Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue & Case Gallery
Reload this Page Photo taking technique... A how to guide
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Great post
Old
  (#16)
shadowmoss
AzB Silver Member
shadowmoss has a reputation beyond reputeshadowmoss has a reputation beyond reputeshadowmoss has a reputation beyond reputeshadowmoss has a reputation beyond reputeshadowmoss has a reputation beyond reputeshadowmoss has a reputation beyond reputeshadowmoss has a reputation beyond reputeshadowmoss has a reputation beyond reputeshadowmoss has a reputation beyond reputeshadowmoss has a reputation beyond reputeshadowmoss has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via Skype™ to shadowmoss 
Great post - 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Now to try it out.

Thanks Eric

------------
CUES
(player) MC, a personal gift from Mike
BLACKBOAR
COCHRAN
SCRUGGS
BARNHART
DREXLER
MIKE WEBB
OWEN
DURBIN
DUNKEL
and many others

RIP Tim + Mike

Old
  (#17)
Big-Tattoo
**** Cancer
Big-Tattoo has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Tattoo has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Tattoo has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Tattoo has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Tattoo has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Tattoo has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Tattoo has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Tattoo has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Tattoo has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Tattoo has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Tattoo has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2013, 03:52 PM

many thanks, now have to try for my Haley

Name: Ralf- the Man in the Middle with his lovely Thai Girls

Old
  (#18)
CMD
AzB Silver Member
CMD has a reputation beyond reputeCMD has a reputation beyond reputeCMD has a reputation beyond reputeCMD has a reputation beyond reputeCMD has a reputation beyond reputeCMD has a reputation beyond reputeCMD has a reputation beyond reputeCMD has a reputation beyond reputeCMD has a reputation beyond reputeCMD has a reputation beyond reputeCMD has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-17-2013, 07:46 PM

One of the most informative threads I have read.

Thank you for the effort!

Playing cue: Dennis Searing
Break cue: Mike Webb

Old
  (#19)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
01-18-2013, 03:37 AM

This is a YouTube channel I really like to learn about photography. They present the lessons in a fun and cheeky format with professionally done videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalRevCom

Think protection doesn't matter? Here is some fun testing of camera bags.

Part 1 - Water and Drop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0wLqStdXNw

Part 2 - Drag and Burn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPUZ3BW-k4g

So once you have invested in all the new gear - make sure you get a good bag to protect it. No pro photographer carries their cameras and lenses in a bag that allows them to move around.

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Last edited by JB Cases; 01-18-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Old
  (#20)
Jive
Professional Racker
Jive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to Jive Send a message via Skype™ to Jive 
01-18-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
This is a YouTube channel I really like to learn about photography. They present the lessons in a fun and cheeky format with professionally done videos.

Part 1 - Water and Drop

Part 2 - Drag and Burn

So once you have invested in all the new gear - make sure you get a good bag to protect it. No pro photographer carries their cameras and lenses in a bag that allows them to move around.
Hehe which brings me to my next question, wanna make me a camera bag?

Regards,
Jive Ong

Old
  (#21)
Monstermash
Lock Ness Monster
Monstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond repute

01-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Part 1 - Water and Drop

Part 2 - Drag and Burn

The people in those videos are complete idiots. The last thing you ever want to do is start activating the shutter release without a lens attached to the camera body. Doing this will allow all kinds of dust and debris inside the body of the camera and onto the sensor. Not only will all that dust show up in your image, it will also end up in your viewfinder and make it difficult to compose an "important" shot later unless you send it in and have it cleaned. I have an idea John, why don't you call Nikon or Canon and ask them how much it is to send your DSLR in and have it disassembled and cleaned.

Additionally, trying to hold a lens that close to the camera body is going to guarantee that you bang the lens mount against the lens. There are electronics mounted in this area that can be damaged very easily. Not to mention the only people that would be uninformed enough to try something this stupid would be amateurs and would most likely have lenses that are not pro quality and have plastic mounts which would be damaged easily.

So yeah, run around with the lens off holding it against the camera body and let me know how that works out for you. When you attach the lens again to take a "real" image and the camera doesn't auto focus anymore, or read the information from the lens as it should, let me know how that works out for you.

