Has anyone tried the McDermott Defy?

creederitis

Registered
I got to try it at the McDermott both at APA Vegas. I was honestly super disappointed in the hit and feel of it. I found it to be the WORST hitting carbon fiber shaft that I’ve tried, and I’ve basically tried everything.

BeCue (3/8-10 or radial, I didn’t like their butt) and Meucci (radial) have the best feel. I’d then Stack the Predator revo and Mezz ignite next followed by Jacoby (radial) and Cuetec (their joint). Then pretty much any of the custom ones you can find on Facebook, then the McDermott.

Also avoiding steel collars on these because they make the carbon shaft hit like shit.

It really is a shame because they are my go to recommendation for players looking to spend 2-400 on a cue for the quality of the regular cues. But I would NEVER recommend their carbon fiber shaft after trying it. It honestly felt like hitting balls with a 20 graphite Walmart cue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to try it at the McDermott both at APA Vegas. I was honestly super disappointed in the hit and feel of it. I found it to be the WORST hitting carbon fiber shaft that I’ve tried, and I’ve basically tried everything.

BeCue (3/8-10 or radial, I didn’t like their butt) and Meucci have the best feel. I’d then Stack the Predator revo and Mezz ignite next followed by Jacoby and Cuetec. Then pretty much any of the custom ones you can find on Facebook, then the McDermott.

Also avoiding steel collars on these because they make the carbon shaft hit like shit.

It really is a shame because they are my go to recommendation for players looking to spend 2-400 on a cue for the quality of the regular cues. But I would NEVER recommend their carbon fiber shaft after trying it. It honestly felt like hitting balls with a 20 graphite Walmart cue.

I have a Becue (with the Becue butt) and I have a Meucci shaft.

They both play well.

I don't know what you didn't like about the Becue butt. It pairs perfectly with the Becue shaft and I think it hits more "pure" than a carbon shaft on a non-carbon butt.

creederitis

Registered

They both play well.

I don't know what you didn't like about the Becue butt. It pairs perfectly with the Becue shaft and I think it hits more "pure" than a carbon shaft on a non-carbon butt.

Honestly, I tried it side by side with their full cue versus a 3/8-10 on a good custom butt and the hit to me felt better on the big pin with the wood custom.

I’m not saying it’s bad, just that if I was to choose the hit was clearly favored by both myself and several other players better then me.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is that?

Because hit is an individual thing..He thinks it hits like shit . You may love it . I hated playing with predator cues until I hit with one on a cue that didn’t have a metal joint. I can’t tell you why but the stainless joint just hit like shit to me. I used one on a sneaky Pete and loved it. No idea why lol

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member

BeCue (3/8-10 or radial, I didn’t like their butt) and Meucci (radial) have the best feel. I’d then Stack the Predator revo and Mezz ignite next followed by Jacoby (radial) and Cuetec (their joint). Then pretty much any of the custom ones you can find on Facebook, then the McDermott.

Wow
I wasn't expecting to hear that

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member

They both play well.

I have a Becue shaft as well and love it. I was thinking of getting a Defy in 12mm since I have the Becue in 12.5mm

creederitis

Registered
Why is that?

Because hit is an individual thing..He thinks it hits like shit . You may love it . I hated playing with predator cues until I hit with one on a cue that didn’t have a metal joint. I can’t tell you why but the stainless joint just hit like shit to me. I used one on a sneaky Pete and loved it. No idea why lol

So, the only thing I’ve been able to come up with is stiffness. Carbon Fiber shafts are an inherently stiff material. Steel is also very stiff and will not transfer vibration or flex much with the hit. Thus more energy gets retained in the shaft versus transferring through the entirety of the cue which ruins the feel to me.

Last edited:

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried it in Vegas. Didn’t care for it. Has a very soft hit. Almost dead feeling. It put everything you wanted on the cue ball but the hit was so muted it just didn’t feel right. A US pro player was there also just hanging out and I handed it off to him and he felt the same way after hitting some balls with it. Some people might love it, but it’s definitely different than every other CF shaft I’ve tried and I’ve tried all the major ones except becue and Pechauer.

Last edited:

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't a fairly good pro player player with a carbon fiber shaft and a steel collar???

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I tried it in Vegas. Didn’t care for it. Has a very soft hit. Almost dead feeling. It put everything you wanted on the cue ball but the hit was so muted it just didn’t feel right. A US pro player was there also just hanging out and I handed it off to him and he felt the same way after hitting some balls with it. Some people might love it, but it’s definitely different than every other CF shaft I’ve tried and I’ve tried all the major ones except becue and Pechauer.

The Becue has a very soft hit. It's actually what I love about it. About the only hit I don't like it's mushy, but that's a tip issue or ferrule issue and not the shaft. I'd compare the Becue to the original OB shaft with a wooden ferrule.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
It's the first I've heard offered in 13mm.
I'm not any LD or carbon guy really, but I'd like to hit some with it.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think maple is better for playing

the carbon may last longer and ding less,but I am pretty much
through with carbon fiber

then again i am almost through playing pool

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of the prototypes now that I have been letting people hit. Here is my feedback as well as what I have heard.

My feedback is that it was a soft hit and english is effortless. I have shot it with a steel joint and a wood joint and I personally couldn't tell a difference. Very low deflection and very low vibration.

Here is the feedback I have received from others. Almost everyone I have let hit the cue said that it hit better than a revo, and that is from people who own a revo. I actually have someone who will be selling their revo to get a deft shaft. I also had an instructor say that it hits better than a revo and the cuetec shaft.

But certain people will like certain shafts and certain hits. Where one person may love the defy shaft, another may not like it as much or at all. The best thing would be just to hit it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think maple is better for playing

the carbon may last longer and ding less,but I am pretty much
through with carbon fiber

then again i am almost through playing pool
And you're getting a new table why??? ;)

Last edited:
I preordered a Defy Shaft from a retailers a couple months ago but still no word on when it will deliver. Has anyone heard anything concrete about when they will start delivering?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any opinions would be welcomed.

It's magnificent. It is on the uber-low vibration and muted feedback range, totally opposite of the Revo. If that's what you're looking for, this cue is for you. Consider also the Becue in that same range.

The Revo, IMO, is also pretty amazing.

Freddie

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I preordered a Defy Shaft from a retailers a couple months ago but still no word on when it will deliver. Has anyone heard anything concrete about when they will start delivering?

My guess is November-December depending on when your retailer put in the order. I know McDermott is getting orders made now.

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's magnificent. It is on the uber-low vibration and muted feedback range, totally opposite of the Revo. If that's what you're looking for, this cue is for you. Consider also the Becue in that same range.

The Revo, IMO, is also pretty amazing.

Freddie

Do you think the muted feedback is due to construction or tip hardness?
I tried a Prime M and did find it kind of numb.