TAR and JA

EasyMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appreciate the feedback, looks like I'm the minority in my thoughts. I've just been watching JA for a long time and never seen him act like that in any competitive venue. I was just curious what others thought, really appreciate Justin's perspective and he did beat Shane! I will continue to support TAR regardless and hope to see more great match ups in the future. I don't post a lot but pls keep it in perspective we are just sharing opinions and some take these forums way too seriously.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Appreciate the feedback, looks like I'm the minority in my thoughts. I've just been watching JA for a long time and never seen him act like that in any competitive venue. I was just curious what others thought, really appreciate Justin's perspective and he did beat Shane! I will continue to support TAR regardless and hope to see more great match ups in the future. I don't post a lot but pls keep it in perspective we are just sharing opinions and some take these forums way too seriously.

I was gonna ask you if Earl put you up to this :thumbup:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I think you missed what actually was happening in the match to a huge degree.

Archer was acting fairly relaxed and calm and joking around because it was helping him ease his nerves and get himself into the right frame of mind where he could actually win.

On day 1 when he went down by alot he went into a fairly self depricating "joking" sort of mood but while he was doing that he went on a tear and ran multiple racks and got up 10-8 on Busty. It was on the "10 ball, just joking" moment when Busty replied with a non-joking fairly pissed off "you are always joking" comment that Busty managed to snap Archer out of his relaxed joking style of play and thus also snapped him out of his zoned in level of play.

It was obvious that Archer instantly after that comment tightened right up and ceased playing well, he started getting self concious, it was a beautiful shark by Busty and it crushed Archer for the entire rest of the weekend for the most part because he was nervous to simply be himself and play the game he needed to play to stay loose and un-pressured up. Archer needed that "light and fun" mood in the match to have a chance, Bustamante saw that and saw how Archer was playing like that, so he stopped it with a pretty blunt comment and got Archer out of his comfort zone and then dismantled him.

Instantly after that "you are always joking" comment at 10-8 Busty dominated him. It was only after Archer was down 18-11 or so when he finally decided he was toast and started joking around again that Archer actually started shooting well again but it was too late to come back as he had let Busty win to many games and not shot his own game in his own comfort zone for too long.

Archers so called "cavalier" attitude is what gave him a hope, it was the times when he had that attitude that he played well and had a chance. But he wussed out and went into "I am so sorry!" mode and let Busty control the feeling of the match. He played into the type of match that Bustamante wanted and it cost Archer any chance of winning.

For a hall of fame player like Archer he should know better then to let someone control the feel of the match like that and let them get him out of his own comfort zone like that.

Last edited:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
...Busty managed to snap Archer out of his relaxed joking style of play and thus also snapped him out of his zoned in level of play.

It was obvious that Archer instantly after that comment tightened right up and ceased playing well, he started getting self concious, it was a beautiful shark by Busty and it crushed Archer...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I don't think it was a shark though, I think Busty was just upset he wasn't playing his best. The match definitely changed afterward and that's too bad.

It's the same reason I detest when people tell Mark to stop talking because I'm always thinking this is what's going to happen: you go too far the other way. Ask someone to turn down the jukebox in a bar and if they do it it's never turned down from 11 to 8 it's always 11 to 1.

Johnny didn't do anything wrong, neither did Busty. The last two weeks of pool have been amazing. The podcast was great too, relevant discussions of grip pressure and a demonstration of it. Please have both Johnny and Busty back again.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I don't think it was a shark though, I think Busty was just upset he wasn't playing his best. The match definitely changed afterward and that's too bad.

It's the same reason I detest when people tell Mark to stop talking because I'm always thinking this is what's going to happen: you go too far the other way. Ask someone to turn down the jukebox in a bar and if they do it it's never turned down from 11 to 8 it's always 11 to 1.

Johnny didn't do anything wrong, neither did Busty. The last two weeks of pool have been amazing. The podcast was great too, relevant discussions of grip pressure and a demonstration of it. Please have both Johnny and Busty back again.

I'm sure a lot of the PPV crowd saw and heard that...as I did. Most like me couldn't believe someone playing 30+ years and a champion would let those few words put them on tilt. I believe what Busty ment was the constant talking, laughing, and walikg around was sharking him...or trying to. Johnnyt

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
JA acted like a complete gentlemen and was still entertaining. The best part for me was when he was teasing Busty about his English. Early on during the first night.

Busty - "Two balls, Corner pocket" (meaning of coarse two ball, corner pocket).
JA- "OK I know which pocket...now which two balls". He then smiles and apologizes for talking during Busty's turn.

Being the product of immigrants I laughed so hard I had to clean the coffee off my laptop.

Nick

Last edited:

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing I saw was a guy act like a complete gentlemen and fight his heart out every time he came to the table. Several times after matches I have had to come here and apologize for whatever antics occurred because someone didnt grasp the basic concept of not acting like a fool. I have nothing at all to say about any of the guys over the last three weeks except "Thank you" for restoring my hope that there are real professionals in this game.

The past two weeks have been like a breath of fresh air for me. Shane, Johnny and Francisco are true class acts and professionals. Over the course of a 10-15 hour match under the pressure these guys feel everyone is going to say or do something that someone won't like. If a person is really looking for something not to like they will find it without fail.

