Designing new light, projector mount, and camera for table

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_4697.jpg
The "new to me" Mac Pro is under this desk, and the HDMI cable dangling on the right side of the cue rack will fit in the channel there, and go into the Mac. That will happen later. Right now, I'm just using the camera card to record, and climbing up on the pool table to start and stop the recording.

IMG_4698.jpg
Lots of holes to patch on the ceiling from the old light.

IMG_4710.jpg
Holes on the wall too where the old camera was. This computer will probably go away, once the Mac Pro under the desk is all set up.

IMG_4705.jpg
Off topic, I put bondo on the door edge to smooth it. The original edge was particleboard.

IMG_4831.jpg
Here is the fished desk, with the bonded edge now painted white. The gf loved it. Oh, you can see the Mac Pro peeking out from under the desk.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_4853.jpg
Here I went back and redid all the wire ties to be the off white, translucent ones, instead of those neon colored ones I had before. I also got the shortest wires I could find on amazon so there would be less wires in the coils. Yes, I'm anal;)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to the camera on the wall (not the ceiling).

IMG_4712.jpg
Marking bracket for drilling.

IMG_4713.jpg
Pilot holes.

IMG_4714.jpg
Clearance holes for screws.

IMG_4715.jpg
Rounding corners.

IMG_4724.jpg
Painting. This is actually my wall color. The maintenance people at my apartment gave me touch up paint.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_4726.jpg
Here is the old mount from the old camera on the right, and the new one on the left.

IMG_4725.jpg
Here I'm using a laser level to project the centerline of the table onto the blue tape on the wall. From there I used a traditional bubble level to go upwards.

IMG_4860.jpg
Angle channel mounted on the wall, with the bracket. You can see it can go up and down wherever I want.

IMG_4888.jpg
Closeup of camera. A 24mm prime lens works great from this distance. Once I figure out the software situation on the camera, I will run power and HDMI to this camera also. Right now, this one is running on the battery and recording to its camera card. That will be later.

IMG_4889.jpg
Here is a wider shot so you can see the whole thing. I don't know how often I'll end up using this location, as I really like the overhead shot. (I have 2 cameras, one for each location). For now, I'm keeping them both. Oh, I can also put my original Panasonic camcorder on top of this canon, and put it higher up close to the ceiling. That way I would have 3 cameras. Again, probably overkill. But, that camera is sitting doing nothing right now.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UGMz-alGzw&feature=youtu.be

Here is the final output. 1 rack, recorded with both cameras simultaneously. 5 min total length. The first 2.5 min is the overhead camera, the second 2.5 min is the wall mounted camera.

The overhead camera the lines are all straight, but the balls get non-round as you get further from center. You can see I have lines drawn on the cloth with marker, and the lines closest to the top and bottom of the screen are slightly further apart than the lines in the center of the screen. Still, I think it is a pretty good representation of the table, and the angles of the shots look about right. Its also the best I've personally seen with an overhead camera that was not one of the big boys.

The wall mount camera for some reason the picture quality looks better. I think this might be a youtube thing, as they both look great from a quality standpoint on the video saved to my computer before uploading to youtube. This view, the balls are all round. Of course, its harder to see the angles of the shots and if balls clear each other. On the other hand, this view is more "human", as you can see more of the shooter, and I think the view itself is more interesting due to that.

I definitely like them both. What is your favorite?

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
You sir are one incredibly talented individual. I hope you enjoy your setup as much as I've enjoyed this thread. Everything looks amazing and the functionality is phenomenal!