Earl is a disgrace!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
When it comes to people with bi-polar disorder, it's easy to blame everything about their behavior on the disorder. But there is a big difference between bi-polar disorder and immaturity.

Oh yeah....and I was wondering what Janette was thinking about the antics, as she's a true professional when in the public eye. Mike Massey is the same, and Fats was the same till his death, tho Fats started bringin' the Earl character home in his later years. That is what caused he and Evelyn to go their separate ways. He was just soooooooooo worn out and tired and Never would let the public see that side of em. When he started swearing and such at home around Evelyns mother, that was the last straw.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please...... You want to know what makes a true champion? The legacy you leave. Buddy, Keith, Parica, Varner, once they started losing their dominance did they whine, b!tch, cry, berate and disrespect their opponents? No. They did so with dignity, class and respect. Right now you're seeing the same out of a sun setting Efren and to an extent, Archer. Earl is a sick and disturbed human being. He WAS a champion, now he's a just a demented individual that happens to play good pool. Champions don't act like jackasses and show ZERO respect for their opponents.

Excellent post, and I agree 100%.

Ken

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Sorry Jen, but if you think that the "Strickland Story" was a flattering review of what makes Earl tick, you watched a completely different version than I did ! I think it was amazing that Barry Hearn, (and whoever else helped him) did a great job of editing, to keep him from looking like more of a conceited, "all about me" jerk, than he really is !

There is a decided majority of 'quality' forum members that disagree with your pro-Earl stance, but that's fine !..It is your prerogative to defend his actions, and I must say, you stick by him regardless of what an a-hole he proves himself to be !..Why I don't know..You seem so level headed in most other areas.

As I said before, I (and many others) refuse to give him a pass, on his mental problems..He can communicate intelligently, if he wants to..There are people who have had 'frontal lobotomies', who came off less confrontational than Earl, BEFORE their procedure !..No doubt, Earl is an autistic savant (ie; "Rain Man") at pool !..If he could incorporate 1/10th of that skill into his personality, I could live with it..But Earl could care less about acting normal !..:sorry:

I tend to agree. While I admire Earl's pool playing ability and talent I can't say I admire how he acts when playing. I thought the documentary was interesting, but I don't think you can really say it showed him to be a great sportsman or human being or anything. Possibly the opposite. I posted a link to the youtube video on my facebook and my buddy came back with the perfect comment: "I just watched the whole video. Gee up until now I just thought Earl was a self-worshipping a-hole but this totally changed my mind." (note heavy sarcasm)

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
Earl is a genius on the pool table, plain and simple. With genius, often times comes a bit of madness. Ask the likes of the people who were around Bobby Fischer, Van Gogh, Nikola Tesla, or Howard Hughes.

I'll take the genius with the madness anyday over the alternative of never having someone like Earl in pool.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Earl is a genius on the pool table, plain and simple. With genius, often times comes a bit of madness. Ask the likes of the people who were around Bobby Fischer, Van Gogh, Nikola Tesla, or Howard Hughes.

I'll take the genius with the madness anyday over the alternative of never having someone like Earl in pool.

tap, tap, tap.

Reactions: JAM

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
When it comes to people with bi-polar disorder, it's easy to blame everything about their behavior on the disorder. But there is a big difference between bi-polar disorder and immaturity.

Yes, but what you can't know or even pretend to know unless you know the subject very well is does one cause the other, or is the person just a natural bastard. Earl show classic signs of certain kinds of mental - emotional illness which lead me to believe that maybe he's not just an ass sometimes

Reactions: JAM

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member

Genius.... Not even close. Earl was an incredible shot maker and he hated to lose, that is what set Earl apart from most of them. Efren and Corey? Genius. Earl? Incredible shot maker with an extreme desire to win.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Classic and so true.

