OK thanks Dr Dave but I am posting....

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I have to say I worked for awhile today at the pool room on finding my dominant position/ visual center..... When I am playing constantly I can use either eye over the cue and my brain will disregard the other image but since I have no time on the table I am finding that my eyes are trying to work together when they physically cannot. Working on computers and even reading puts both eyes to work depending on the field of vision the media is in.... Today I had dbl images in some positions and comfortable positions have one eye saying go and the other eye saying you are going to miss.....

With that in mind I came home and started to look for a way to create a method for creating the centerball contact and the aim line for reference and came across this... I worked in the mirror for about an hour before looking on line and could never see true centerball and the shot line at the same time.....

I will be trying this tomorrow night... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKoMZrg1MAg

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say I worked for awhile today at the pool room on finding my dominant position/ visual center..... When I am playing constantly I can use either eye over the cue and my brain will disregard the other image but since I have no time on the table I am finding that my eyes are trying to work together when they physically cannot. Working on computers and even reading puts both eyes to work depending on the field of vision the media is in.... Today I had dbl images in some positions and comfortable positions have one eye saying go and the other eye saying you are going to miss.....

With that in mind I came home and started to look for a way to create a method for creating the centerball contact and the aim line for reference and came across this... I worked in the mirror for about an hour before looking on line and could never see true centerball and the shot line at the same time.....

I will be trying this tomorrow night... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKoMZrg1MAg

Good luck. Just curious, sorry if i am under estimating your skill, can you hit the CB (center ball) by itself up table through the two spots on the table, and CB come back to your stick (within an inch or so either side for now), ensure the spots label on the table are accurate 100% straight line, use laser beam to correct it. If CB goes left or right, i would not do any other thing before correcting this issue. start slow, then do it at all speeds. Like to hear your progress. Thanks

Just for reference vision mistakes alone on straight shot (since cutting is not a factor) usually takes OB 1/4 to 3/8" either way of target on long shot; stroke errors/english/squirt/sverve/throw/stun..etc takes it anywhere from 2" to a full diamond off! I know straight shot direction does not change with english, but at times it gets hit with 1- 5 degrees off then english takes!

Human eyes are laser sharp if they are healthy trust them.

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Renfro;4821582... I am finding that my eyes are trying to work together when they physically cannot. Working on computers and even reading puts both eyes to work depending on the field of vision the media is in.... Today I had dbl images in some positions and comfortable positions have one eye saying go and the other eye saying you are going to miss... [url said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKoMZrg1MAg[/url]

Interesting observation. I did not play for about a month, simply had no inclination. The other day I walked passed the hall and stopped in just for the hell of it. I play with the stick centered under my nose and found that I had double vision and had to stay on the shot for another 30 seconds to get my vision to clear up. It did not clear up very well though I could still pocket the balls (muscle memory?)

The problem had me worried and I found that after about 20 minutes it cleared up. BTW, I too spend a lot of time reading and at the computer.

I went back to the hall a few days later and found the same thing. This time it only took about 10 minutes (a long time) for my vision to regain its flexibility. I suspect that my vision has lost the ability to shift gears for playing at the table.

I am 70 years old this year so some loss in flexibility can be expected though I do play most other sports with about 80% of my prior abilities. However, I was pleased to learn that my eyes did regain their ability to focus in a relatively short period of time. Now I think that I need to play at least every few days to keep that flexibility.

Apparently, at my age you need to keep playing on a regular basis. BTW for those of you who think that 70 is "old" you should see some of us who live in an "active" retirement community. I know guys who play tennis in the morning, baseball in the afternoon and then go dancing and drinking at night. Many of them can give the younger guys a run for their money in some sports. When you hit the mid 80s is when physical abilities seem to deteriorate. It is also true that I know guys back home who are 60 and "old." It all depends on how active you stay.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

If you have two mechanical bridges handy, that is a good way to help find your personal "vision center." I actually have a description of and link to this video on my vision center resource page. Also on the page is the description of another approach that I think is better, where you hold the cue in your normal stance, and shoot balls. I think this is a better way to find and test your vision center. For more info, see the paragraphs after the second video on the resource page.

Regards,
Dave

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have two mechanical bridges handy, that is a good way to help find your personal "vision center." I actually have a description of and link to this video on my vision center resource page. Also on the page is the description of another approach that I think is better, where you hold the cue in your normal stance, and shoot balls. I think this is a better way to find and test your vision center. For more info, see the paragraphs after the second video on the resource page.

Regards,
Dave

IMO, if you use CB as cross hair, vision alignment does not change one's vision or seeing where to hit, having the head off to extreme right or extreme left causes stroke to be very bad, hence can be thought of as vision issue. If you use the cue shaft as cross hair i will tend to agree with the youtube and Dr, Dave vud

Last edited:

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for reference vision mistakes alone on straight shot (since cutting is not a factor) usually takes OB 1/4 to 3/8" either way of target on long shot; stroke errors/english/squirt/sverve/throw/stun..etc takes it anywhere from 2" to a full diamond off!

Vision is by biggest struggle in this game, and trust me, it makes way more than 3/8" difference.

My vision with contacts is extremely good. I'm in the top 1% on on each eye (like the doc says read the 20/20 line and then I read off the next 4 lines after that). But because they are both so perfectly corrected, my dominance shifts from one side to the other a lot (like between each shot). On top of this, my eyes produce a lot of lipids (or something like that) which means my contacts move around a lot, causing whichever one is better centered to be my dominant eye.

I have no "vision center"... it's constantly moving in my case. This makes it so that I either shoot lasers (right eye dominant), or miss so bad I couldn't hit the side of the barn (left eye dominant).

To adapt to this, I've done a few things that have really helped:

1. Adopt a snooker style, chin-on-the-shaft stance. This gives me the best reference visually, and really helps smooth out my stroke (I have a beard, so it's like another bridge hand :groucho:)

2. Aim with my left eye closed. This took a while to get used to, I just get the shot line setup from here, then I'll open both and look at my bridge hand during my stroke. This is now part of my pre shot routine.

At some point I may get some left eye contacts made that aren't so good so that my right will stay dominant.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member

Going to try whats in that vid myself,next time I am in the pool room.I tried a similar technique,one I came up with on my own before but I failed to elevate the cues onto the bridges so that it is stable.I didn't spend alot of time on it but I was trying to figure out which is my dominant eye and how far off center I should be.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vision is by biggest struggle in this game, and trust me, it makes way more than 3/8" difference.

My vision with contacts is extremely good. I'm in the top 1% on on each eye (like the doc says read the 20/20 line and then I read off the next 4 lines after that). But because they are both so perfectly corrected, my dominance shifts from one side to the other a lot (like between each shot). On top of this, my eyes produce a lot of lipids (or something like that) which means my contacts move around a lot, causing whichever one is better centered to be my dominant eye.

I have no "vision center"... it's constantly moving in my case. This makes it so that I either shoot lasers (right eye dominant), or miss so bad I couldn't hit the side of the barn (left eye dominant).

To adapt to this, I've done a few things that have really helped:

1. Adopt a snooker style, chin-on-the-shaft stance. This gives me the best reference visually, and really helps smooth out my stroke (I have a beard, so it's like another bridge hand :groucho:)

2. Aim with my left eye closed. This took a while to get used to, I just get the shot line setup from here, then I'll open both and look at my bridge hand during my stroke. This is now part of my pre shot routine.

At some point I may get some left eye contacts made that aren't so good so that my right will stay dominant.

My post assumes 100% healthy eyes. I wear contacts my self. Curious what is your skill level, thanks.