Is SVB currently a top five "pool" player...worldwide?

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reminds me of last year before the Mosconi Cup when people were on here saying to leave him off the team because he’s a choker.

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In his day Buddy Hall was top 5.
In his day Nick Varner was top 5.
in his day Shane was top 5.

It's no longer any of their days.

MapleMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are we talking tournament play, gambling,or both? His match with Orcullo will answer some questions.

I would like to answer yes. I believe that he is a threat to win any event he enters

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
In his day Buddy Hall was top 5.
In his day Nick Varner was top 5.
in his day Shane was top 5.

It's no longer any of their days.

Well, you know where he's at, grab all the players better than him and bet something.

Who would they be? Has to be at least 5

I'm guessing the stuttering is gonna start

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as it's not One Pocket with Tony Chohan.

Glad you posted this up.
Watch the rebroadcast, SVB played very poorly in this match. If he hadnt driven so many balls into the rails,this match would have been diff.

Of course if my aunt had nutz she would be my uncle.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would Shane (824 Fargo ratng) have to spot Tony Chohan (751 Fargo rating) in a long set of One Pocket for big money?
Fargo means nothing in 1p. Nothing. Shane probably needs a spot from T-Rex.
Thank you for your insight and objectivity, but I was hoping to hear what one of the die-hard SVB fans thought about this. :eek:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I get where this comes from. He lost out of the US Open and showed a lack of resilience or positive attitude along the way.

The part that needs to be baked in is that he got dealt an extremely frustrating blow with Lechner. Fading an 8 pack, coming back from down 9-0 and making it hill hill only to watch the guy break in the 9 ball. That has to be one of the most frustrating sets of the year. I saw him warming up for the event and it looked like he was coming here to win it and show he was still the world's best and take his 6th title. Instead he got broomed out with a set that would have done in anyone including Filler or Ko or Shaw. It's not surprising he was showing a little frustrating when he played Berg.

Meanwhile, whenever he gets a chance to play long sets like the one with Dennis upcoming he snap calls. And despite all of these set backs he remains ranked at the top. Think of what that looks like when he's running and feeling good.

I make no claims he is number one or the wild card in a tournament, but he is definitely in the top 5 and remains a serious force to be reckoned with.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
tap tap tap

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In his day. Lol. Shane is like 37. Everyone goes through ups and downs. Shane is not done winning titles.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this topic always going to arise after SVB loses at a major tournament?

The topic of him being the "best" who ever lived always comes up whenever he wins a tournament. It seems the detractors can question the other side when he fails to go deep. Results have been quite a bit different when the top players from the rest of the world have started coming here. No easy draws relatively speaking any longer. Players have to bring their A game for every set of the tournament now.

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great post. Since 2016, Shane is now 0 for 2 at the US Open, and 0 for 2 at the International Open. Granted, the fields have exploded in sheer numbers of extremely talented players-that have superseded the world championship in field average Fargo rating.
I expect him to come out swinging for the next US Open in Vegas.

Pete Fleming told me this week that a race to 11 (and even to 13) isn't long enough to determine if the winner is better at these high competition levels. Especially when it goes hill-hill or loser on the mini-hill, a small number of rolls going the other way could easily reverse the outcome. If Shane didn't miscue on the 5 in the 20th game with Lechner, he probably would have beaten the eventual finalist by winning 11 straight games. If Lechner hadn't miscued (also on the 5, iirc) he would have probably tied Shaw late in the match and been favored to win from there (breaking as good as he was).

I doubt anyone can be more than say, picking a number, a 20% odds favorite to win a big event going in, with maybe 5 co-favored at the top, and maybe another 10 close on their heels. Has even a dominant player ever won just half of the big tournaments in a year in their best career year (other than Karen Corr sweeping the WPA tourneys, once)? Efren won just one US Open, for example (along with a few finals losses as well). I think sustained top 10 finishes (including some wins) might be the better gauge than wins per se.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ill say this:
I went into the local room wanting to take Shane in the race to 120 with Dennis.
I was amazed at the number of ppl that wanted Dennis.Thought I was going to have to give Dennis about 10 games.
Wound up turning down even bets.