I'm sorry that you can't see that I made this guide to try and help the others on this forum take better photos of their cues and enjoy their hobby a little more and maybe even get them interested in another one. While I appreciate your sense of humor, if you want to post amusing videos please do so in another thread. I'm sure you have plenty available of case making that will be sure to get a laugh.

Synergy:The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.

"Gambling? This is not gambling sir. Gambling is a wager on something you have no control over."

"You can't fix stupid!"

"As far as trading this cue for a Sugartree...let's not go down that road" - Tro

Player: Synergy

Case: Custom JB on order!

Breaker: J&J B/J modified by PFD Studios

Old
  (#22)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
01-18-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermash View Post
The people in those videos are complete idiots. The last thing you ever want to do is start activating the shutter release without a lens attached to the camera body. Doing this will allow all kinds of dust and debris inside the body of the camera and onto the sensor. Not only will all that dust show up in your image, it will also end up in your viewfinder and make it difficult to compose an "important" shot later unless you send it in and have it cleaned. I have an idea John, why don't you call Nikon or Canon and ask them how much it is to send your DSLR in and have it disassembled and cleaned.

Additionally, trying to hold a lens that close to the camera body is going to guarantee that you bang the lens mount against the lens. There are electronics mounted in this area that can be damaged very easily. Not to mention the only people that would be uninformed enough to try something this stupid would be amateurs and would most likely have lenses that are not pro quality and have plastic mounts which would be damaged easily.

So yeah, run around with the lens off holding it against the camera body and let me know how that works out for you. When you attach the lens again to take a "real" image and the camera doesn't auto focus anymore, or read the information from the lens as it should, let me know how that works out for you.

I'm sorry that you can't see that I made this guide to try and help the others on this forum take better photos of their cues and enjoy their hobby a little more and maybe even get them interested in another one. While I appreciate your sense of humor, if you want to post amusing videos please do so in another thread. I'm sure you have plenty available of case making that will be sure to get a laugh.
I am not sure but I think that the guys at DigitalRev do their vids on techniques that are already in use. This is a YouTube search on Freelensing So I guess all of these people are idiots as well. I personally don't know whether it's good practice or not but I doubt that the folks at DigitalRev are idiots. I was just adding some more content to your thread to enhance what you put up. Also I was linking to their channel and NOT to any particular video, the one on freelensing just happens to be the latest one.

They do in fact work with lots of pro photographers and do a lot of great videos on how to do great images without spending a lot of money. I have learned a lot about lighting through watching their videos.

I think it's great that you want to help folks to take better pictures. I know I am grateful for your guide. I don't personally like the pictures that you did which look like computer renderings but that's only my opinion. I think that with your advice anyone has a good basis to start with.

There is a vast wealth of information on the web teaching people how to take good pictures and I hope that you don't mind if this thread is used to store the links to those resources.

Regarding the camera bags didn't you think that it was interesting to see them testing them all out? I thought it was funny and informative. As a pro what type of camera bag do you use and recommend? Is is well padded?

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Last edited by JB Cases; 01-18-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Old
  (#23)
Monstermash
Lock Ness Monster
Monstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond repute

01-18-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I am not sure but I think that the guys at DigitalRev do their vids on techniques that are already in use. This is a YouTube search on Freelensing So I guess all of these people are idiots as well. I personally don't know whether it's good practice or not but I doubt that the folks at DigitalRev are idiots. I was just adding some more content to your thread to enhance what you put up.

They do in fact work with lots of pro photographers and do a lot of great videos on how to do great images without spending a lot of money. I have learned a lot about lighting through watching their videos.

I think it's great that you want to help folks to take better pictures. I know I am grateful for your guide. I don't personally like the pictures that you did which look like computer renderings but that's only my opinion. I think that with your advice anyone has a good basis to start with.

There is a vast wealth of information on the web teaching people how to take good pictures and I hope that you don't mind if this thread is used to store the links to those resources.

Regarding the camera bags didn't you think that it was interesting to see them testing them all out? I thought it was funny and informative. As a pro what type of camera bag do you use and recommend? Is is well padded?
While I thought the tests were amusing, there wasn't much control in the testing. Personally, when I'm considering the purchase of a new bag to protect my expensive equipment, I want clear, concise, controlled tests rather than slapstick, off the cuff tests that are more about seeing how many hits they can get on youtube.

