Fats-What's My Line?

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
PS_Put to rest the BS that Fats had a difficult time writing his own name.

Well yes and no. Later in life Fats did in fact have a difficult time writing his own name due to health. He had a rubber stamp of his autograph that he would use to give his "autographs" at exhibitions and such due to this difficulty.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1963 or so -probably been up before at some time.

[t keeps starting at the end-you may have to rewind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLEvHuM3WWI&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it. It also shows what I have long thought was true; he lost a lot of weight in his later years.

Well yes and no. Later in life Fats did in fact have a difficult time writing his own name due to health. He had a rubber stamp of his autograph that he would use to give his "autographs" at exhibitions and such due to this difficulty.

I didn't realize this. Do you know what issues he had? I would suspect diabetes at a minimum.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Thank you for posting this. I especially loved the reaction from the panel when they found out he was Minnesota Fats ,happy and impressed .

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know he used the stamp but some said it was because he was lazy while others said he couldn't sign because he was "practically" illiterate. I didn't hear about a physical issue.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
1963 or so -probably been up before at some time.

[t keeps starting at the end-you may have to rewind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLEvHuM3WWI&feature=youtu.be

Yes sir, he was a sharp pool player, his hands were fine for writing, until later in life. But yes he also opted for the stamped signature many times even when his hands were fine.

Fatty also did an episode of " lifestyles of the rich and famous" that is pretty entertaining

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I didn't realize this. Do you know what issues he had? I would suspect diabetes at a minimum.

I know he used the stamp but some said it was because he was lazy while others said he couldn't sign because he was "practically" illiterate. I didn't hear about a physical issue.

He definitely was incapable of signing later in life, even when he was still doing exhibitions. In fact at a certain point he had a difficult time even using the rubber stamp and it was a real chore. His wife explained one time why he was no longer capable of signing but I have forgotten what she said the reason was. His hands were shaky and weak but I have forgotten if it was just due to age of if there was more to it. I don't have any first hand knowledge for how often he used the stamp earlier in life, or the reasons for it if he did.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure he was using the word so casually as much as he was simply parroting someone's nickname. Not exactly the same as expressing it as an original thought. He was a lot of things but he never struck me as mean-spirited.

Just my thought, could be wrong.

agreed, just found it quaint seeing that in 2017

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He definitely was incapable of signing later in life, even when he was still doing exhibitions. In fact at a certain point he had a difficult time even using the rubber stamp and it was a real chore. His wife explained one time why he was no longer capable of signing but I have forgotten what she said the reason was. His hands were shaky and weak but I have forgotten if it was just due to age of if there was more to it. I don't have any first hand knowledge for how often he used the stamp earlier in life, or the reasons for it if he did.

My buddy who isn't on AZ just sent me a picture of his book 'Great Bank Robberies' or whatever where Fats signed it in 1988 right beneath his stamped sig. MY friend said he had no problems physically signing it. He only lived 8 more years and it's understandable that he would have difficulty later on when he was half dead. Me and you will too.

Attachments

• Fats sig.jpg
    Fats sig.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry about the size- i hate that but im not techie enough to know how to do it smaller