So in a final answer to your question do I think Johnny acted in any sort of unprofessional way? Hell no. Johnny was professional, courteous, funny and did all I ask out of anyone who plays for us...he played hard and was respectful to the fans and his opponent. What more can you ask of a person?

I am very happy to have worked with Johnny and I look to do so again in the future whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I am in 100% agreement with Justin here. Total pros with great attitudes for 2 weekends in a row. We were treated to some awesome pool and I will look forward to whatever treasure Justin has in store next. The only thing I saw from Archer in this match was he didn't quite have his A game against Francisco. These things happen. Bustamante played amazing and we got to see Archer play absolutely killer on SVB. Thank you TAR for another killer show"-).

EasyMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I change my mind, I think u guys nailed it he needed the extra stuff to calm down and win. I have watched him play many times and never seen that kind of attitude.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I did not read all of the replies but here is my take on Johnny and how he handled himself in both matches..

Like a complete gentleman that was enjoying the game of pool whether he wins or loses. I am certain that he still gave 100%, he just took the rolls whether good or bad in stride. He gave both opponents total respect, both while in play and during the interviews on TAR podcasts.

I gained a whole new respect for Johnny, he showed more class than I could have hoped for.

Busty also showed a great deal of class in the last TAR podcast in my opinion. I think what we saw from Johnny and Busty were two experienced veterans that have the ability to play at the highest level. Johnny brought this out more against Shane but he still had nothing to be ashamed about during the Busty match.

Busty played jam up, he deserved to win. Nothing more, nothing less in my opinion.

The OP's criticism of Johnny to me is unwarranted but he's entitled to his/her opinion. I could not agree any less with him.. Johnny is as good as it gets as far as integrity and character..

Great job Johnny! You are among the best and finest the sport has to offer. God bless!!

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
I watched both TAR 26 & 27, and agree 100% that SVB, Jango, and JA all behaved like true professionals tword each other. Where I think we saw less professional behavior was after missing a shot or a jump, etc. I, for one, could do without the cursing, cue slamming, and powting when a player makes a mistake. I know they are only human, I know they are competing, etc, but I'm just saying that as a paying customer, I could do without that stuff. One thing that I like about some of the earlier SVB vs Alex videos is that SVB seems to have ice running through his veins. Didn't matter if he missed a shot, didn't matter if Alex missed and Shane came to the table accidentally locked up tighter than a Mexican prison, he just accepted his fate and delt with it.

The matches were great, the production was great, and once again Ken Shuman did an outstanding job!!! Thanks TAR. Also thanks for only putting up the score overlay while racking, so that it doesn't burn into my plasma TV... :smile: Also thanks for the replay loop. Without it I probably wouldn't buy as many matches as I do.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Johnny has been a total class act since he came on tour at age 18! He is a gentleman and not one to complain about anything without a very good reason. He handles defeat like a man and savors his victories equally well, never being disrespectful to his opponents.

I am glad to have been able to witness him play for all these years and value his friendship very much. He is one of my closest friends among the pros, as is Francisco. Johnny and Francisco have a long history, going back to some spirited money matches in the early 90's. In one famous match, Johnny broke and ran THIRTEEN racks to win the set 13-0! HELLO!!!! Francisco simply flipped the coin to start a new set :cool:. And he returned the favor with a solid victory in set two, something like 13-6.

I was there for parts of JA's first match with Shane and he played some SUPER pool to win the match. The underlying prize was the right to say that you are America's number one! Johnny's time on top is not over yet, as he clearly showed that weekend. Same can be said for Django who some had said may be over the hill. IMO he is still in his prime!

I also watched part of Johnny's match with Francisco the first day and thought they both played some great pool. These are only two of the best pool players on the planet, and among the few able to handle the tough conditions in the TAR studio. That Diamond table would make most of us mere mortals whimper in pain if we had to play a match on it. That's my two cents on this thread. :thumbup:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... In one famous match, Johnny broke and ran THIRTEEN racks to win the set 13-0! HELLO!!!! Francisco simply flipped the coin to start a new set :cool:. And he returned the favor with a solid victory in set two, something like 13-6. ...

Jay, that match was discussed in a couple of the podcasts. Johnny said the match went three sets, with Francisco winning the first and last sets. In the third set, Johnny broke and ran the first two games, so he actually broke and ran 15 games in a row -- the best of his career!

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
Johnny is a class act and a character, i spent 2 weeks with him and the other players filming bonus ball, he wanted to win a took it very seriously. Johnny reads the forum, and in Johnny's words he would say "chillax" his new fav word.

Johnny was great meeting you and see you soon pal. pairpull.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, that match was discussed in a couple of the podcasts. Johnny said the match went three sets, with Francisco winning the first and last sets. In the third set, Johnny broke and ran the first two games, so he actually broke and ran 15 games in a row -- the best of his career!

I have been in that room and saw the table Johnny ran the 13 racks on. I went there with Richie Rich and Jack Cooney was matched up with a guy on the same table. Johnny signed the table. I am pretty sure it was in Toledo, OH. I could be wrong on that but I remember Richie and I went across the street to play poker in a private game that night. I was going to bet with the owner and he said I could pick either player for a sweat bet. When I picked Cooney he said no bet, I picked the wrong guy, LOL