Ruth Cranfield, Beloved Wife of the "Babe"

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I just heard from my good friend, Larry Moy, that Ruth Cranfield, beloved wife of the late Babe Cranfield, passed away at the age of 97.

A lovely and remarkable woman, she supported Babe through his entire pool and professional careers, with hobbies of her own. Having bent over the cloth with Babe many times, and visited them both in the past, Ruth's favorite things included reminiscing over photo albums of her and Babe.

Babe Cranfield ran hundreds every time I saw him in the 70s and 80s. Ruth almost ran 100, just a few short.

Deepest condolences to the Cranfield family.

All the best,
WW

G&M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for this post, Hoot!

Ruth was a lovely and gracious person who gave so much to her family. Ruth was also an important figure in her community. As one example, she was extremely dedicated to the kids in the bowling leagues that she managed for so many years.

Ruth had to put up with a lot being married to someone who played pool professionally, but she was proud of Babe's accomplishments. I remember how happy she was while Babe was being inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame. She even joined him up at the podium during his acceptance speech, at first to get him his reading glasses ... but it ended up with Ruth making her own remarks and getting as many laughs from the crowd as Babe did.

Babe also told me the story about when he had lost to Luther Lassiter in the 1964 World Championship. Ruth said to Babe that she had never seen him so upbeat after a loss, but Babe said he knew that if he got Luther into a longer game he could take him down, which he did that same year in a 1,200-point block match, earning the World title.

Ruth also played a part in Babe's decision to stop touring for Brunswick Billiards. Babe started touring for Brunswick as a young, single man, and he criss-crossed the U.S. putting on exhibitions and playing matches. After he was married, Ruth would sometimes join him, but, according to Babe, some of the poolrooms were so rough he would not have Ruth set foot in the room. Instead, she would wait in the car for Babe to finish putting on his show, sometimes in cold weather. Although Ruth did not complain, Babe was not happy about Ruth having to endure times like that, and he quit the road. Later on, Babe came back to pool to play in tournaments, including the World Championships, but his touring days were over. Instead, he gave exhibitions closer to home.

Ruth was extremely nice to me from the beginning. Babe and Ruth insisted that I stay at their home when I visited for a lesson. it was incredible to get a home-cooked meal when you were away at school at 19 or 20 years old with not much money ... and, before that, to have had the chance to have Babe take you to the poolroom to work on your game. It was a dream, really. When it was cold out, Ruth would sometimes grill indoors, using the fireplace, which I had never seen done before, but it worked like a charm! Years later, when I came to the house with my own family, she and my wife got along right off the bat, and Ruth treated our kids like her own grandkids. Babe was the same, taking the kids to the back of the house to throw peanuts to the squirrels he fed all winter.

It's difficult to think of Ruth passing, but she is at peace now and with Babe. Thank you for everything, Ruth. You will be missed.

Larry Moy

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Condolences to the family. Nice to hear how active she was in her community, especially helping people with their bowling games.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap tap tap....

Ruth was a lovely and gracious person who gave so much to her family. Ruth was also an important figure in her community. As one example, she was extremely dedicated to the kids in the bowling leagues that she managed for so many years.

Ruth had to put up with a lot being married to someone who played pool professionally, but she was proud of Babe's accomplishments. I remember how happy she was while Babe was being inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame. She even joined him up at the podium during his acceptance speech, at first to get him his reading glasses ... but it ended up with Ruth making her own remarks and getting as many laughs from the crowd as Babe did.

Babe also told me the story about when he had lost to Luther Lassiter in the 1964 World Championship. Ruth said to Babe that she had never seen him so upbeat after a loss, but Babe said he knew that if he got Luther into a longer game he could take him down, which he did that same year in a 1,200-point block match, earning the World title.

Ruth also played a part in Babe's decision to stop touring for Brunswick Billiards. Babe started touring for Brunswick as a young, single man, and he criss-crossed the U.S. putting on exhibitions and playing matches. After he was married, Ruth would sometimes join him, but, according to Babe, some of the poolrooms were so rough he would not have Ruth set foot in the room. Instead, she would wait in the car for Babe to finish putting on his show, sometimes in cold weather. Although Ruth did not complain, Babe was not happy about Ruth having to endure times like that, and he quit the road. Later on, Babe came back to pool to play in tournaments, including the World Championships, but his touring days were over. Instead, he gave exhibitions closer to home.

Ruth was extremely nice to me from the beginning. Babe and Ruth insisted that I stay at their home when I visited for a lesson. it was incredible to get a home-cooked meal when you were away at school at 19 or 20 years old with not much money ... and, before that, to have had the chance to have Babe take you to the poolroom to work on your game. It was a dream, really. When it was cold out, Ruth would sometimes grill indoors, using the fireplace, which I had never seen done before, but it worked like a charm! Years later, when I came to the house with my own family, she and my wife got along right off the bat, and Ruth treated our kids like her own grandkids. Babe was the same, taking the kids to the back of the house to throw peanuts to the squirrels he fed all winter.

It's difficult to think of Ruth passing, but she is at peace now and with Babe. Thank you for everything, Ruth. You will be missed.

Larry Moy

Wow, Larry. What a touching and beautiful tribute. I am so sorry for your loss, and yet happy for you to have had such a special relationship. Thank you for sharing.

TD

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Larry Moy

Wonderful tribute to a fine player and a great man!

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Larry Moy

Beautiful story, Larry. I can see it all unfolding in front of me. Thanks...

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

Larry Moy

thank you for sharing your wonderful memories and very sorry for the loss of your dear friend, Ruth.

RIP Ruth Cranfield.

best,
brian kc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I met "The Babe" through Dick Capotto and Matty Sindoni...he was in his 80s at the time..
....I was honored to have shaken hands with him.
Ruth was married to this Hall of Famer....but Arthur was married to a Hall of Famer also...
...Ruth is in the Syracuse Women's Bowling HOF....and she did much for charity.

IMG_3579.JPG

Ruth and Arthur have sons, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren enriching the gene pool...
...I really wish I had met Ruth also.
rest in peace