Why does an aiming system even exist??

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the sole purpose of an aiming system/method. To establish a way to consistently, with a defined modus operandi, hit those million balls in the most accurate way available to the student/player.

What you are describing is called a "Pre Shot Routine," or "PSR," not an aiming system. A consistent PSR is intended to eliminate misses caused by inconsistent address to the ball. Hitting a million balls trains your subconscious and/or muscle memory to be able to pocket the balls while the PSR sort of clears the path so that you can do so consistently.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
They're analytical tools. An aiming system will give you the target to hit or aim at depending on the system. With that bit of information you can analyze the reason you miss the shot. If you know where to aim you can determine what part of the shooting process is causing the miss. Since experimenting with pivoting systems which require a straight stoke thru the center of the cue ball, most of the 'wonk' in my stroke is gone.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Certainly not to get wealthy selling snake oil or voodoo. Not enough money flowing around in these days of high taxes to support that idea. So there must be another reason and concept behind the existence of aiming systems/methods.
For decades I saw pro players miss when there was no answer other than they had to be aiming wrong. They had good strokes, good stance and great nerves yet they missed when they shouldn't have missed. WHY?, I asked myself.
But what was worse than missing is that they would then try to figure out what was wrong with their stroke and other fundamentals and start tinkering with something that wasn't haywire in the first place.
Most were adjusting things that didn't need adjusting.
That "hit a million balls" stuff is for the birds. What if a player is hitting those million balls in the WRONG PLACE AND THE WRONG WAY. He/she could go forever (like I did) without getting much better.
I say learn to aim correctly and consistently first, with the correct corresponding alignment...THEN "hit the million balls".
That is the sole purpose of an aiming system/method. To establish a way to consistently, with a defined modus operandi, hit those million balls in the most accurate way available to the student/player.
Then and only then will the player's real innate talents come to the forefront, in my opinion.
:thumbup2:
You're actually claiming you aim better than professional players ?
Most would give you the 7-out .
Several would give you the orange crush.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Answer to question: to have a starting point or a reference for knowing how to aim.

randyg