Chinese 8 ball?

cheapcues.com

Cue Dealer
Silver Member
What's the interest level in America for Chinese 8 ball? Anybody out there thinking about buying a table? I'm considering importing a few Joy tables if there are any buyers out there...

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A year and a half or so ago Jayson Shaw posted on Facebook that he was going to sell his Diamond, buy a Chinese 8 ball table, and play that. He seemed bummed about the state of pool. However it seems he never followed through in that.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
A year and a half or so ago Jayson Shaw posted on Facebook that he was going to sell his Diamond, buy a Chinese 8 ball table, and play that. He seemed bummed about the state of pool. However it seems he never followed through in that.
I'm more interested in Rectangle Bumper Pool Tables.
I'm hoping to see it in the Olympics soon.

Also, Filipino Pool Tables.
More Fun. Less Room Needed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=odY1AHYDnBI

Better yet are the Carrom Tables from India.
They have World Wide Players and a World Championship.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMP_YnLMwbE
Very portable. You can carry one in your car to a friends house.

A Chinese Pool Table in every pool hall in America to play on will be the ONLY way for the US to become even vaguely interested in playing it regularly. Look at how popular Snooker and Carombola are!

But then I would also like an English Blackball Table, Snooker Table, Russian Pyramid Table, Carom Table and a Skeeball too.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't 8 ball on a 9 foot snooker table? Anything else special about it?
I think the rails are set for pool ball height but other than that you pretty much described it. I've watched a lot of it and it looks TOUGH. It also looks SLOW. I just can't see low-to-mid speed players having much fun playing this. Poolroom would like it tho 'cause table-time would be brutal. Take forever to play a set.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chinese 8 ball is the Frankenstein of pool.

Preach.
The game takes the worst of both worlds (snooker/pool) and slows down pool making most of the shots touchy-touchy, taking away all the great shots (down the rail for instance, or extreme power shots) that exist in pool and are rarely played in snooker.
Awful game, just awful.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Preach.
The game takes the worst of both worlds (snooker/pool) and slows down pool making most of the shots touchy-touchy, taking away all the great shots (down the rail for instance, or extreme power shots) that exist in pool and are rarely played in snooker.
Awful game, just awful.
I tend to agree here. To me a good analogy would be to make the holes on a golf course smaller. Does it make the game tougher? Of course. Better? Hell no. All it would do is further frustrate players and slow it to a crawl. I play a lot on 4" pocket GC's and they're more than tough enough, for me anyway. Ch. 8b will never be a big draw in U.S. rooms.

8ballr

Banned
Preach.
Awful game, just awful.

Totally....the only players who are attracted to chinese ball are the ones who don't have any finesse...like Gareth potts...or mark selby..just straight boring shooters.
Here Potts is saying 9 ball doesn't float his boat...ya because you can't just slow roll everything lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Sg6N41FJM

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Joy Billiards was at this year's Super Billiards Expo showing off their new table. FWIW, someone claiming to work for Joy was answering questions here. I don't know if the trolls drove him/her off.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally....the only players who are attracted to chinese ball are the ones who don't have any finesse...like Gareth potts...or mark selby..just straight boring shooters.
Here Potts is saying 9 ball doesn't float his boat...ya because you can't just slow roll everything lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Sg6N41FJM

To be honest, I feel that might just be a product of him not enjoying rotation games, rather than him being a "boring shooter". His potting is so advanced that I doubt he would have problems with switching to any cue sport if he so desired. His background is english 8-ball, and then he moved on to chinese 8-ball, so it shows a pattern of him preferring 8 ball to rotation games. That and obviously he's got a massive sponsorship for chinese 8-ball. :) So good for him, I say.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be honest, I feel that might just be a product of him not enjoying rotation games, rather than him being a "boring shooter". His potting is so advanced that I doubt he would have problems with switching to any cue sport if he so desired. His background is english 8-ball, and then he moved on to chinese 8-ball, so it shows a pattern of him preferring 8 ball to rotation games. That and obviously he's got a massive sponsorship for chinese 8-ball. :) So good for him, I say.
Plus the Chinese players probably don't give him too much s^*t about his bizarre haircuts.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the interest level in America for Chinese 8 ball? Anybody out there thinking about buying a table? I'm considering importing a few Joy tables if there are any buyers out there...

All these things are possible

--American football is a slightly better game on 110-yard long fields
--tennis is a slightly better games on 82-foot courts (rather than 78)
--trains operation would be slightly better with 4'7" gauge track rather than 4'8"
--pool would be a slightly better game with some new and different tables

All of these involve major infrastructure overhauls. And the industry making the change would be making a long-term investment that would cost dearly in the short haul. In each case, the change had better be worth it in the long haul. And the industry had better be sufficiently healthy and flush with money now to fade the short haul.

Whether it is 10-foot tables or Chinese 8-Ball tables or whatever, it is not enough that xxxtoppro got one to practice on or YYYtoppro likes them... If we are going to advocate the change as an industry, we have to be prepared for pool-rooms feeling they had better swap out expensive equipment for fear of being outmoded. The money to make these changes comes from somewhere, and at least in the short haul, it is the money currently spent on cues and equipment, tournament added $$, entry fees for events, travel expenses, league dues. That is the $$--and a lot of it--that would need to be funneled toward this major infrastructure change.

It is much much cheaper to futz with the game rules than it is to futz with the equipment if, say, a particular game is too easy at the top level. I'm not opposed to considering the value of long-term changes, and I have no opinion on what is good or not good about Chinese 8-Ball in particular. But I think we should be careful to not be seduced by shiny things when it comes to major changes like this.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He did replace the Diamond in his room with a Chinese 8 ball table. Or at least moved the Diamond to another spot. I talked to him about it since he was away from the room a lot lately to see if I could use it with my son but he did not want to have others use it, at least at the time.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A lot of people I know are interested in the game, but I am pretty sure that not many will actually play it often, and I doubt there will be anyone trying to run tournaments on them aside form qualifiers to play in China.

I saw that there was some Chinese 8 ball event that has a 150,000 USD first prize. Not just the total prize pool, just for first place. Of-course all of those events are sponsored by the table manufacturers, so they are getting people to buy tables to practice on to get the money for the events which make people buy tables to practice on to play in those events that sell the tables so people can practice on them to to play in the events that use those tables that are funded by the tables they sell.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Since pool is a collection of games and I like to play them all, I have no interest in seeing or playing Chinese 8 ball, which is a one trick pony.