Please...... You want to know what makes a true champion? The legacy you leave. Buddy, Keith, Parica, Varner, once they started losing their dominance did they whine, b!tch, cry, berate and disrespect their opponents? No. They did so with dignity, class and respect. Right now you're seeing the same out of a sun setting Efren and to an extent, Archer. Earl is a sick and disturbed human being. He WAS a champion, now he's a just a demented individual that happens to play good pool. Champions don't act like jackasses and show ZERO respect for their opponents.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
Genius.... Not even close. Earl was an incredible shot maker and he hated to lose, that is what set Earl apart from most of them. Efren and Corey? Genius. Earl? Incredible shot maker with an extreme desire to win.

Yeah, I disagree.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but what you can't know or even pretend to know unless you know the subject very well is does one cause the other, or is the person just a natural bastard. Earl show classic signs of certain kinds of mental - emotional illness which lead me to believe that maybe he's not just an ass sometimes

Why do you assume that I don't know Earl very well?

What are these certain mental-emotional illnesses that you are referring to?

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I wonder if some of you people have ever been in a pool hall. It isn't a library. Stuff happens.

Earl doesn't like to lose and it shows. If you can't handle that perhaps you should go to a library, check out a book and sit in the silence of the library quietly reading undisturbed.

And this is why we cant have nice things.

Banks

Banned

He's no more a genius for putting a ball in a hole than Mike Tyson is for punching people.

Bobby Fischer could see countless possibilities.. limited 'genius'. Now just a jerk.

Van Gogh, created something out of nothing. Visionary painter. Died at 37, so everything that's known about him and his creations was done within that short time frame. His work is popular, even among those that don't collect art. He also did work as a missionary.

Tesla, harnessed A/C for use. Too much to list, really.

Howard Robard Hughes, Jr. (December 24, 1905 – April 5, 1976) was an American business magnate, investor, aviator, aerospace engineer, film maker and philanthropist.

Maybe Earl's close to Fischer.. that's about where the 'genius' ends.

tomgearhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One man"s view on earl

I have been a member of this forum since January of 2005. I read it almost EVERY day and comment little.....this post being only my 111th. And, as someone who has spent time off the pool table with Earl Strickland, I feel compelled to weigh in on this:

Earl, as a child...from the first moment he found a pool table with his father,,,for better or worse, has lived and breathed his every waking moment, thinking, strategizing, practicing, honing, exercising, conditioning, and mentally preparing himself to become the BEST poolplayer that has ever lived. From what I know, from many discussions with him, he has had very little life outside of pool trying to realize that lofty goal.

I have NEVER met a more passionate, knowledgeable, opinionated and frustratingly stubborn man in my life. But, I also have never met a man whose mind works on a different level than mine playing pool. What I have had to work fifty years on to perform at my level of playing pool Earl had learned and surpassed it by the time he was seventeen. For those of you who say he is not a genius, you are sadly mistaken. He is. I won't extrapolate, but by the very definition, he is.

I have followed his ups and downs through the years. His heyday of being on top of the world, traveling and playing pool in different countries, living a lavish lifestyle that the kings and queens of ancient Egypt had never had; all the while having pro pool players, short-stops, amateurs and wannabes hanging on his every word.

Then, after many years of being on top, came his fall from grace into the depths of uncertain madness that seems to befall all childhood celebrities, Oscar winning actors and aging sport stars that Father Time always sneaks up on.

Although Earl may have lost a step in the one mile races, he is still the horse to bet on in the 100-yard dashes. Don't EVER sell Earl short on that one. He has achieved more in his life playing pool than any of us on this forum who rush to judgement on this five time US Open winning world Champion and BCA Hall of Famer. Earl has forgot more pool knowledge than most of us have ever learned and he deserves a place of honor...not ridicule.

I have watched Earl, during a rough time of his life, broke, sleeping in his car and not knowing where his next meal was coming from do charity events that have helped children and disabled adults raise funds to help ease their lot in life. I have also watched Earl help many struggling young pool players by giving his time unselfishly and then sign autographs for hours on end.

For all you folks who pile on the criticism of this great pool playing legend, you can only dream of the accomplishments that this man has achieved in his life....and you do it from the anonymity of facelessness behind the keyboard of your computer: I say Earl has nothing to explain to us. What have YOU done?

