Gold crown vs valley pockets?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is there any difference in pocket sizes on a gold crown vs a valley table? I know the size is different 9 foot vs 7 foot. But I am mainly interested in the pocket differences or sameness.

Thanks

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If both tables are un-modified, the valley pocket is actually tighter than the GC pocket. This is at the mouth of the pocket. However, the shelf on the valley is way shorter. And, the angle of the jaws on the valley opens up in an obtuse angle, whereas the GC closes in on an acute angle. These differences end up making the Valley pocket significantly easier to pocket balls on than a GC pocket. Probably by at least a factor of 2.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
whats interesting is 2 new threads started in mere minutes of each by someone thats suspected to have a multiple screen name disorder

while the other is offline, this one is online

cooinkydink? or notness?
discuss

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent post

If both tables are un-modified, the valley pocket is actually tighter than the GC pocket. This is at the mouth of the pocket. However, the shelf on the valley is way shorter. And, the angle of the jaws on the valley opens up in an obtuse angle, whereas the GC closes in on an acute angle. These differences end up making the Valley pocket significantly easier to pocket balls on than a GC pocket. Probably by at least a factor of 2.

Accurate and informative.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Awesome so not only is there a size difference the pockets are built in a way to make it easier to pocket balls on valley tables. Thanks for the info.

LOL add another con to the con list.

So if I understand correctly learning on a valley table is doing a dis-service and making it harder when you move to a 9 foot table.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...the angle of the jaws on the valley opens up in an obtuse angle, whereas the GC closes in on an acute angle.
Does “opens up” mean the throat of the pocket (behind the mouth) is wider than one that “closes in” - or vice verse?

With the same mouth size, the one with the narrower throat (facings less parallel) is more difficult.

pj
chgo

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
So if I understand correctly learning on a valley table is doing a dis-service and making it harder when you move to a 9 foot table.

giphy.gif

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome so not only is there a size difference the pockets are built in a way to make it easier to pocket balls on valley tables. Thanks for the info.

LOL add another con to the con list.

On a GC if the OB rubs the rail on the way into the jaws, even it it hits the jaws, it will most likely be spit out. That is a function of the angles acting like a "funnel" but it spits the ball out. (edit to add: On a Diamond the shelf is even deeper than a GC, so this effect is even more severe). On a Valley, if you hit the rail on the way to the pocket, even at a high speed, most likely the ball will still fall.

Any table is better than none. You can learn the game just fine on an easy table.

For example, making a stop shot is identical on both (assuming the balls and cloth are high quality).

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does “opens up” mean the throat of the pocket (behind the mouth) is wider than one that “closes in” - or vice verse?

With the same mouth size, the one with the narrower throat (facings less parallel) is more difficult.

pj
chgo

Yes correct. The more angled in they are from parallel, the more difficult.

Acute and obtuse was probably the wrong term for me to use, since they are relative to 90 degrees. I forget the geometric term that would be most applicable in the case, if there is one? But in non-geometry class terms, "closes in" and "opens up" is probably perfect and easy to understand.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not all GC pockets are the same, I bought my GC used and did not know what kind of pockets I am getting, turned out that the pocket measured to be 4.125 inch which is tight in accordance to GC pockets, but not only this, my rails are really used to where the points of the jaws of the pockets are a little circular, imagine snooker tables, do you see how curved the jaws of the pockets are? thats how my GC is, which makes it even more difficult.

If you hit a ball and it just touches the rail it will not go in, it acts just like snooker table, you know ho hard to pocket shots that are near the rail? thats how my GC is.

Even though in pool the balls which are near GC if you play them even on the rail sometimes the pocket accepted them, but because of the curve I think the pocket doesn't accept unless you pocket shots cleanly.