Pool Table Mechanic Hack Job on Military Base in Hampton Roads VA

Katipunan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just amazing how table mechanic hacks take advantage of our military when paid to re-cushion, re-cover their tables at their recreational center on base. I just don’t understand. Two GC III were worked on the past month and another Brunswick Century installed within the past year, discrepancies are as follows:
1. One GC table had all rail bolts loose with about three threads holding it on per rail bolt and the other GC table were hand tight. Basically, the only thing holding the rails in place were the castings.
2. All pocket hex bolts for both tables were loose.
3. End rail with the counter was installed on the opposite side of the ball box.
4. Rail bolts missing.
5. Table not level.
6 Slate bed not cleaned prior to installing cloth. You can feel the dirt left over underneath cloth.
7. Century slate seam uneven. You can see and feel the seam from the top of the cloth.
8. Pockets for Brunswick Century was nailed to the rail vice installing the correct pockets.
9. Frame exposed on GC pocket, instead of centering slates.
10. Pocket casting on GC missing bolt(s).
11 One GC sitting too low.
12. No spots were installed. I brought a couple to stick on.
Instead of taking advantage of our Military service, why not dedicate more on giving them the best. We are able to sleep peacefully in our beds at night because of our military. I just don’t understand. Maybe to some it is just a matter of making money, just another hustle. This establishment that did the work has been in business for a long long time.
Now I understand why RKC is pissed off all the time.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just amazing how table mechanic hacks take advantage of our military when paid to re-cushion, re-cover their tables at their recreational center on base. I just don’t understand. Two GC III were worked on the past month and another Brunswick Century installed within the past year, discrepancies are as follows:
1. One GC table had all rail bolts loose with about three threads holding it on per rail bolt and the other GC table were hand tight. Basically, the only thing holding the rails in place were the castings.
3. End rail with the counter was installed on the opposite side of the ball box.
4. Rail bolts missing.
5. Table not level.
6 Slate bed not cleaned prior to installing cloth. You can feel the dirt left over underneath cloth.
7. Century slate seam uneven. You can see and feel the seam from the top of the cloth.
8. Pockets for Brunswick Century was nailed to the rail vice installing the correct pockets.
Instead of taking advantage of our Military service, why not dedicate more on giving them the best. We are able to sleep peacefully in our beds at night because of our military. I just don’t understand. Maybe to some it is just a matter of making money, just another hustle. This establishment that did the work has been in business for a long long time.

They probably got what little they paid for, and still probably waiting on the check from Uncle Sam.
:rolleyes:

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand as my home room is about the same. They keep using the same hacks and getting the same results (terrible). I watched them recover 6 of the 8 footers and never once did I see a level come out of their bag. Problems is the room owners are not pool players, they are in it for the business (money), so they don't care it seems. They run a lot of leagues so the money rolls in, even with bad equipment. They recently recovered the 9 foot tables (which is where I play), and they are about as level as my dog's hind legs. I, along with several others have complained more than a few times, and finally we just gave up as the owners just got an attitude.

I would go somewhere else if there were something close, but there isn't. I think the problem is most of their competition in the area has closed, and those that haven't, have far worse equipment, and the owners know it.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most table techs are hacks. The people that hire them do not know who they are employing or have any idea of what they are getting until the job is done and paid for. I get
this in our community clubhouse. We can afford to pay the going rate for a professional job..... It's usually a Hose Job instead of a Pro Job. Last time we use the local Billiard supply business in our area. The tech comes recommended. We got a real rush job...a million staples under the pockets...now all of the balls are chipped. If anyone in South Florida is searching for a tech kindly PM me so I can flame this company.

Nccm

Registered
4. Rail bolts missing.
5. Table not level.

I feel your pain brother. I would speak with the Manager of the club or The MWR civilian manager and have them call the mechanic to come back and fix it. It's unsat our guys have to play on that shit and people get away with it.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in over 24 years played on a lot of bases. I never saw anybody in charge of the pool tables who knew the difference between a Foosball table or a pool table. All of them were like the man who ran the university billiard room Eddie Felson worked at in the color of Money book uninterested and clueless.

