how are ya'll doing in league ?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, lorider! Been struggling too lately. Yesterday, I finally won a great match in Masters. Took 2 hours but I won 7-5 in a tough fight. Whew, feels great.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't posted on here in a long time but wanted to share recent success and the reason behind it.

In the last three weeks I have played 3 NAPA 8 ball matches. I won 9-0 (9-3 race), 8-2 (8-4race), and 7-4 (7-5 race). I played 1 ten ball match winning 7-1 (7-5 race). I also went 5-0 in my BCA 8 ball league playing each opponent on opposing team 1 game.

I have really been working on my mental game. I bought Mental Toughness Training For Sports. Even being a high ranked player, I still struggle with confidence and focusing on the wrong things sometimes while playing. The book has taught me a lot about what to think about/not think about while playing and ways to deal with pressure and adversity.

If anybody is in the same boat I would suggest getting this book and taking it to heart. It was recommended in Play Great Pool by Mark Wilson.

I have also won $400 playing for less than $20 at a time. I feel like this missing link could really step up my game!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I am back on track after that fiasco I mentioned in my last post.

Tue night 8 ball I faced a 4 and won 4-0

Last night in 8 ball I faced a 5 and lost hill-hill. Last rack he was on the 8 ball and I had 5 balls left. I elected to lay safe. I got bih and ran down to my Las ball getting on the wrong side of it. Managed to make it and of course I got on the wrong side of the 8 ball leaving me a hard bank. Hit the tip and rattled.

Although I lost I felt good about my play...except for getting out of position on my last ball in that Las rack lol

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been awhile since any one posted...including me lol

Since tonight was the start of the 1st session for this year I thought I would resurrect this thread.

Saturday my lo ...who is in Vegas this week txt me and asked if I wanted a new player to replace him on my team. At 1st I was against the idea because I truly like my lo playing on my team. He told me he had a guy that just moved here from out of state and was looking for a team .

My lo reminded me that with all the tri cups and best of the rest and ltc's coming up he could not show up much plus the fact that he could not play in any of the tournys with us either.

The fact that my lo cant play in play offs or higher never bothered me even though it leaves us with out a high handicap player and 1player short.

After mulling it over I decided to take this guy ...he is a 6/6. Some one to face higher level players than me even though I am only a 5 I hold my own with those guys pretty much.

When i show up tonight I have this 5 who I have been trying to get for the last 3 years come up and ask me if I still want him. I said heck yea and added him also .

Well we did pretty good tonight. Won 9 ball 62-38 and 8 ball 9-4. I only played 9 ball tonight and won vs a 6 by 12-8.

My new player that is a 6 won both his matches vs their 7.

Too early to tell but it looks like this might wind up to be a pretty good team for next year if we stay together.

As for this year .....
Sun night 8 ball won playoffs but don't see a chance in hell of winning tri cups
My Tue night 8 ball team is ltc qualified....good team here.like our chance of winning it all
Wed night 9 ball team is ltc qualified but I don't see a chance in hell of winning
Wed night 8 ball won playoffs last wed but don't see a chance in hell of winning tri cups
Thur night 9 ball team won playoffs last week and I like our chance of winning it all

Last edited:

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Ended last session undefeated 10-0 and MVP in my APA nine ball league, started this session last night and got destroyed.

I either broke dry and left great shape on the 1, or I dropped a ball and found myself horribly hooked with no push out option...

One of those nights I suppose, so frustrating...

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played great in my NAPA 9 ball match on Tuesday. It was a 6-5 race. Won 6-0. My opponent only made one ball the entire match after I gave him ball in hand when trying to get cute on shape.

Won 5-0 in BCA 8 ball league on Wednesday. I think this will be my last season. I do not enjoy the 8 ball format playing one game against 5 players on other team. I am a rhythm player so feel like I can never catch a gear playing that format. Would much prefer races.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Played the last match on our 9-ball team last night. Last week of the session, our team was in 3rd place going starting the evening, and the top 3 automatically make the playoffs in our division. We were only 5 points out of second, and about 15 points ahead of the team in fourth place. So we had a little pressure on us to do well enough to at least stay in 3rd. 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams were all playing different teams (not each other) so we needed a little help as well.

We were down some after 4 matches, the other team had two SL3's left, one of whom is very tough (she's a SL4 in 8 ball, and likely will be in 9 at some point in the near future). We could counter with our SL3, who plays pretty well, or me. They chose me.

Well.....I didn't get killed. :p

She was way up on me, at one point it was probably 20-20. (For non APA folks, she needed to get to 25 and I needed to get to 38.) Ended up losing 25-32, a 13-7 split for them. Made it close, or at least closer...

I must've hung at least 6 balls in a pocket, maybe 8. Not gonna win against a strong SL3 that way. Seems I never learn, I need to hit shots more firm playing 9-ball, so if i miss I don't leave them right there....sigh.

The good news is the team closest behind us in the standings didn't do well either, so we've made the playoffs, and will also get to go to the Tri Cup.

jwhip

Registered
Just finished two sessions with a fairly new team in APA double jeopardy team. Made playoffs both sessions but failed to move on. Played on a 9 ball team and finally got time with a more senior player and coupled with quitting drinking while I play, went up 2 skill levels in 9 ball, currently I am a APA 7 in 9 ball and 6 in 8 ball. Only playing double jeopardy during the upcoming summer session and looking forward to getting this team moving forward.

We have some good up and coming shooters, but they aren't very receptive to coaching and wanting to learn more on their own. I'm all for how they want to go about learning, but shrugging off time outs and going with what they want when it comes to team play, can be aggravating. Any ideas of how to approach?

Blaine B.

Clueless
Silver Member
I could only commit to every second week due to my work schedule. I got picked up on a team with a Captain who's quite experienced, the rest of the team either hadn't played pool other than for amusement or hadn't played league in 15 years.
The team developed very well over time, we fought hard through the year end tournament and finished in the top half of our division after being bottom 10% all season.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just finished two sessions with a fairly new team in APA double jeopardy team. Made playoffs both sessions but failed to move on. Played on a 9 ball team and finally got time with a more senior player and coupled with quitting drinking while I play, went up 2 skill levels in 9 ball, currently I am a APA 7 in 9 ball and 6 in 8 ball. Only playing double jeopardy during the upcoming summer session and looking forward to getting this team moving forward.

We have some good up and coming shooters, but they aren't very receptive to coaching and wanting to learn more on their own. I'm all for how they want to go about learning, but shrugging off time outs and going with what they want when it comes to team play, can be aggravating. Any ideas of how to approach?

The way I deal with players like that is to tell them that I am there to help if they are unsure about anything but I will not initiate the time out. Let them know that sometimes the perspective of an outside observer is really beneficial. Let them know that you want them to win as much as they do and you can help them do that if they follow your advice. Whenever I give a timeout I always ask the player first what they are thinking. Then we can build from there. I don't tell them they are wrong but make a suggestion if I see what I believe is a better choice.

One high level player once told me he has won far more matches coaching others than he has by playing. I believe that is a very true statement.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

I think as long they're unreceptive it's gonna be tough. The way I usually approach a newer team member is to first ask, "So what are you thinking here?" if it's a viable option I'll try to respond more with questions then instructions, sort of let them coach and just help them to think it through. If I think it's a little off the wall I'll ask"What about this..." and I'll try to give them a couple of other options so that we work it out together. I think it's imperative that they feel they are part of the shot selection, it builds their confidence in you as a coach. Also, if you, as a more advanced level player who doesn't really take time outs, if you find yourself in a similar situation call a time out and call one that player to the table and go through the shot selection with them "what happens if this....?"
The trouble with the time out process is they are usually taken a shot or two too late, that is - if we done this other thing two shots ago we wouldn't be hooked now. As a coach you also need to recognize those situations as well

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
struggling, big time.
I have started to work everyday again and now the only time i pick up the stick is on a sunday when i play. It took me a while to realize why i wasn't able to play or closeout like i was weeks prior because i wasn't working and got to practice some making significant breakthrough only to lose it all because i haven't been able to keep honing in on those key points.
Now i'm ready to quit because i don't see myself being competitive if the only time i play is when i have a match.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
struggling, big time.
I have started to work everyday again and now the only time i pick up the stick is on a sunday when i play. It took me a while to realize why i wasn't able to play or closeout like i was weeks prior because i wasn't working and got to practice some making significant breakthrough only to lose it all because i haven't been able to keep honing in on those key points.
Now i'm ready to quit because i don't see myself being competitive if the only time i play is when i have a match.
It's not much but can you at least get there a few hours early on Sunday before league play starts?

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not much but can you at least get there a few hours early on Sunday before league play starts?

i do when i can but heres the catch. The room opens at 4, we get going by 6, I work nights from 8pm to 6:30am-7am (anywhere between there) so depending on how my mornings go I would have to give up some for of sleep in order to get there at 4, and no it's not far from me (20mins tops and that's with traffic).

This really bugs me cause i have an unusual love for pool and this whole this is bitter sweet

jwhip

Registered
I think as long they're unreceptive it's gonna be tough. The way I usually approach a newer team member is to first ask, "So what are you thinking here?" if it's a viable option I'll try to respond more with questions then instructions, sort of let them coach and just help them to think it through. If I think it's a little off the wall I'll ask"What about this..." and I'll try to give them a couple of other options so that we work it out together. I think it's imperative that they feel they are part of the shot selection, it builds their confidence in you as a coach. Also, if you, as a more advanced level player who doesn't really take time outs, if you find yourself in a similar situation call a time out and call one that player to the table and go through the shot selection with them "what happens if this....?"
The trouble with the time out process is they are usually taken a shot or two too late, that is - if we done this other thing two shots ago we wouldn't be hooked now. As a coach you also need to recognize those situations as well

I like the idea of asking more questions. I usually ask "what are you thinking" but go right into my thoughts after they answer. Asking thought provoking questions to get them to a better shot selection will give them a better learning experience and more buy in on the shot.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i do when i can but heres the catch. The room opens at 4, we get going by 6, I work nights from 8pm to 6:30am-7am (anywhere between there) so depending on how my mornings go I would have to give up some for of sleep in order to get there at 4, and no it's not far from me (20mins tops and that's with traffic).

This really bugs me cause i have an unusual love for pool and this whole this is bitter sweet
I hear ya! I only get to play one day each week, too. Your love of pool isn't as unusual as ya think!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't been posting much lately.. Had some drastic changes in my personal life .....mostly good...:) that has caused me to cig back on playing. I still play on 5 teams ....just can't bs there every week for them and the teams don't want me to quit..they tell.me to make it when I can.

It has affected my level of play some.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
We won last session(Masters, cash league) I'm 4 - 0 (28 - 5) this session 7 - 4, 7 - 1, 7 - 0, 7 - 0. So far so good:thumbup:
Jason

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just started the summer session.8 ball on 7 foot diamonds. After the first 2 nights I am 8 wins 2 losses.
Now here is the strange part, I never missed a ball.
One game I broke dry and my opponent ran out.
Next game my opponent scratched I got ball in hand and decided to shoot a ball in the side pocket and break up 2 of my balls that were stuck together. The cue ball took a strange bounce and scratched and my opponent ran out.
Strange start to league.