One pocket dvd

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am thinking of giving one pocket a try. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Varner drills dvd and what did you think.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
There is a couple...

There is a couple on my web site, one by Incardona, 3 by Grady, and one set by Cliff Joyner. I am the only one with the Cliff DVDs. They are out of publication. So much so that I am thinking about raising the price. Look 'em over on www.bankingwiththebeard.com/dvds.html

the Beard

1pktfool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen Varner's DVD, but from those I am familiar with, Grady's one pocket DVDs have been the most instructional. I'd highly recommend checking them out. If you're serious about one pocket, you should also check out onepocket.org. It's a wealth of knowledge, especially for the beginning player.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
Just do what I did. Find some old men in a pool room and ask to play one hole with them. Then work your way up the ladder. The best way to learn is to have someone put you in those traps and to watch what they do when you put them there.

One pocket is making a comeback!

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Those beard DVDs will probably help. I haven't seen the varner one yet but I saw Billy I's 1 pocket DVD and it seemed pretty good. Honestly the best thing you can do for 1P when you're away from the table is watch real matches with efren or other top players. See their response to real game situations. Pause before they shoot and try to guess what they are gonna do, then see if you were right. If you weren't, see if you can come up with a reason why their choice was better. If you can't, post the situation on here.

It really is a game of choices, and if you can make the same choices as the pros, you'll get pretty good at it even if you can't shoot as straight as they do.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
I have the "Varner" safeties set as well as another one, and Varner has nothing to do with them other than being the face on the cover. If you're looking for 1P instruction, look elsewhere. I also have all of the other 1P videos mentioned in this thread, and they are all very dated. My favorite for 1P is actually a lesser known video from Alen Hopkins called Secrets of a Champion - One Pocket.
Mr H