Pleasures Of Small Motions

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I havent seen or heard this book being talked about on here for a long, long time now. It used to be that posters on here would talk about what a great book it was for a pool player and how it could really help a person become a better player. I bought the book and agreed with others on here that it was a completely useless book and a waste of time for a pool player.

Just wondering if anyone remembers this book, or still reads it, or still recommends it to others?

r/DCP

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have a copy, enjoyed it and it has some insights....
Not everyone is “turned the same” so your impressions may be different from mine..
Quite a bit of good stuff there.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have it still and I have read it a few times- I would not say completely useless, but there are other "mental conditioning" books not directly pool related that might be more beneficial. I think one of the best ideas to come out of the book is the idea of relaxing and accepting current performance without too much self judgement - usually would not apply to very high level players though. This mindset could help mid level folks from giving up on the game and themselves. Mid level players often think they are better players than their most consistent performance exhibits- so getting rid of pre- conceived notions of one's abilities may help keep one in reality and be more accepting of true current status with motivation to improve.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you start a thread to say you don't like a book that hasn't been mentioned here in a long time... you might be quarantine posting.

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I havent seen or heard this book being talked about on here for a long, long time now. It used to be that posters on here would talk about what a great book it was for a pool player and how it could really help a person become a better player. I bought the book and agreed with others on here that it was a completely useless book and a waste of time for a pool player.

Just wondering if anyone remembers this book, or still reads it, or still recommends it to others?

r/DCP
Are you trying to validate your dislike or what?? You didn't like it but you need to check to see if others agree?? Kinda like trying to persuade someone to dislike a food or beverage that one tries.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
second edition

I have the second edition of the book. I find the first half of the book or first section, quite good. Then when they decided the book needed to be bigger they added on stuff I am not nearly as impressed with.

My issue with the book is the focus seems to be on not losing instead of on winning. There is a difference between the two. For the right person at the right time it could be a great book. I read it after many other mental game books and in that position it is of dubious value. That second half or two thirds of the book, I don't remember exactly, left a sour aftertaste and obscures the value of the first part.

Not a bad book, especially for someone without a shelf full of mental books or has went through a bunch.

I rate the first section "A" working from memory and the second section "C" being kind hearted. Still a lot of value for the price.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the second edition of the book. I find the first half of the book or first section, quite good. Then when they decided the book needed to be bigger they added on stuff I am not nearly as impressed with.

My issue with the book is the focus seems to be on not losing instead of on winning. There is a difference between the two. For the right person at the right time it could be a great book. I read it after many other mental game books and in that position it is of dubious value. That second half or two thirds of the book, I don't remember exactly, left a sour aftertaste and obscures the value of the first part.

Not a bad book, especially for someone without a shelf full of mental books or has went through a bunch.

I rate the first section "A" working from memory and the second section "C" being kind hearted. Still a lot of value for the price.

Hu
Agree 100%.

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

I felt it was worth the read and learned quite a bit from it.
What other books would help with the mental aspect of pool?
Thanks,
Tim

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
hard to say

Thanks,
Tim

"Shooting from Within" on shooting a pistol by J Michael Plaxco did a lot for me. Unfortunately it is out of print last I knew and demands ridiculous prices. At thirty bucks or less it is worth the read. At $150 I don't recommend it.

The first good book you read gives you most of the goodies then other books that might have been great first books only fill in a few gaps. Had they been read first they would be the great book for you and the other books that were great for other people only fill in a few gaps.

The book has to reach a person when they are ready for it. Too soon or too late and the value is greatly diminished.

I simply don't know what to steer you towards. Sorry!

Hu

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Cloth, pockets, lessons, stick, aesthetics of sticks, break cue, cue ball, table size, run out problems, not making balls on the break.

You have played around with/messed with every thing listed above and I (probably as well as many others) have no clue what you are trying to do.

How can someone take as many lessons as you have, bought as many sticks as you have, read as many books as you have, and still find things to complain about or tell people that something doesn't work.

I honestly want to know.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks,
Tim

"The Inner Game of Tennis" crosses over to billiards quite well. It's a classic.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I found the book an easy read, not the best ever but certainly not the worst.
It’s been a while.
Will Prout

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good book

I got a lot out of it, the section on rhythm is something I found extremely helpful.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
to settle for less

If you mean his advice to focus on playing well rather than on winning, that was my favorite message from the book. Different strokes...

pj
chgo

The second section seems to be telling you to settle for what you are, not strive for what you can be. You will never be the best if you accept second rate.

I never did much traveling but nobody had to like what I could give them if they came to me. Had I accepted less was good enough I would never have reached that level. The Pleasure of Small Motions seems to be telling people to be content with less. I have ran with the big dogs in a handful of activities over the years. I didn't do that by settling.

One of the things I do when I go to an event is read the field. Twenty or thirty percent will acknowledge they can't beat several competitors before the event begins. These people are generally write-offs as a group although one occasionally catches fire. When they say there is no chance of beating a few big guns at the event, there is almost no chance they can beat the ones sincerely trying to beat those same big guns. I also check what else people are complaining about. In pool, lights, cloth, whatever conditions they are finding to excuse a loss.

Often out of a 128 person field I am left with maybe 20-30 to beat, a much more manageable number! Big fields intimidated me when I first started competing, now I realize they are mostly chaff. Separate the real competitors and there aren't that many. Consider that in a pool tournament some have to take each other out so you will never see all of the major threats to you and things become quite manageable.

Those that have accepted the second half of Pleasure are in with the chaff. Your odds of winning might be in single digits at best but they are approaching zero if you aren't trying to win.

A final tip to those trying to read and learn: Once you have read the field, stay away from those not trying to win! Their attitude is contagious and will take your edge if you hang around listening to them. Associate with winners if you can, if not, associate with those sincerely trying to win. If you can't do either, find a quiet spot to be within yourself, something you need to spend some time doing anyway. I set a record that some of the best in the world had chased at one time or another over the last fifteen years. I did it not because I was a better competitor but because I pulled my mental game together at the right time. Pleasure would have told me to settle for less because I was well past my best years before picking up a pistol.

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a good book that will help you understand a lot of "under the hood" stuff as to what makes us tick as pool players.

Lou Figueroa

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
My issue with the book is the focus seems to be on not losing instead of on winning.
If you mean his advice to focus on playing well rather than on winning, that was my favorite message from the book. Different strokes...
The second section seems to be telling you to settle for what you are, not strive for what you can be. You will never be the best if you accept second rate.
I forget which part of the book it's in, but the takeaway message for me was more like "Whether you're winning or losing, or what your chances of winning/losing are, are distractions from the important thing: how well you're playing. Focus on that and you'll do better and have more fun doing it." That's proven to be true for me.

I suppose we can all get different messages from a book about the "mental game".

pj
chgo

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I still recommend it. Great book for the mental acuity needed for the game. Also recommend ZenPool from Max Eberle.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
same message, different viewpoints about that message

I forget which part of the book it's in, but the takeaway message for me was more like "Whether you're winning or losing, or what your chances of winning/losing are, are distractions from the important thing: how well you're playing. Focus on that and you'll do better and have more fun doing it." That's proven to be true for me.

I suppose we can all get different messages from a book about the "mental game".

pj
chgo

We seem to have gotten the same thing from Pleasure, it is about doing well, not winning. Our area of disagreement is whether just doing well is enough.

Hu