Fear that John Schmidt might need...

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A ball marker like the ones they use for Snooker.

I think he needs one for when he is cleaning balls so that h Iuri s runs have even less controversy.

If he had run over 526 balls I'm sure it would go against him in the record books regardless true accomplishment it would/will be.

I mean no disrespect but fear it would question the "authenticity" of the run.

Did Willie stop and clean the cue ball and balls during his run

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be clear, I wasn't saying cleaning the balls was wrong or bad. I was only saying that since the topic of beating The Godfather Of Straight Pool record is "So Controversial" (for some), best give the least amount of weight to their argument.

John used chalk to make where the balls were and put t h emotions b back in the same place which is good enough to me. But I could see my friend saying that it wasn't in the same "exact" place. So the run wasn't valid (actually based on a discussion we had).
Apparently he at least took more care with marking and cleaning the cue ball than he did with making sure he was using a round cue ball to start with.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be the first to give John his due if he runs 527, he deserves it. But, when you read about the cloth being switched to super fast, the balls being super polished, the slates being heated, the table pockets being super generous ( can even be seen on his videos by the shots that are being accepted by those pockets), it just makes you wonder just what is going on here with all of this fanfare - I would rather see the pool world focus on more competitive 14.1 tournaments than be concerned with the "record".

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget that Mosconi did not know the earth was flat. Now we do and with that knowledge Schmidt can play on a much flatter table ... so nothing counts what he does.

They're going to take me away haha ....

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take the video any day... There's literally no telling what may have happened during Mosconi's run that people had given no thought to at the time.

It was just another routine exhibition for the first hundred or two balls, and then, I imagine, it progressed in seriousness in stages.
I have no issues with John's run. I was only saying that anything that people can see as reasonable doubt to it is a bad thing. I'm not disputing his great work either way. Seems like my post isn't coming off in the spirit it is meant.

John is doing an amazing job of trying to break the record. I only fear that anything that might be considered"controversial" would negate to record he might set by any sayers (not me).

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO using a piece of chalk is just fine. Line up a corner of the chalk with the center of the ball and some external point. Extremely accurate.

No personal argument from me. My few is the any sayers.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no issues with John's run. I was only saying that anything that people can see as reasonable doubt to it is a bad thing. I'm not disputing his great work either way. Seems like my post isn't coming off in the spirit it is meant.

John is doing an amazing job of trying to break the record. I only fear that anything that might be considered"controversial" would negate to record he might set by any sayers (not me).
My hunch is the next time John gives it a try again, and I hope he does soon, he'll be using a new measle or red circle cue ball, and he'll have a more official looking ball marker than a piece of chalk. We'd love to host his attempt at our poolroom here in NC - he can stay with us next door at our house and we'll feed him as long as he wants to keep trying for the record. I'll even rack balls for him and mark/clean the cue ball for him when requested. However, the most forgiving tables we have here have 4-3/4" corners and 5" sides.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be the first to give John his due if he runs 527, he deserves it. But, when you read about the cloth being switched to super fast, the balls being super polished, the slates being heated, the table pockets being super generous ( can even be seen on his videos by the shots that are being accepted by those pockets), it just makes you wonder just what is going on here with all of this fanfare - I would rather see the pool world focus on more competitive 14.1 tournaments than be concerned with the "record".

But but but but but but but...

You just don't want your name to be 'mikerunnerup'.

I feel you. I used to feel the same way about bonus ball and Barry behrman and even Brady behrman too.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
John Schmidt has set a goal for himself. He works hard at achieving his goal. It is indeed a good thing for one to set goals for oneself.

Why do people want to begrudge John at his attempt to set a goal??? After all, no one here on this thread was present when Willie did the 526, so how the heck do we know what the exact table/pockets/cloth specs were like and whether or not he stopped to clean the balls (although I bet that he didn't since the whole scenario was a public exhibition staged by/for the Brunswick corporation)?

Sweet Jeezus, what the heck is wrong with you people (the detractors)? Give the man his due. Whatever the conditions of the balls and table, 527 balls in a row is an amazing feat, and one that should be recognized and respected.

I wonder what the high ball run is for all the naysayers?

Maniac

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only that...Willie was a better dancer..his father wanted him to go pro.

Al, you must've done a lotta KP when you were in the military...:)

LOL - I wasn't exactly go with the flow but I never did KP. Seriously though, do you think Mosconi used a snooker marker for his 526?

Speaking of marking the cue ball I posted in another thread the video of the final rack and it appeared to me the guy wearing white gloves who "cleaned" the ball inadvertently got something on the ball when he cleaned the cue ball with those white gloves.

Schmidt picked up the cue ball midway through the final rack and cleaned it with his glove and said "there is a string or something" - while he did that the guy was leaning on the rail with the white gloves - picking up chalk, powder, hair, "a string or something" whatever else was on the rail. Probably would have been better off wiping the cue ball on his shirt. Reminded me of an old stooges episode in which they were surgeons and washed their hands and then wiped them on a dirty towel.

I'm convinced that "string or something" is what made the cue ball curve like it did on the scratch. Tough break because he was on his way to 526 and that ball never should have scratched.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A ball marker like the ones they use for Snooker.

I think he needs one for when he is cleaning balls so that h Iuri s runs have even less controversy.

If he had run over 526 balls I'm sure it would go against him in the record books regardless true accomplishment it would/will be.

I mean no disrespect but fear it would question the "authenticity" of the run.

Everyone should have one, they are easy to get..I bought two and gave one to a friend.
If you buy, be sure to get the right size.

https://www.wish.com/search/pool ball markers/product/54de2b7ebbac34053dfa78b6?&source=search

If I knew how I would have sent John one myself.

btw, If you don't mind waiting a while for shipping there are some great deals on just about everything here.
steven

I just checked my order history, this one works with our 2.25 inch balls.

https://www.wish.com/product/597bed8651017808d8c333c7

It is a couple dollars more, though.

Last edited: