Who best to head a new Players org?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A new Pro Players organization is needed imo. One that will crawl at first, then walk, then run hopefully to the point of meaningfully sanctioning events. The leader should be someone with brains and business acumen. Some college would be a plus and indicate at least SOME intelligence off the pool table but there are plenty of no college guys with lots of brains. Some educated guys are off their rocker also so chose carefully.

Player Ranking or pool ability should definitely NOT play a part in the selection process.

Who's your pick?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A new Pro Players organization is needed imo. One that will crawl at first, then walk, then run hopefully to the point of meaningfully sanctioning events. The leader should be someone with brains and business acumen. Some college would be a plus and indicate at least SOME intelligence off the pool table but there are plenty of no college guys with lots of brains. Some educated guys are off their rocker also so chose carefully.

Player Ranking or pool ability should definitely NOT play a part in the selection process.

Who's your pick?
It would be a thankless job I would not wish on anyone. It is hard to see how it could be done as a part time thing or hobby. It would take some commitment and who wants to do all that for pretty much nothing.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

Who's your pick?

IMHO it's not a good idea to have a player head up a players' organization. You either play or you manage; if you try to do both, you'll fail at both.

Secondly, the choice of a CEO depends on the goals of the organization. If you don't know what the specific goals are, you can't hire the right person.

Done properly, the CEO of a sports organization's player association is a full-time job. Since the players can't even support themselves, how will they pay a CEO?

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Over the last several years I have been thinking about this a whole lot.
The players interests have to be represented.
The promoters interests have to be represented.
The fans interests have to be represented.
All without the political baggage that the industry is permeated with.
All without a dictatorship.
It's a tall order but I believe it can and should be done.

I will check with my doctor to make sure I'm not crazy for being interested in getting involved.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent points so far and some of the reasons i said they have to purposely crawl before they walk.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Secondly, the choice of a CEO depends on the goals of the organization. If you don't know what the specific goals are, you can't hire the right person.

It feels funny to be quoting myself (above :grin:), but at the risk of side-tracking this thread, I think it would be worthwhile to list/prioritize the goals of a player's organization.

I'll offer these:

1) Get more money into professional tournament prize funds
2) Insure that the promised prize fund is paid in full and on-time.
3) Expand the number of professional tournaments.
4) Other?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It feels funny to be quoting myself (above :grin:), but at the risk of side-tracking this thread, I think it would be worthwhile to list/prioritize the goals of a player's organization.

I'll offer these:

4) Other?

#1 s/b imo-Increase fan interest in the game- Without that i dont think you are getting the others

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
#1 s/b imo-Increase fan interest in the game- Without that i dont think you are getting the others

And to increase fan interest you need more fans. I think this can be accomplished by making amateur pool a better environment.

I would point to the USGA for golf as an example. Governing body which is not tied to professionals or trade organizations. Responsible for rules of the game and a few national championships.

Ken

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And to increase fan interest you need more fans. I think this can be accomplished by making amateur pool a better environment.

I would point to the USGA for golf as an example. Governing body which is not tied to professionals or trade organizations. Responsible for rules of the game and a few national championships.

Ken

i meant more fans- i wasnt implying we need the current fans to get more excited about pool- :) ahahaha

future757

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

I think modeling after golf or tennis is a good idea where there is 1 pro tour and say 4 "majors" or "grand slams" that are distinctly different...say 10 ball on 9ft, one pocket on 9 ft, straight pool on 9ft, and 8 ball on 7ft.

future757

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO is it not a good idea to have a player head up a players' organization. You either play or you manage; if you try to do both, you'll fail at both.

Done properly, the CEO of a sports organization's player association is a full-time job. Since the players can't even support themselves, how will they pay a CEO?

I agree you can't both play and manage but I do believe it's best to have a former player manage, maybe someone that has "retired" from playing. A former player would best understand the needs and desires of today's players

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
i meant more fans- i wasnt implying we need the current fans to get more excited about pool- :) ahahaha

That is exactly what I thought you meant. :)

To me, fans are amateur players. Random non-playing folks would be a tough sale!

Ken

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok let's say all the pro players are under the same organization. Then what? Find the guy or gal that knows the answer and make them in charge.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

100% correct...It has already been proven, (many times) there is NO pool player in the world, with the necessary management skills to succeed in such a venture !..It may also be impossible to find someone well qualified, who would have any interest at all, in even trying !..Henceforth, the dilemma continues...Mr. Bond said it well.."I will check with my doctor to make sure I'm not crazy for even being interested in getting involved." :rolleyes:

PS..No amount of hand wringing, or wishing, will make it come about either !..It would HAVE to be funded by the player's..and when have you ever seen a pool player, who thought beyond tomorrow ? (6 hrs. is a stretch :eek:)

Last edited:

mowermarty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a group of players should start a tour

A group of pro players should start a tour. Promoting eight or ten stops a year with members getting entry at one price and non members paying more. After a tour works for a few years {if it does} many possibilities will open up. If it does not work money wise what good would a players group be anyway.
You need someone with business experience that can build a tour where the top 20 or so pro players can make at least a small regular income while the player owned promotion company sets rules, dress code, conditions of play ect.
Having players boycott current added money events is not likely to work. If I were having an added money event and a group said they were not coming unless you do this or that I would say O.K. maybe see you next time.
This plan worked for the women for awhile.
Something along the lines of a farmers co-op like the ones you see in the upper Midwest.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll offer these:

4) Other?

5) Bridge the divide between professional and amateur pool.

I think number one should be a goal but only if it's viewed in the right fashion. Instead of demanding that more money be added to the prize fund a player organization could be an active participant in the process of bringing in this additional money. They need to view it as part of THEIR responsibility.