For portability I have several Crumpler bags. It depends on where I'm going to shoot and what the subject matter is because different subjects require different equipment. For example, if I were to take some gear to the Super Billiards Expo, I would bring my Crumpler "6 Million Dollar Home" bag. It will carry either of my DSLR's with a lens attached, an additional lens, speedlight, and assorted filters and cleaning products. It's light weight and well padded and has a nice wide pad on the shoulder strap. If I'm just going "day shooting" and all I need is a body, all-in-one zoom lens, hood,, filters, and cleaning products I have a nice Think Tank holster style bag.

If I'm going to shoot in an environment where I'm not concerned about portability so much, I have several Pelican hard cases to choose from. Pelican cases are THE best protection in the market for electronics. They are water proof and crush proof. I also have several backpack style cases that I use when on the bike or hiking.

I have spent the past few years going through equipment finding what works best for me. I completey changed my lighting technique and went with speedlights (flashes) rather than strobe style or continuous larger style lighting for portability because I don't do a lot of studio work. I can take 4 speedlights with me in the space that one strobe would take up. I run them off camera wirelessly synced up using my camera body as a master controller and they all fit in my larger Crumpler "Brazillion Dollar Home" bag along with two camera bodies and a few lenses, filters, cleaning products, and a laptop.

Although I use the Crumpler and Think Tank brands, there are MANY great bags out there that offer as good of protection and versatility as Crumpler. A few that come to mind are Domke and Billingham. Lowepro and Tamrac are also pretty good for the money.

Synergy:The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.

"Gambling? This is not gambling sir. Gambling is a wager on something you have no control over."

"You can't fix stupid!"

"As far as trading this cue for a Sugartree...let's not go down that road" - Tro

Old
  (#24)
Jive
Professional Racker
Jive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond reputeJive has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to Jive Send a message via Skype™ to Jive 
01-18-2013, 07:24 PM

I'm loving this thread! I believe this could be the only and first pool cue related pro photography thread! Think I might just look for a good mentor soon hmm..

Regards,
Jive Ong

Old
  (#25)
Guerra Cues
I build one cue at a time

Guerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3200
  Send a message via Skype™ to Guerra Cues 
01-18-2013, 09:18 PM

I just got a Nikon D3100 and I need to try this awesome advice Rep for you!!!

Tony
Cel. 385-212-0979

Destroyer Break: Mine
Player: Mine

Follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/guerracues/

Old
  (#26)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2013, 05:50 PM

Just tried some pics off a tri-pod with manual arpeture settings and its a big difference. Did them flash / noflash, 3 different settings and totally blown away at the difference in pictures.

JV

www.classiccues.com
New site ONLINE.......

Updated 2/2/18

Burton Spain and Craig Petersen

Memorial Day Sale

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Old
  (#27)
Monstermash
Lock Ness Monster

01-27-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccues View Post
Just tried some pics off a tri-pod with manual arpeture settings and its a big difference. Did them flash / noflash, 3 different settings and totally blown away at the difference in pictures.

JV
Come on Joe.... Don't just tease us, post them up!!!

"You can't fix stupid!"

Old
  (#28)
Guerra Cues
I build one cue at a time

Guerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3200
  Send a message via Skype™ to Guerra Cues 
01-27-2013, 10:35 PM

Out of the different manual modes P, S, A or M on DSLR what mode do you think it will be the best to apply some of your suggestions?

Tony
Cel. 385-212-0979

Destroyer Break: Mine
Player: Mine

Follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/guerracues/

Old
  (#29)
pescadoman
Randy
pescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

01-27-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerra Cues View Post
Out of the different manual modes P, S, A or M on DSLR what mode do you think it will be the best to apply some of your suggestions?
aperture priority is best. since you are controlling the light and speed isn't a priority.

control the depth of field with the aperture and let the camera figure the rest. if you have strobes and wizards, you can pop them with wizards and use a light meter, complete manual is best there. the meter will show you the appropriate stops.. That is what i do in gyms...

Randy

Last edited by pescadoman; 01-27-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Old
  (#30)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermash View Post
Come on Joe.... Don't just tease us, post them up!!!
LOL..
OK here are three identical shots using totally different settings. Same camera position on all shots..

But damned if I remember which settings did which.. lol

JV
Attached Images

www.classiccues.com
New site ONLINE.......

Updated 2/2/18

Burton Spain and Craig Petersen

Memorial Day Sale

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: