Aiming Systems Are Tools, Not Magic

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aiming systems are great, but regardless of some of the ridiculous claims I've read here, systems aren't magic.
One poster even said that once you start using this certain aiming system your stroke magically improves. What really happens (with any aiming method) is you miss a lot of balls until you develop a good enough stroke to strike the cb where you intend, consistently sending it to where it needs to be in order to pocket the ob. Regardless of the method you use for aiming, an inconsistent or poor stroke will give you poor results.

If you are using ghostball, CTE, fractions, split the difference, or whatever....you will still miss balls on occassion, regardless of how great you believe your system of choice to be. It's funny how some here continually post "proof" that one system works better than another, when if we study the greatest players of today, and of long ago, we find a mix of aiming methods. And not one of these players would say they never miss a ball. Well, Mosconi did say once that he never missed a ball that he intended to make, but that says more about shot selection than anything else.

Bottom line, aiming systems aren't magic. When someone posts "proof" of an aiming system, like a young pro playing great supposedly because they use one system or another, don't fool yourself into believing they're playing great due to any system. So much table time goes into perfecting a pro's game that the actual process of aiming becomes automatic, not systematic.
And regardless of what method we use for aiming, no player is immune to missing shots, not even pros. So we use what feels good and what works for us, and in time we become very proficient at it, if we do it enough. It's a seasoning of skill that occurs, not magic.

Sometimes when reading posts here, I laugh out loud at some of the childish things people write. It's like having a front-row seat at a grade school name-calling competition, or being subjected to a my-dad-is-better-than-your-dad argument. When it comes to perfecting hand-eye coordination skills, like with about any sport in the world, it's the individual player that makes the difference, not the specific tools they use. A champion can make any tool work for them.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Aiming systems are great, but regardless of some of the ridiculous claims I've read here, systems aren't magic.
One poster even said that once you start using this certain aiming system your stroke magically improves. What really happens (with any aiming method) is you miss a lot of balls until you develop a good enough stroke to strike the cb where you intend, consistently sending it to where it needs to be in order to pocket the ob. Regardless of the method you use for aiming, an inconsistent or poor stroke will give you poor results.

If you are using ghostball, CTE, fractions, split the difference, or whatever....you will still miss balls on occassion, regardless of how great you believe your system of choice to be. It's funny how some here continually post "proof" that one system works better than another, when if we study the greatest players of today, and of long ago, we find a mix of aiming methods. And not one of these players would say they never miss a ball. Well, Mosconi did say once that he never missed a ball that he intended to make, but that says more about shot selection than anything else.

Bottom line, aiming systems aren't magic. When someone posts "proof" of an aiming system, like a young pro playing great supposedly because they use one system or another, don't fool yourself into believing they're playing great due to any system. So much table time goes into perfecting a pro's game that the actual process of aiming becomes automatic, not systematic.
And regardless of what method we use for aiming, no player is immune to missing shots, not even pros. So we use what feels good and what works for us, and in time we become very proficient at it, if we do it enough. It's a seasoning of skill that occurs, not magic.

Sometimes when reading posts here, I laugh out loud at some of the childish things people write. It's like having a front-row seat at a grade school name-calling competition, or being subjected to a my-dad-is-better-than-your-dad argument. When it comes to perfecting hand-eye coordination skills, like with about any sport in the world, it's the individual player that makes the difference, not the specific tools they use. A champion can make any tool work for them.

Respectfully, sincerely, I'd like to be frank. It really depends on where the student is at. I've shown aim systems to players and had their pocketing percentage increase 50% or more immediately, I mean right there at the table as I watch them go. Then again, the same thing can happen with a stroke or stance lesson.

But imagine someone making even a simple change from ghost ball to contact point or vice versa and seeing the lights go on in a big way for them. Sometimes, by the way, the change has to do with the aim system altering their alignment/stance. Sometimes I have them move their bridge hand placement along with their line of sight...

Now, some of what happens at this forum--what sounds like hyperbole--has to do with students being excited and loyal, thankful for aim systems that really helped them--and an instructor(s) who gave them lots of time and love and etc.

I posted to a thread yesterday where someone was more than grateful to Bert Kinister's videos for some simple stance and other changes that upped their pocketing percentage.

Why shouldn't someone who has aimed by instinct for years then vastly improved using Poolology praise Poolology and your work?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Systems are magic? No systems aren't magic. But aiming can be systematic. And you can get so good at using a system that it feels automatic but in reality you are still using the system.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Aiming is one of the easiest parts of the game.
After all, it is easily ( relatively ) repeatable .
The stroke ( location and speed/manner ) is the one that needs to be mastered.
Aiming system is not a solution to a bad stroke.

When I see pros play, I don't see magic aiming systems .
I see how good their stroke and setup are.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Respectfully, sincerely, I'd like to be frank. It really depends on where the student is at. I've shown aim systems to players and had their pocketing percentage increase 50% or more immediately, I mean right there at the table as I watch them go. Then again, the same thing can happen with a stroke or stance lesson.

But imagine someone making even a simple change from ghost ball to contact point or vice versa and seeing the lights go on in a big way for them. Sometimes, by the way, the change has to do with the aim system altering their alignment/stance. Sometimes I have them move their bridge hand placement along with their line of sight...

Now, some of what happens at this forum--what sounds like hyperbole--has to do with students being excited and loyal, thankful for aim systems that really helped them--and an instructor(s) who gave them lots of time and love and etc.

I posted to a thread yesterday where someone was more than grateful to Bert Kinister's videos for some simple stance and other changes that upped their pocketing percentage.

Why shouldn't someone who has aimed by instinct for years then vastly improved using Poolology praise Poolology and your work?

I don't disagree with any of this. You usually have sound/good advice. I've gotten plenty of thank you emails from players who have dramatically improved their game after a week or two with Poolology. And that can happen with any aiming system or method that clicks with a player. So I am not downing aiming systems in the slightest. I am simply saying that in order to become a great player, one needs to be commitment to improving, to working on their game, using whatever tools they find most beneficial. The magic isn't in the tools, it's in the individual's desire to work at being the best they can be.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Aiming is one of the easiest parts of the game.
After all, it is easily ( relatively ) repeatable .
The stroke ( location and speed/manner ) is the one that needs to be mastered.
Aiming system is not a solution to a bad stroke.

When I see pros play, I don't see magic aiming systems .
I see how good their stroke and setup are.

Good post. After using any aiming method for a long enough time, most players can become very good at knowing where the cb needs to be in order to pocket an ob. I don't mean playing pool a couple of hours one or two nights per week while having a few beers -- that's not enough for the average player to get any better than average. Mainly because their stroke is too inconsistent to learn whether or not their aiming is accurate. But playing or practicing a few minutes every day with a serious determination to improve, working on a solid stance, psr, stroke, etc...well that's when aiming becomes easy. But with the rest of the game's intricacies in play, missed shots are still part of the game, even at the highest levels, regardless of any aiming systems.