I am proud to know Earl and call him my friend.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been a member of this forum since January of 2005. I read it almost EVERY day and comment little.....this post being only my 111th. And, as someone who has spent time off the pool table with Earl Strickland, I feel compelled to weigh in on this:

Earl, as a child...from the first moment he found a pool table with his father,,,for better or worse, has lived and breathed his every waking moment, thinking, strategizing, practicing, honing, exercising, conditioning, and mentally preparing himself to become the BEST poolplayer that has ever lived. From what I know, from many discussions with him, he has had very little life outside of pool trying to realize that lofty goal.

I have NEVER met a more passionate, knowledgeable, opinionated and frustratingly stubborn man in my life. But, I also have never met a man whose mind works on a different level than mine playing pool. What I have had to work fifty years on to perform at my level of playing pool Earl had learned and surpassed it by the time he was seventeen. For those of you who say he is not a genius, you are sadly mistaken. He is. I won't extrapolate, but by the very definition, he is.

I have followed his ups and downs through the years. His heyday of being on top of the world, traveling and playing pool in different countries, living a lavish lifestyle that the kings and queens of ancient Egypt had never had; all the while having pro pool players, short-stops, amateurs and wannabes hanging on his every word.

Then, after many years of being on top, came his fall from grace into the depths of uncertain madness that seems to befall all childhood celebrities, Oscar winning actors and aging sport stars that Father Time always sneaks up on.

Although Earl may have lost a step in the one mile races, he is still the horse to bet on in the 100-yard dashes. Don't EVER sell Earl short on that one. He has achieved more in his life playing pool than any of us on this forum who rush to judgement on this five time US Open winning world Champion and BCA Hall of Famer. Earl has forgot more pool knowledge than most of us have ever learned and he deserves a place of honor...not ridicule.

I have watched Earl, during a rough time of his life, broke, sleeping in his car and not knowing where his next meal was coming from do charity events that have helped children and disabled adults raise funds to help ease their lot in life. I have also watched Earl help many struggling young pool players by giving his time unselfishly and then sign autographs for hours on end.

For all you folks who pile on the criticism of this great pool playing legend, you can only dream of the accomplishments that this man has achieved in his life....and you do it from the anonymity of facelessness behind the keyboard of your computer: I say Earl has nothing to explain to us. What have YOU done?

TAP, TAP, TAP!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every pro player hates to lose, and yet Earl is the only one that treats his opponents like shit and with zero respect.

I'm sure he's a great guy off the table. I know he's done a lot of charitable work, but that is no excuse for his actions on the table.

Banks

Banned
Every pro player hates to lose, and yet Earl is the only one that treats his opponents like shit and with zero respect.

I'm sure he's a great guy off the table. I know he's done a lot of charitable work, but that is no excuse for his actions on the table.

Hey, that's the price of being like Tesla, but playing pool.

Perhaps when we get good at something, we can be celebrated for being jerks, too. Everybody needs something to hug, I guess.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl has always been a crybaby and used to be unpopular with the other players. He gets a pass from some because of his record. and longevity.

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So that's your excuse for him treating other players like shit?

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member

Just cuz someone is genius that don't mean that they have God given right to talk down to anyone. Anyone can suffer from Insanity, delusion and arrogance, a lot of those who have these traits don't have an excuse of being a "genius" like Earl does.
The only thing that stands out about him is that he needs help. There are a lot of people that seem to care about him and he needs to acknowledge that.
If you want to play "genius" card then what about Efren ? what about Buddy hall ? those guys are like God's playing pool among us mortals. Never heard anyone complaining about them two.
I don't want to sound cliche but the golden truth of life is "You treat other people like you wanted to be treated".
There are lot of pool players that behave like Earl does, I have seen it. The only difference is they don't have "skills" to back them up. IMO to be a great player an individual needs to have a "fire" within them, in Earl's case he is getting engulfed by it and we as players who love this sport and appreciate Earl's skill can't help but to watch him burn.