Bar leagues how busy and how loud?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I really am trying to not post as many threads. I just was at a meeting the other night for VNEA and I had an epiphany. I decided to not do bar leagues cause it was going to be at a bar and loud music and busy etc. Or at least normally it would be this year might be different. I have also been told that Monday nights don't get busy but people have different ideas on what not busy is.

I was wondering how busy and loud do your bars get during leagues?

Please lets stay on topic.

Thanks

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
If people have different ideas on what not busy is, how will you know which to listen to?

So I really am trying to not post as many threads. I just was at a meeting the other night for VNEA and I had an epiphany. I decided to not do bar leagues cause it was going to be at a bar and loud music and busy etc. Or at least normally it would be this year might be different. I have also been told that Monday nights don't get busy but people have different ideas on what not busy is.

Thanks

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s been a long time since I’ve played in a bar league, but league night in a big pool hall can be pretty damn raucous!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Foam plugs from Walton General Store. Anything you think is too loud IS too loud. Nice thing I've found is you can even hear speech through these things; something about how ears work.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
You seem to not enjoy anything about pool or league pool. You must be bored with everything else if you keep going back to pool which seems to upset you at every turn.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member

Thanks
I’m a bar league junky, here’s how busy and loud they get during league.
  • Bar 1, very busy, quiet like a library.
    Bar 2, not busy, loud as hell
    Bar 3, very busy, super loud
    Bar 4, not busy, quiet with small background noise, usually Fox News.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member

Thanks

You don't play on Friday night with a live band..

You play Tuesday or Wednesday when no one is there..

That's why they host leagues to gain buisiness on slow nights.. often late mid week nights we are the only people there... But the bar can stay open because he has 10 or 20 reliable customers there week in and week out all winter long....

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only time I get annoyed with the loudness and crowds on league nights is due to all those stupid league people being there at that time. The trick to having a not loud and crowded league pool night is to prohibit the league players from coming in and being loud and take up space at that time. No players, no fuss.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The point of venues hosting a pool league is to attract customers, who will pay for food and/or drinks. The point is for it to be busy, so that they can make more money. the venue has to pay for the facility and the equipment, and the expense of operating it all. So of course they want to attract as many people as possible.

Many of those folks will want music. That topic has been done to death, but the average, casual player (the target of leagues) likes to have music playing while they are out for the evening.

If you are looking for a league situation that is quiet and small, that is going to be a tough assignment. Sometimes small bars may not be as busy or as loud. Fraternal organizations (Elks, Moose, Eagles clubs, VFW, etc) often host teams and aren't as likely to be as busy or as loud. Of course you will usually have to be a member of that organization to be able to play for any team they host, and that would require you paying their annual dues, so that may not be for you either.

And virtually all of them will be serving alcohol. And expecting their staff to be compensated (tipped).

Why do you want to play league pool, if this environment isn't something you like?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Thanks

The way I see it playing in bars can help your game, that way you are not distracted when you go to tournaments. Some people can be exceptionally loud and there will always be people milling about at tournaments, if you have not played in these conditions it may throw your game off. After shooting in bar leagues, the only ones we really have up here, I really dont even notice the talking (yelling), music, and people walking around anymore.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I guess to answer what I think is busy I would say depending on the bar 10 or 20 people not related to playing pool in the bar while we are playing pool. And as for loudness if I have to talk over other people or music it is too loud.

You seem to not enjoy anything about pool or league pool. You must be bored with everything else if you keep going back to pool which seems to upset you at every turn.

I enjoy it just on 9 foot tables at a place that is open from 9 am till 1 am. No place exists like that where I live.

I’m a bar league junky, here’s how busy and loud they get during league.
  • Bar 1, very busy, quiet like a library.
    Bar 2, not busy, loud as hell
    Bar 3, very busy, super loud
    Bar 4, not busy, quiet with small background noise, usually Fox News.

Thanks for answering. I am wondering how bar 1 can be very busy and yet quiet? Can you give any estimate on numbers of how many people other than league players are there?

The point of venues hosting a pool league is to attract customers, who will pay for food and/or drinks. The point is for it to be busy, so that they can make more money. the venue has to pay for the facility and the equipment, and the expense of operating it all. So of course they want to attract as many people as possible.

Many of those folks will want music. That topic has been done to death, but the average, casual player (the target of leagues) likes to have music playing while they are out for the evening.

If you are looking for a league situation that is quiet and small, that is going to be a tough assignment. Sometimes small bars may not be as busy or as loud. Fraternal organizations (Elks, Moose, Eagles clubs, VFW, etc) often host teams and aren't as likely to be as busy or as loud. Of course you will usually have to be a member of that organization to be able to play for any team they host, and that would require you paying their annual dues, so that may not be for you either.

And virtually all of them will be serving alcohol. And expecting their staff to be compensated (tipped).

Why do you want to play league pool, if this environment isn't something you like?

Mainly I need something to do so I am not bored and so I can meet new people.

I am 31 I thought you were similar in age to me and so I thought our views would meet up more.

Part of me is thinking I am being to hasty.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

Pretty loud and pretty busy most league nights. Not Saturday night busy, but I've played in a SRO environment many times. Don't notice it anymore.

I always laugh at players that complain about noise. Seriously, it's not golf. We're playing in a bar, and playing for what amounts to less money than what I'd spend on tabs over the course of the session. Just grit your teeth a tiny little bit and play, for Pete's sake.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with member "fastone371" when he states that playing through noise
is good for the concentration come tournament time. I have shot in bar traveling
VNEA traveling leagues for 34 years and we usually have four 5 person teams,
and have dart league the same night and about another 20 to 30 people at the
bar along with the first monday of the month for legion member meetings.
It's all good, for me, the more the better as I thrive on people watching, the
bigger the crowd, the more I want win.
I also practice with the tv playing shows like 20/20, 48 hours, cold case, cold justice
just to either block it out or listen to the show and still shoot.
As long as the juke box is at a level where you don't have to shout at someone standing
next to you, in my opinion, good practice for tournaments.