Break shot help...

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
For me, I've been improving my break shot by practicing my force follow shots a little more and focusing on where I'm hitting the object ball. Before playing a lot of straight pool, I can honestly say that I wasn't comfortable playing force follow shots. I'm still not to the point where I play shape for force follow as much as I could (I tend to play for draw position), but I know I'm improving in that area and that it has helped me with my break shots.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Steve (Lipsky),

What english do you use on the opening break? I've always been a high/right guy from way back, probably having read that in one of Mosconi's books. But I was watching the DVD's of the 2006 tournament and it appeared as though a lot of the players used low/right so I experimented with it and got some very good, but mixed, results. I'd be interested to know what you use.

Thanks.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Steve (Lipsky),

What english do you use on the opening break? I've always been a high/right guy from way back, probably having read that in one of Mosconi's books. But I was watching the DVD's of the 2006 tournament and it appeared as though a lot of the players used low/right so I experimented with it and got some very good, but mixed, results. I'd be interested to know what you use.

Thanks.

Dogs,

It's hard to believe that they were really using low. Maybe some sort of a drag type shot, so as to affect where the forward roll begins? Not sure.

But the fact is, finding the right english and hit is important in how you want to leave the cueball. But it's actually not that important in not leaving a shot. For this, 90% of the battle is in making sure you have a nice tight rack to begin with. You have to go up and check the back row of balls. If there is even a hair width between any of them, you're likely to sell out. If there isn't, you'd have to mangle the break shot to leave something really easy.

I see it not only in my own results, but I also see it in those of my opponents. They very often break well against me; meanwhile, their breaks don't look that good when I watch them against other players. Since I'm making sure to freeze that back row against them, and I know that most other players don't, it seems that's probably the difference.

Let me know how this works out for you.

- Steve