How to pronounce Schön

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, Germany is Deutchland if you are over there. We completely changed the name of the country. Go figure......

There are many words that are pronounced different in their native tongue, this is just one of the many.

Last edited:

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
I am german and Schön does not sound like "shown".

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Until this thread, I was one of those people.

Thank you.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
I have heard a lot of people make this mistake with pronouncing Schön. Those two little dots over the O are called an "umlaut" which gives the O an actual O sound when you say it. It is pronounce "shown", not shawn like sooooooooooo many people do. Without the umlaut it would give it a "shawn" sound but that is a totally different meaning in german, that word does NOT mean beautiful. Translated into English, schon (notice the lack of the dots over the O or the umlaut) can become any of these English words: already, as early as, before, even, just, now, okay, quite, really, very, yes-but, yet. The actual word Schön just simply means beautiful in German, and that is the way the cue maker is spelled, with the umlaut. Just a little language lesson so everybody can stop making the mistake of mis-pronouncing the name of the cue. Take it or leave it.

Hey! I have met you! Yeah, I remember, you were that one guy, out of the 100s that I have talked to about my cue, that tried to correct me when I called my cue a "Shawn". Keep up the campaign bro, eventually you will find someone else who actually gives a f*ck about those little dots above the o.

berko

Aggressively passive
Silver Member
I just called them, and they pronounced it to rhyme with John.

Don't worry, I set them straight. :thumbup:

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not German but i'm pretty sure its not pronounced "shown". I was taught the umlaut sound is like shaping the inside of your mouth to pronounce an "O"" but close your lips around it as if pronouncing an "ooo" sound. it sounds closer to an "uh" sound.

At least that's what my voice professors taught me. :) Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Niklas

Registered
The letter ö is the same in swedish, my native language.
Pronounce it as the u in burn, or maybe the i in bird, maybe with a slightly sharper tone.. :smile:

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wie Bitte?

Was sollen das ganze quatsch mit dem ausdruecken von einem billard queue hersteller! Er hat das mit absicht gemacht um den menschen zum bezweifelen mit dieser besondere namen!! Shon,Schown,Shawn,Shurn(meine favorite),showen,... Scheisse sag ich nochmal!!! Genug mit dieser verdammten Umlaut!! Kill the Umlaut because Americans can't pronounce it!!!

cajunfats
no umlaut on his pc:rolleyes:

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
Then I was taught totally wrong. And the way you guys are making it sound it shouldnt be pronounce shown or shawn but schoon.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny...

I was friends with Bob Runde's son Matt in college, we hung out quite a bit as well as spending time with his dad at home and at the factory. He pronounced it "shawn", I think he would know since it was his company... :)

My understanding is the true german pronounciation, with the umlaut at least, might have more of a "ur" sound like the previous poster mentioned. But as for the company name, it's "shawn" all the way. I cringe when I hear people pronounce it as "shown", but seems to be pretty common...

Scott

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
Funny...

I was friends with Bob Runde's son Matt in college, we hung out quite a bit as well as spending time with his dad at home and at the factory. He pronounced it "shawn", I think he would know since it was his company... :)

My understanding is the true german pronounciation, with the umlaut at least, might have more of a "ur" sound like the previous poster mentioned. But as for the company name, it's "shawn" all the way. I cringe when I hear people pronounce it as "shown", but seems to be pretty common...

Scott

Then I stand corrected. Thank you.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm not German but i'm pretty sure its not pronounced "shown". I was taught the umlaut sound is like shaping the inside of your mouth to pronounce an "O"" but close your lips around it as if pronouncing an "ooo" sound. it sounds closer to an "uh" sound.

At least that's what my voice professors taught me. :) Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
I was taught almost the same way: shape the lips to say "oh" but try to say "ee".

pj
chgo