One lady worked the billiard room at Camp Pendleton when it was a real billiard room for at least 15-20 years.. Room had at least 20 GC tables and a snooker table I first saw her in 1988 last time around 2003 she didn't know anymore about pool than when she stared.

Camp Pendleton until it removed most of the tables to make room for arcade games and 32nd street naval station had the nicest military base billiard rooms.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maintaining tables isn't an art. Not that hard to make a table playable, it isn't a motor.

But doing it right, or fixing what those before you have wronged...or making it better than new, there's your art.

Katipunan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great tables, just poor set up

Management is the problem, they have been letting the mechanic(s) get away with this for years at least since 2006 when I got here. They have used the services of the same mechanic expecting the same results no matter what we tell them. Managements excuse is that they could not find any other place that will accept government credit card. There is some improvement on how the tables were from the past, at least now the two GCs have the correct pockets vice having bar box pockets that were nailed to the rails after explaining over and over what it should be. We do have some good players on base (some young ones and a few old timers), our game of choice are nine, ten ball and one pocket… some occasional 61 rotation at times.

emptypockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Convince the MWR Director or Club Manager to contact Eric @ EFM Pool Table Recovery/Repair in Virginia Beach - (757) 619-5252. Eric recovers the tables at Q-Masters Billiards.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
They probably got what little they paid for, and still probably waiting on the check from Uncle Sam.
:rolleyes:

Probably just the opposite... As in everything military.. the money spent is outrageous.

The military probably paid the mechanic an outrageous amount for doing a sloppy job.
(Just to clarify the quote referred to in post #7)

Last edited:

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was stationed in Germany we got lucky. They used a PFC whose father had owned a pool room in Ga. where we shipped out from. He was knowledgeable and meticulous. This was long before pool became popular over there. Special Services was elated as they had been taking heat about the tables for a long time.

Amazing that in this day and age that there are people who are comfortable in ripping off our service members.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm guessing there's a little corruption going on here.

A community center in my town needed their table done....a man who has something to
do with it contacted me.
So I'm thinking...do my part for society....I got a billiard mechanic to offer his services for
nothing (and he was supplying a used tournament cloth..Simonis 860)....
...they needed some decent house cues, I agreed to donate a dozen.

My friend got back to me....they turned it down.....:eek:
He did a little digging and was astounded to find they had spent $700 for a bottom-line
cloth and some cheap cues with screw-on ferrules.

I told him I knew what happened....who ever did the deal for the Center was getting a
kickback.

Baksheesh might have started in the Middle East....but it's world wide now.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I'm thinking...do my part for society....

You tried...however the ones that might need it in the future will get screwed because you'll be reluctant to offer again. I would be hesitant.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Convince the MWR Director or Club Manager to contact Eric @ EFM Pool Table Recovery/Repair in Virginia Beach - (757) 619-5252. Eric recovers the tables at Q-Masters Billiards.

Then I'd pass on recommending him, as I pulled 4 gold crowns out to go into storage and replaced them with Diamond's.....all I can say is, I feel sorry for who ever bought the tables out of storage!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I understand as my home room is about the same. They keep using the same hacks and getting the same results (terrible). I watched them recover 6 of the 8 footers and never once did I see a level come out of their bag. Problems is the room owners are not pool players, they are in it for the business (money), so they don't care it seems. They run a lot of leagues so the money rolls in, even with bad equipment. They recently recovered the 9 foot tables (which is where I play), and they are about as level as my dog's hind legs. I, along with several others have complained more than a few times, and finally we just gave up as the owners just got an attitude.

I would go somewhere else if there were something close, but there isn't. I think the problem is most of their competition in the area has closed, and those that haven't, have far worse equipment, and the owners know it.

I'll be settled down and living in Waco by this summer;)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Then I'd pass on recommending him, as I pulled 4 gold crowns out to go into storage and replaced them with Diamond's.....all I can say is, I feel sorry for who ever bought the tables out of storage!!!

The frames didn't look like this one?:D
12047176_892637154124944_2176443196314824105_n.jpg

What are you doing with all that boards hidden under ?
Build a house ?