Comparison LD Wood/LD Fiber

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Has anyone posted results of ''draw'' tests when comparing one brand of shaft to another? Which shaft DRAWS your ball more, with less arm speed?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Has anyone posted results of ''draw'' tests when comparing one brand of shaft to another? Which shaft DRAWS your ball more, with less arm speed?
All you're testing is energy transfer efficiency, so you don't need to shoot draw shots - centerball shots (without an OB) and comparing travel distances is enough. But it's still problematic...

I guess you could be sure you're hitting the same spot on the CB by checking chalk marks after every shot. But how would you be sure you're hitting with the same arm speed?

pj
chgo

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my feeling without trying to test anything.... When hitting below center for a draw the greater deflecting (more squirt) shaft will send the cue ball airborne longer than a lower deflecting (less squirt) shaft. When it's airborne longer the backspin stays on the cue ball longer and you'll get more draw.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not scientific at all but I stated im my revo banger perception thread that the draw shot was a weakness of mine and i can draw the ball a whole lot easier and farther with the revo I just bought. I.never could draw worth a darn before ....with any wood shaft I used.

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
All you're testing is energy transfer efficiency, so you don't need to shoot draw shots - centerball shots (without an OB) and comparing travel distances is enough. But it's still problematic...

I guess you could be sure you're hitting the same spot on the CB by checking chalk marks after every shot. But how would you be sure you're hitting with the same arm speed?

pj
chgo

This test could never be done without a high-precision stroke robot. Since we lack that, players have to rely on their own perception rather than empirical data.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my feeling without trying to test anything.... When hitting below center for a draw the greater deflecting (more squirt) shaft will send the cue ball airborne longer than a lower deflecting (less squirt) shaft. When it's airborne longer the backspin stays on the cue ball longer and you'll get more draw.

Wrong. If the cueball bounces it loses some of its draw.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am most curious to see comparisons at different speeds. Like, how much do these shafts deflect at 5 mph, 10 mph, 15 mph, and 20 mph? I expect CF to have more consistent results but I’m eager to see a scientific and independent study.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Wrong. If the cueball bounces it loses some of its draw.
I'm sure this is a tradeoff. Wonder which is the winner...

pj
chgo

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I am most curious to see comparisons at different speeds. Like, how much do these shafts deflect at 5 mph, 10 mph, 15 mph, and 20 mph? I expect CF to have more consistent results but I’m eager to see a scientific and independent study.

It's like a Stiff meter test, not a Stimph, like in golf. Have Iron Willie hit the same draw shot speed of all shafts and post results. This would be GOOD info in my book.