Run 143 and lose - video

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
In an effort to get back to what we're here for, I uploaded one of the videos Danny and I shot in early 2009. I run 143 and lose, with Danny running a bunch himself. Some good commentary as well.

Anyway, it's amazing how much I've learned from these videos. Though the balls weren't always cooperating with me, I make lots and lots of pattern errors. I try to learn from watching my mistakes. Danny, as usual, plays beautifully.

Anyway, enjoy :)

http://vimeo.com/20002823

- Steve

P.S. Don't remember why I originally signed up as Joe Balsis lol. Was long time ago.

Last edited:

Chris_Lynch

I play pool
Silver Member
I would still buy some of these things on DVD. I haven't managed to watch this yet but I'm sure I would gladly pay a bit to have it on DVD. I'll watch it as soon as I can. Maybe April.

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Thanks Steve, I'd love to watch it as well. Is it possible to make it available for download? If not, buy a DVD of it?

I rarely have two open hours connected to the internet to watch a video, but I do download and watch them on the plane and when I travel every week. Pretty funny the looks i get from the folks sitting around me. "You are watching a POOL GAME?" and when they see me watch the longer runs, it gets pretty funny. After a while in a long run, the guy next to me usually asks, "He hasn't missed YET?!" Pretty funny,

Anyhow, thanks for posting it. It would be great to download and watch, if not, I understand, I'll try to get some time over the next few weeks to watch it. Just the thought of running over a 100, let alone 143 and losing just amazes me!

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
Awesome! I really enjoyed both the pool and the commentary. It's so nice to get to watch great straight pool.

Just out of curiosity, what types of cues were each of you using?

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Thanks Steve, I'd love to watch it as well. Is it possible to make it available for download? If not, buy a DVD of it?

I rarely have two open hours connected to the internet to watch a video, but I do download and watch them on the plane and when I travel every week. Pretty funny the looks i get from the folks sitting around me. "You are watching a POOL GAME?" and when they see me watch the longer runs, it gets pretty funny. After a while in a long run, the guy next to me usually asks, "He hasn't missed YET?!" Pretty funny,

Anyhow, thanks for posting it. It would be great to download and watch, if not, I understand, I'll try to get some time over the next few weeks to watch it. Just the thought of running over a 100, let alone 143 and losing just amazes me!

Thanks Wink. We were definitely intending to sell this one (perhaps packaged with others), as it's at least possible that nothing like this has ever been captured on video.

But a lot of the pros seem to be giving this stuff away for free, so I'm not sure what the market for this really is.

Anyway, I would prefer to keep the download option off for the time being. Hope you understand. :)

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Great Post Stevie !

You and Danny did a great job with the "LIVE" commentary LOL !!

It was nice to hear the banter between the both of you, and you gave us all a great chance to get in your heads and of course see the both of you play Great 14.1 !!!

-Steve

Last edited:

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Anyway, I would prefer to keep the download option off for the time being. Hope you understand. :)

Thanks,
Steve

No worries, just ping me when it is available. If I haven't watched it online, I'll get a copy from you.

sausage

Banned

Thanks,
Steve

steve: you may not know this but RealPlayer Downloader automatically downloads videos. if you are considering selling the video, you may want to just post video highlights and offer signed copies of the vid by you and Danny B.

i especially liked the commentary because unlike many 14.1 vids you guys stay on topic and focused on the game. i've seen straight vids where the commentators begin musing about the past, not paying any attention to the game what so ever. it's very frustrating...

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I Know i am down for buying a copy.....Bring me one to SBE 14.1 Challenge Stevie !!!

-Steve

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Wink,

We are both playing with Schons in this video. I have since become a player rep for Zinzola cues, and play with a really nice one Tony made for me in 2010. His cues hit like a dream.

Sausage,

Thanks for the info. Well, we wouldn't want to turn the video off so soon after putting it up, even if it might cost us in the long run. At this point, I'll have some challenges with a DVD of this particular match anyway because we made the commentary over a compressed version of the file. Not sure if I can rip the audio off and put on the 3gb video. Maybe we can record new commentary lol. I'll make sure to keep the part where I get sick because Danny never gets safe. :)

Thanks for watching guys.

- Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Stevie,

if you have the orignal Audio file, it shouldnt be too hard to lay the track over the video.

if you want i can give it a try, i have a pretty good video editing program.

it would even allow me to export it to a dvd format !

let me know
-Steve

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Very nice video Steve!
Enjoyed the match. It was the first time i saw a bit more of Barouty....-wow, he s really an amazing strong player and i love to see him playing-Great style and a phantastic rythm.
Hard to get teared down witha 143- Gratulations anyway for a great run Steve,

lg from overseas,

Ingo

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Steve:

Early reviews.

The first break shot and key ball, I did not like so well, but he acted like it was great so maybe it is. Something to practice and look for.

That second rack where Danny chose the behind the rack break shot, he moved so darn fast. I need to look at that rack again. I think he barely bumped anything. He seemed to know how he wanted the rack to look like at the end and how to sculpt the rest out of the table.

You sure do hit those break shots hard! Nice to be able to be that confident in your shot.

That three rail position you were playing was interesting. Once, you drew three rails through the kitchen and ended along the long rail to where your pattern looked pretty simple. I probably would have tried to just go across and back and end up bumping something.

More to watch....

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Side Pockets

Steve,

First of all, thanks to you and Danny for posting your video. It has been both entertaining and enlightening. I'm working my way through it a few racks at a time in an effort to get as much out of it as possible.

I do have a question. I don't expect you to remember why you played which ball when, since the match was played in 09, so I'll ask this in a general sense. While watching an Accu-Stats DVD of a player reviewed match, Rempe states that if there are 2 balls near the center of the table and you intend to use one as a key ball, it is best to get rid of the one you won't be using before the end of the rack as it's easy to get out of line if you leave them both.

You finished the 3rd rack of your run by leaving 2 balls near the middle of the table. Even though you had an opportunity to take one of them out, you chose not to. In playing them as the last 2 remaining balls, you ended up going to the rail for position on the break ball rather than having a stop shot for break ball position.

I was wondering what your feelings are on the subject and if you subscribe to Rempe's school of thought on not leaving 2 balls near the middle of the table if one is intended to be used as the key ball.

Thanks again for posting the video and thanks in advance for your response. Great run!

Ron F

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
thank you for posting this video! great playing, great commentary.

one comment wearing my audio pro hat: if you do pull the audio out and pair it with higher-res video to sell, it would be worth compressing the vox, because you're pretty far off mic in a lot of it, and it's less understandable than you may think, Steve.

and, as i said, it's great commentary!

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Steve:

Early reviews.

The first break shot and key ball, I did not like so well, but he acted like it was great so maybe it is. Something to practice and look for.

That second rack where Danny chose the behind the rack break shot, he moved so darn fast. I need to look at that rack again. I think he barely bumped anything. He seemed to know how he wanted the rack to look like at the end and how to sculpt the rest out of the table.

You sure do hit those break shots hard! Nice to be able to be that confident in your shot.

That three rail position you were playing was interesting. Once, you drew three rails through the kitchen and ended along the long rail to where your pattern looked pretty simple. I probably would have tried to just go across and back and end up bumping something.

More to watch....

Thanks for the comments Dennis. Yeah, his first rack ended with I think a good key ball and break ball - but he got too thin on it. That's why he couldn't really draw into a better angle on the break shot. I know it was a bit confusing when he said he got good, but I think he said that before he saw how thin it was. As a rule, I find those key balls to work well but only when you can guarantee you'll get good on them.

The second rack is very indicative of the type of play I've seen from him for a decade. Nothing had to be moved, everything had a pocket, and to most other eyes than his it's just hard to see.

Guilty as charged on hitting the breakshots hard :). I do play quite a few of them much softer, but I don't know if any were on this tape. Additionally, I feel that in the two years since this video, I continue to try to learn how to hit breakshots better. Still a LOT left to learn....

The three rail position you are referring to, with the draw, was interesting. When seen on the tape, it looks a bit bizarre, but I knew it was a totally safe option while playing it. There was no scratch, and speed control wasn't much of a factor. It's a great shot to get back in line when the whole other half of the table is empty.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming...

- Steve