Banks Banks I hate Banks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stouter2386

how about the 5 out ?
Silver Member
I just dont know what it is but banks are my absloute worst enemy when running out, they're always a run killer for me. and the worst part about it is that i love playing one pocket and can usually get a good 4-5 run going but then i have to bank. maybe its just a mental thing at this point but who knows any systems or advice would be much appericated

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
One and Three

I just dont know what it is but banks are my absloute worst enemy when running out, they're always a run killer for me. and the worst part about it is that i love playing one pocket and can usually get a good 4-5 run going but then i have to bank. maybe its just a mental thing at this point but who knows any systems or advice would be much appericated

I stink at two rail banks, my nemesis. One rail and three seem to want to find the pocket. I don't know if you do but spend some time working on kicking too. A surprising number of people leave easy kicks.

I do know the issues with two rails, I still stink! Of course the very fact that I am uncomfortable with them is a big issue, probably some of your problem too now, banks have gotten in your head. Get everything Freddy The Beard has put out, should help. I got his banking with the beard book and the first time I went to the pool hall after reading it once and kind of studying through it once I hit some banks I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Hu

stouter2386

how about the 5 out ?
Silver Member
See thats where it gets complicated for me cause im a pretty good kicker as i dont give up ball in hand all that much. maybe i should just start banking with no english just strait middle

9bizzle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice avatar!!! How long have you been playing? The key to good banking relies on several things. First maybe you should find a simple banking system which will help you to start to "see" the bank. I found mine early on in the book "The 99 Critical Shots in Pool". Start out by making bank shots with the system, then as you start to see the banks by shooting them with repetition, you can start introducing spin and speed to your shots which will change the angle of the shots. It's something that doesn't come overnight, you need to shoot a lot of banks. Freddy Bentivegna has a book called "Banking With the Beard". I would recommend this book as I believe it to be the bible of banking instruction. Everything that affects a bank shot is in this book. Good luck and Go Tigers!!!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
could be

See thats where it gets complicated for me cause im a pretty good kicker as i dont give up ball in hand all that much. maybe i should just start banking with no english just strait middle

I usually hit the cue ball just a little high and with a little running english. Of course if either of us uses running english on a two rail "Z" bank the english reverses it's action on the cue ball off of the second rail. A very simple thing you probably already know, adjacent rails either maintain or increase the effect of running english; unless hit so slowly that the english dies before the second rail opposite rails reverse the effect of english. That is why the running english or induced english from hitting the first rail usually shortens up the third leg of a "Z" bank. The counter is to hit the bank very softly or very hard. Now if I would just practice what I preach when I'm shooting two railers . . . :eek:

Hu

SPRINGFIELDFATS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banks

If i were you look up jimmy reids no time for the negative he goes over it and many other things it helped me alot and for two or three rail banks get the all i know set and you find all kinds of info good luck

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banks don't slop in-

Go to the Derby and watch 459 players compete at banks!! every yr. It is another level of Pool. Freddie's always there.The bank ring game is great to watch!! 9 ball banks and full rack banks are 2 of the best Pool games of skill that there is. If you play one pocket,banks will greatly improve your level of play. be open to changing that attitude friend- love banks. mark

stouter2386

how about the 5 out ?
Silver Member
Ya i guess i should rephrase my title to i love when my banks go in lol, to me theres nothing better then ripping a bank with some sick draw or some nasty high right or left and to my neighbor with the beautiful avatar ive been playing for about 7yrs now and never had such a problem with banks until i joined these damn leagues on the bar tables. like i said earlier i love to play one hole on the 9footer but since ive been playing on these little tables ive just been off and cant make an adjustment to either table now. ive been pretty lucky to grow up around a lot of great player like Joe henry, Ronnie wiseman, adam smith to name a few. so ive seen this game played at a very high level and have seen how horribly easy it CAN look at times

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Buddy Hall, one of the greatest players to ever joint a cue, always used "the Buddy system"....he hit the ball where he thought he had to hit to make the ball....but he probably had some practice. ;)

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

check your rep comments. what's important to remember is to focus only on making the bank. if shape happens it happens

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Ya what good is making the damn thing without having shape

'Cause you get to stay at the table? I would rather be kicking 5 rails to hit a ball than sitting in my chair...

As long as you make the first shot, you have a possible second shot, no matter how unlikely.

TheCaveman

Piling Rocks in My Cave

My advice would be to buy the Beard's book, Banking With the Beard. It's a great book and it will improve your banks.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
My advice would be to buy the Beard's book, Banking With the Beard. It's a great book and it will improve your banks.

Good advice....it has a lot of great pool stories, also. Also try "The Gospool" by Mr. Bentivegna...His books are full of excellent info.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Spend, Study, and Shoot

The three S's of learning how to bank:

Spend a few bucks to get all the bank info you will ever need,

Banking With The Beard
http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=237

The GosPool of Bank Pool
http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=241

DVD, Banks That Don't Go -- But Do!
http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=261

DVD, Banking With The Beard -- The Movie
http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=399

Spend time studying the systems, principles, and diagrams. Read the road stories of the champs for motivation and inspiration.

With your mind now headed in the right direction. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Practice and try out what you learned until you have some confidence, and finally start looking for all those players that used to push you around.

the Beard

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banking with the beard materials.......

From a living legend and one who has played with the likes of ''Eddie Taylor'' and ''Bugs Rucker'',,,check out Freddy's site,,,,his materials not only are very informative but make for fun viewing/reading....

You can thank me later !!!

Have fun, Alan.........

getsome01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the only way

my advice is, take out all 15 ball , bank them untill all balls have been pocketed. then repeat 10000 times. goodluck.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
All good suggestions, so far stouter, but let me add that you may be hitting your banks a bit harder than necessary, especially those short cross railers. The harder you hit the object ball the more you shorten the bank angle. Try shooting them at pocket speed.
Also, on most normal bank shots, a little outside english always helps.
Go off into a corner and practice short and long rail banks using medium to soft hits, and english only. You'll get a good feel as to how much spin is needed to make bank shots. :)