three months, so extend it for at least a year. I have put a permanent block on my credit, and like it that way. No credit, or credit checks can be done on your account without your approval first. Also file a police report, and get a case #, it gives you more protections, and by law credit companies, and businesses that have charges or cards in your name, are required by law, to give you the information that they have. Some will tell you that they can't give you that info, but by law, they have to, if you have filed a fraud report with the sheriff/police. Also let your bank know, and they will put extra protections on your account. I live out in a rural area, and how I found out was, my mail lady noticed that I was home while they had a two week change of address put in for me, so she came and asked me what's up with that, as it didn't look right. I quickly changed that, and only lost two days of mail. What crooks were doing were going online to us postal, and changing your mail delivery, so that new credit cards would come to them. Boy did I lay into our states postal HQ for allowing my address to be changed so easily. They totally didn't care. Call all of your credit card companies that you have, and inform them, also they can look up to see if any other credit has been applied for in your name, and shut that off. They will send you new cards. Everyone should put a credit block on their account. PMme if you want to talk, I'll send my phone #

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Had this happen tome a few years back. Just so you know, once you do a fraud alert/ credit block, with one credit agency, it automatically blocks your credit with all others. Sometimes this is only for three months, so extend it for at least a year. I have put a permanent block on my credit, and like it that way. No credit, or credit checks can be done on your account without your approval first. Also file a police report, and get a case #, it gives you more protections, and by law credit companies, and businesses that have charges or cards in your name, are required by law, to give you the information that they have. Some will tell you that they can't give you that info, but by law, they have to, if you have filed a fraud report with the sheriff/police. Also let your bank know, and they will put extra protections on your account. I live out in a rural area, and how I found out was, my mail lady noticed that I was home while they had a two week change of address put in for me, so she came and asked me what's up with that, as it didn't look right. I quickly changed that, and only lost two days of mail. What crooks were doing were going online to us postal, and changing your mail delivery, so that new credit cards would come to them. Boy did I lay into our states postal HQ for allowing my address to be changed so easily. They totally didn't care. Call all of your credit card companies that you have, and inform them, also they can look up to see if any other credit has been applied for in your name, and shut that off. They will send you new cards. Everyone should put a credit block on their account. PMme if you want to talk, I'll send my phone #

Great info...the only minor correction and addition that I have is: 1) a fraud alert, which is less secure than a credit freeze, will be done to all three agencies when you contact any one of the three...not so with a credit freeze where you must contact all three. 2) also report the identity theft to the FTC.

Here is the FTC web site regarding IT, good info: https://www.identitytheft.gov/Steps

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm still just a basic flip-phone guy. Stuff like this is a big reason. Hope it works out bro. Thieves are the worst of scum.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Sorry to learn of your hardship, Jason.

Make sure all your banks know and also delete or suspend any online banking facilities you have until all of this has been worked out.

After an incident I experienced involving unauthorized use of one of my credit cards, I notified my banks immediately so they'd be on the alert for fraudulent activity in my accounts. Someone then managed to hack my online banking account and made a large wire transfer out of my checking account and my banker called me within two hours of it happening to see it was a legitimate transaction. When I indicated that I wasn't the one who'd initiated the transfer, the transaction was immediately reversed, the perpetrator quickly identified, and the case was referred to the police.

Online banking is one of the areas where you need to protect yourself the most.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
do all that and then never store passwords that are important not to be hacked on your computer. type them in every single time you use them.

and use a second computer for internet messing around and a separate one for important things like banking.

you dont leave your wallet in your car so dont leave its contents on the internet for someone to grab.

good luck with this. and double check to see if a keystroke logger has been put on your computer. hopefully you never let anyone but yourself use it for any reason.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Great info...the only minor correction and addition that I have is: 1) a fraud alert, which is less secure than a credit freeze, will be done to all three agencies when you contact any one of the three...not so with a credit freeze where you must contact all three. 2) also report the identity theft to the FTC.

Here is the FTC web site regarding IT, good info: https://www.identitytheft.gov/Steps

You're right, the freeze didn't work but I couldn't do fraud either on the one I tried it on. They did something else since I went to sleep this morning, no idea what yet but another inquiry went in.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
another thing dont have too much money in any account that has on line privileges. have a separate one that if you need more money in your other account you either write a check or go to your secure bank account in person.

and most banks nowadays have text alerts you can set for whatever parameters you want. like all transactions, suspicious ones only, over a certain amount, etc.

some will have two step. this way for a transaction to go through you have to answer it with an okay from your designated phone.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, with the fraud alert, I did have a credit freeze put on also, and it is still in place. Once you are a victim of fraud, you actually get quite a few more rights. Some things that you normally would have to pay for, they do for free now. We also froze my wifes credit also, as we all of a sudden had attempted charges on her credit out of New York, and England at the same time. Fortunately it didn't look right to the credit card co. so they refused the orders,and called us first. The real pain was changing all our passwords to everything. The credit freeze drove my car dealer nuts when I was negotiating on my last truck. Turns out when you go to look at a new vehicle, if they can get enough info on you, some one is running your credit without you knowing, to see how good of a customer you are. When they got denied because of my freeze, they had to admit it to me, and then tried to give e some BS reason as to why they needed it. I said no. My advise, when you go to look at a car, and don't have a freeze on your account, tell them right away that they are not allowed to until you give them permission to.

Last edited: