Spot Shot Aiming Methods

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
By "little overcut" do you mean 2 to 3 degrees overcut? Because that's what it needs to be. Illustrations are fine to show information, but the reality of shooting the shots provides more accurate information. The very least amount of throw that naturally occurs for a halfball shot causes tge 30° cut angle to come out right around 28°. With the cb about 7in off the side rail, aiming a halfball aim puts that 28° result at center pocket.

Does that 7 inch spot put the cue over the short rail facing of the
corner from where you are shooting

Thats where i was taught to line up
Line up the cue ball From the facing to the center of the spotted ball ....half ball aim

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
By "little overcut" do you mean 2 to 3 degrees overcut? Because that's what it needs to be.
No, that much overcut only produces about a 1.5° correction, so with 2° of throw the OB goes to the right of center pocket but still drops (assuming you hit the half ball accurately). I chose that placement for its convenience (using OBs to space the CB from the rail).

You could alternatively place the CB 4th from the rail rather than 5th as shown (7 13/16" rail-to-centerball), making an overcut of almost 3°, and the OB then goes left of center pocket

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Line up the cue ball From the facing to the center of the spotted ball ....half ball aim

Pretty close, maybe about an inch or two away from that inside facing.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

I think the yellow line in my second diagram shows about where your butt would be over the pocket (pretty much in the middle of it). Notice where it crosses the head string (the red line in the center, at exactly 30 degrees cut, crosses the head string about 10 1/2" from the rail).

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Here is a fractional way to look at spot shots....

https://youtu.be/B8wYcN-SDz0

Here's what I see on this video. Or maybe it's what I don't see. Only you know and you could tell me when and where.

I don't see you shooting these spot shots by feel. If you are, when and where.

I see you taking your time aiming and focusing. Aiming because you're explaining what the fraction and aim point is according to your way of playing once the balls are set into position and when you get down to take the shot because you don't want to look like an ass by missing too many.

I see focus with the aiming by the number of practice strokes you were taking before hitting the CB as well as how you slowed the last couple of strokes down when you were getting ready to pull the trigger.

What I couldn't see is what your eyes were doing going back and forth between the two balls. Again, I'm assuming by what you said while setting them up and the time over the ball is you were definitely homing in to a specific known spot.

I was definitely under the impression there was no fine tuning once down on the ball to somewhere else other than the fraction you had settled on.

Am I correct or were you in fact not sure of some shots and extemporizing?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
No, that much overcut only produces about a 1.5° correction, so with 2° of throw the OB goes to the right of center pocket but still drops (assuming you hit the half ball accurately). I chose that placement for its convenience (using OBs to space the CB from the rail).

You could alternatively place the CB 4th from the rail rather than 5th as shown (7 13/16" rail-to-centerball), making an overcut of almost 3°, and the OB then goes left of center pocket

pj
chgo
P.S. This got me thinking (ruh roh) and looking at my old calculations, and I noticed that I misspoke. The actual overcut for my 5th-from-the-rail CB placement is more like 1/2° rather than 1 1/2°. Your point about minimum throw is a good one, so I'm going to change my mind (and the graphic when I get around to it) and suggest the 4th-from-the-rail CB placement as the better one for this purpose. (The 4th ball's edge is 6 3/4" from the rail, pretty close to your 7" suggestion.)

FYI, here's the overcuts in degrees for 5th, 4th and 3rd ball CB placements. (Sorry it's a little hard to read: the overcuts are 0.4°, 2.9° and 5.2°.)

pj
chgo

spot margins.jpg

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's what I see on this video. Or maybe it's what I don't see. Only you know and you could tell me when and where.

I don't see you shooting these spot shots by feel. If you are, when and where.

I see you taking your time aiming and focusing. Aiming because you're explaining what the fraction and aim point is according to your way of playing once the balls are set into position and when you get down to take the shot because you don't want to look like an ass by missing too many.

I see focus with the aiming by the number of practice strokes you were taking before hitting the CB as well as how you slowed the last couple of strokes down when you were getting ready to pull the trigger.

What I couldn't see is what your eyes were doing going back and forth between the two balls. Again, I'm assuming by what you said while setting them up and the time over the ball is you were definitely homing in to a specific known spot.

I was definitely under the impression there was no fine tuning once down on the ball to somewhere else other than the fraction you had settled on.

Am I correct or were you in fact not sure of some shots and extemporizing?

You are 100% correct. I made sure to strictly use the designated fractional aim for each shot, aiming my cue tip accordingly. Once down on the shot I was looking back forth from the cb to the exact place I wanted my tip to be if my follow through could travel all the way to the ob, ensuring that my stroke felt like it was indeed on that line, that I was sending the cue through the center of the cb to that specific aiming reference on the ob end.

I noticed after watching the video that I rushed the psr on a few shots, almost immediately bending into the shot without first visualizing the aim line, which could've caused me to be off the aim line a touch without realizing it.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
P.S. This got me thinking (ruh roh) and looking at my old calculations, and I noticed that I misspoke. The actual overcut for my 5th-from-the-rail CB placement is more like 1/2° rather than 1 1/2°. Your point about minimum throw is a good one, so I'm going to change my mind (and the graphic when I get around to it) and suggest the 4th-from-the-rail CB placement as the better one for this purpose. (The 4th ball's edge is 6 3/4" from the rail, pretty close to your 7" suggestion.)

FYI, here's the overcuts in degrees for 5th, 4th and 3rd ball CB placements. (Sorry it's a little hard to read: the overcuts are 0.4°, 2.9° and 5.2°.)

pj
chgo

View attachment 544259

Very nice illustration. Now only if we had a machine stroke that never failed....we could pocket spot shots for days without missing! :thumbup:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

spot margins.jpg

Big words I rarely use alert.

Still having difficulty consolidating this dichotomy of the infinity of precision available just for the looking versus those "at least I don't choke as much" shot approximation methods.

runs down the hall to logout...

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the yellow line in my second diagram shows about where your butt would be over the pocket (pretty much in the middle of it). Notice where it crosses the head string (the red line in the center, at exactly 30 degrees cut, crosses the head string about 10 1/2" from the rail).

pj
chgo

Your red line is over the rail not the middle of the facing (1st diagram)
In your second diagram the 4th ball seems to extend to the facing
Brian showed in the video there is a zone where half ball aim works
Like your diagram shows only the borders of the zone is a little different
I think

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You are 100% correct. I made sure to strictly use the designated fractional aim for each shot, aiming my cue tip accordingly. Once down on the shot I was looking back forth from the cb to the exact place I wanted my tip to be if my follow through could travel all the way to the ob, ensuring that my stroke felt like it was indeed on that line, that I was sending the cue through the center of the cb to that specific aiming reference on the ob end.

I noticed after watching the video that I rushed the psr on a few shots, almost immediately bending into the shot without first visualizing the aim line, which could've caused me to be off the aim line a touch without realizing it.

Credit should be given where credit is due and I have to say that was some pretty sporty shooting and you did a good job especially at that hour of the night.

So, what does that tell you about focusing and using your eyes and body to align and aim on a consistent basis with a system, especially when playing for money or tournament?

How in Gods name or how in the hell could "FEEL" have been more effective and a better way to go?

IT CAN'T!!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a fractional way to look at spot shots....

https://youtu.be/B8wYcN-SDz0

Good video. The CTE guys won't admit it, but this video shows that Stan isn't up on the latest in aiming, or doesn't want to be. Look at the next 30 seconds of this video up to 4:40. He's just plain wrong because he doesn't understand Poolology. All of your shots on your video are "objective" by Stan's own definition.

https://youtu.be/IdTBDO_6au4?t=256

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Good video. The CTE guys won't admit it, but this video shows that Stan isn't up on the latest in aiming, or doesn't want to be. Look at the next 30 seconds of this video up to 4:40. He's just plain wrong because he doesn't understand Poolology. All of your shots on your video are "objective" by Stan's own definition.

https://youtu.be/IdTBDO_6au4?t=256

You just HAD to bring up CTE and Stan in a post that should have been on Poolology alone.

How about you're just plain wrong on most things because YOU don't understand CTE!

But thanks for proving the following to be true...

CTE OWNED!! Thought for anything else is limited or destroyed!! Cte-cte-cte-cte-cte-cte-cte!!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Credit should be given where credit is due and I have to say that was some pretty sporty shooting and you did a good job especially at that hour of the night.

So, what does that tell you about focusing and using your eyes and body to align and aim on a consistent basis with a system, especially when playing for money or tournament?

How in Gods name or how in the hell could "FEEL" have been more effective and a better way to go?

IT CAN'T!!

I really hope you aren't arguing in favor of consciously aiming on every shot while playing for money or in a tournament.

It doesn't matter how you aim, it needs to be second nature in competition, or if it's a really tough shot that might require a little extra attention.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just HAD to bring up CTE and Stan in a post that should have been on Poolology alone.

How about you're just plain wrong on most things because YOU don't understand CTE!

But thanks for proving the following to be true...

CTE OWNED!! Thought for anything else is limited or destroyed!! Cte-cte-cte-cte-cte-cte-cte!!

In your zeal to score what you think are points you've forgotten what your own thread is about. The first post, from you, is about how each of us aims spot shots, not about Poolology. Your post is clearly meant to illustrate the superiority of CTE, with Stan's video in tow. It is fair game to point out that Stan is not correct in that little clip I showed.

Why not discuss my point with facts and maybe we'll both learn something?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I really hope you aren't arguing in favor of consciously aiming on every shot while playing for money or in a tournament.

It doesn't matter how you aim, it needs to be second nature in competition, or if it's a really tough shot that might require a little extra attention.

Please tell me exactly how much time it takes or how the visuals of aiming make shooting WORSE. What happens while doing aiming that screws the shot up as opposed to one or two stroking and slapping the CB with a vague picture in mind?

Did it look to you like Tyler Styer and Aranis were just walking up to the shots, not aiming and whacking the balls.

If you have the aiming process down pat, and I mean REALLY down pat, aiming IS
second nature. All it's doing is making you be more careful instead of sloppy and lax.

Have you won any big tournaments lately doing it without aiming? Which one?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
In your zeal to score what you think are points you've forgotten what your own thread is about. The first post, from you, is about how each of us aims spot shots, not about Poolology. Your post is clearly meant to illustrate the superiority of CTE, with Stan's video in tow. It is fair game to point out that Stan is not correct in that little clip I showed.

Why not discuss my point with facts and maybe we'll both learn something?

The first thing you need to learn is how to read.

What I talked about in the opening post is ANOTHER way to aim using a PIVOT along with a completely different VISUAL and way to set up from CTE.

It had nothing to do with CTE. But here YOU ARE bringing it back in this post you made.

Where was YOUR contribution in the thread regarding how to shoot a spot shot?
Oh wait, there was none. You're in here starting your same SH*T that you always do.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please tell me exactly how much time it takes or how the visuals of aiming make shooting WORSE. What happens while doing aiming that screws the shot up as opposed to one or two stroking and slapping the CB with a vague picture in mind?

Did it look to you like Tyler Styer and Aranis were just walking up to the shots, not aiming and whacking the balls.

If you have the aiming process down pat, and I mean REALLY down pat, aiming IS
second nature. All it's doing is making you be more careful instead of sloppy and lax.

Have you won any big tournaments lately doing it without aiming? Which one?

Filler just ran all over Aranas, and it didn't look like he was consciously thinking about aiming.

As to your last question. I would say I've won as many big tournaments lately without aiming as you have with aiming.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Filler just ran all over Aranas, and it didn't look like he was consciously thinking about aiming.

How do you think he made so many balls throughout a 100 game match? He just shot like a quick draw pistol shooter? You don't know what was going on in his head or within his eyes. Ask him the next time you see him and are playing together. I can tell you for a fact what Styer was doing when he also beat Aranis but I need not say it because you know.

As to your last question. I would say I've won as many big tournaments lately without aiming as you have with aiming.

Since I'm not playing in any tournaments right now I know what you've won whether you did or didn't. It's the same.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first thing you need to learn is how to read.

What I talked about in the opening post is ANOTHER way to aim using a PIVOT along with a completely different VISUAL and way to set up from CTE.

It had nothing to do with CTE. But here YOU ARE bringing it back in this post you made.

Where was YOUR contribution in the thread regarding how to shoot a spot shot?
Oh wait, there was none. You're in here starting your same SH*T that you always do.

Uhh, I think you've lost your marbles. You asked people how they aim the spot shot and then you linked to a video titled, "The Spot Shot and CTE." Please show me where my reading comprehension is lacking in your opening post, reproduced below. Where do you talk about a different way to pivot and get a visual compared to CTE? Where does that even come from? For bonus points, please also point out where you state that this thread is only about Poolology, as you stated in a prior post.

Thanks.

"A shot all of us face at one point or another is the do or die SPOT SHOT. How do you shoot yours when faced with it? What method of aiming do you use to home in to the exact angle and contact between the CB and OB? Is your stroke strong enough to do it over and over without missing even when the CB is moved around the table to different areas? Is it always a half ball aim and hit? If the CB is moved, what changes are made to make it?

"Here's a way to do it with the same aim line, over and over from different parts of the table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTB...&index=22&t=0s

"Please do make a video showing how you do it with explanation.