The story behind the Jackot cues

Status
Not open for further replies.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I think Dean bought a gold membership a few months ago after David(CuesDirectly) kept giving him a hard time about it. The gold showed on Dean's account for a little bit but reverted to silver, maybe he just bought a month, but if I had to guess he bought a year and it just reverted back to silver and Dean doesn't know how to change it back.

I don't think Dean bought the Gold membership at all. I think David from Cues Directly bought it for him to send a message. David gets business from AZ and has respect for it.

I buy gold because it is the very least I can do, plus I'm too lazy to clean out my mailbox. I don't expect anything from it, I would like to see this site do well financially. I've been a member from early on. I have seen numerous people come on here and treat the members like rubes and I detest it.

Can't Dean be at least blocked from the wanted/for sale section for a period of time? He flat lied about these cues.

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Why would anybody sell a cue that plays this good?

i was offered $700 for mine and turned it down because of the play

mine plays better for me than some cues i sold for 5 figures

i don't know if mine is an outlier, it is what it is

tremendous 4+ oz old,shafts, probably tapered by Jack...Jack is very good at tapering shafts to my liking (good guy who i've known for 30 yrs)

respectfully submitted, adam

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was offered $700 for mine and turned it down because of the play

mine plays better for me than some cues i sold for 5 figures

i don't know if mine is an outlier, it is what it is

tremendous 4+ oz old,shafts, probably tapered by Jack...Jack is very good at tapering shafts to my liking (good guy who i've known for 30 yrs)

respectfully submitted, adam

I'm confused now.
Does this Jack Potter work for Schemelke or did he just tweak the shafts after Schmelke finished making them?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet you'd be singing a different song if you found out your jerry r or schon was actually not.

Or would you have been ok with paying 1500 for a 500 $ cue coz sellers a good guy?

Boy, this Forum is turning into a bucket of blood joint.

Dean has been promoting pool, the game we all love
or supposedly so, with passion, sincerity and at times,
even a sense of flair. I participated in 2 Schon Tribute
cue projects, the Bushka I and Bushka II projects with
Jerry R. and Bob Owen, and the Design Your Own Cue
project also with Bob. Speaking personally, each project
was entirely fun, exciting and all of the pool cues turned
out wonderful. I’d do it again in a heartbeat but for the
ivory ban but that’s a horse of an entirely different color.

Dean has also ingenuously come up with the Mystery Cue
offerings and to the best of my recollection, the buyers seem
to be pleased. I don’t see complaints about the cues that the
buyers received. Additionally, there weren’t issues with the many
tribute cue projects either and the buyers were all pleased. I know
that I am thrilled, even actually proud of the pool cues I still have.

Dean came forth & offered an explanation furnishing the background
behind these Jackpot SP cues and for the price, no one is making a
bundle nor getting screwed. Furthermore, the sale proceeds were for
a significantly important, urgent need. So now people with lots of time
on their hands and little better to do want to criticize a really decent
guy all the while Dean’s many former customers remain silent and
unsupportive. Well, not this one & I enjoy reading his threads & posts.

As far as I’m concerned, the Az community is better off because of people
like Dean Campbell and his long history & vast experience with pool, cues,
cue-makers, leather craftsmen, pool table restoration.....the list seems endless.

Matt B.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Way to go Cocobolo Cowboy.......I overlooked your post and it is great to see one of Dean’s customers
stand tall against the mob reactions. To each their own but ad hominem attacks are juvenile & verboten.

How about the fact that people see the rainbows you post about and thought they were going to have a similar transaction.

As cacabolo would say: that's a whole different bong for their bucks.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or would you have been ok with paying 1500 for a 500 $ cue coz sellers a good guy?

There is no such thing as a $1500 cue, unless it is made of something exotic or rare.

Let's talk actual materials and say we buy the best quality available at wholesale prices for buying in quantity..

How much does it cost for the wood in a cue?

How much does it cost for a pin?

A bumper?

The materials for joint collars and butt cap?

The tip?

The ferrule?

I'd say the MAJORITY of SIMPLE cues are made with less than $150 in ACTUAL materials, so what makes up the difference in pricing between makers?

I'm talking simple cues now, not cues with exotic inlays, fancy carvings, etching, etc.

It is the NAME of the maker. The longer they have been making them and the more popular they become, the BIGGER their NAME gets.

For SIMPLE cues, do they make a BETTER cue at their 10 year point or their 40 year point? For example, would my 30 year old XXX cue play as well as my 5 year old cue, made by the same maker?

As long as all the materials are THE SAME quality and the construction is quality, the only difference in the price is the NAME of the maker.

I have a Murray Tucker Sneaky Pete that was one of the first five cues he ever made. It was converted from a blank that he didn't make. I have talked to Murray and can produce the emails where he told me that he still uses the same tapers and that my OLD cue would play the SAME as his newer ones.

So, that would tell me that a guy who makes QUALITY cues earlier in his career and then makes the SAME cue 20 years later justifies the significant price increase because of the enhanced NAME recognition. The wood quality, build time, and the construction would be the same. Actually, the build time would probably be faster later on because the maker would gravitate to a more "computerized" method of running their machines.

I had Richard Black make me two cues right after he first started. It would now cost me 10 times more for him to make me the same cues, but he doesn't touch cues in that price range now. He has a guy he trained make them, yet they still are sold as "Richard Black". Are they better or worse than the cues that RICHARD, himself, made for me back then?

I buy cues that play good and use them for playing. I don't "deal" in cues and buy them as an investment. Spending a few bucks for a good playing cue shouldn't bother anybody. If you are worried about "reselling" your cues (unless you are a dealer), then maybe you don't have enough money in the bank to be buying cues all the time. Maybe you should have a better investment counselor. I've thrown more money on the roll of a dice than what these cues sell for. So, what's the problem?

Dean offered anyone their money back if they didn't like their cue. If I buy a cue from any other person here on the sale forum, are you going to offer the same deal? If not, why not?

I bought a brand new car several years ago and drove it for a month and didn't like the way something was, so I took it back. They checked it out and said everything was the way it was supposed to be and that it passed all the "tests". I said, "your sign here says 30 days return, no questions asked." I drove off in another brand new car and they resold my original one as "used" because I had already put miles on it and licensed it in my name.

A few years later, I bought another brand new car at the same place. When they asked me which one I wanted to try out, I pointed to a Gold one sitting up front. The dealer said, "Hold on, I'll go get the keys and let you try it". I said, "I don't need to try it. If I don't like it, I'll bring it back. Let's go sign the paperwork." I drove off in that car and am still driving it and it has over 150,000 miles on it.

So, if anybody didn't like their cue they should have sent it back to Dean and got their money back.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
This is about the Jackpot affair, not his iTrader record or his pending sainthood. He started it, it would be rude not to finish it.

It's very simple, he was deliberately deceptive. No, I didn't buy a Jackpot or any other cue but I don't buy the notion that because I didn't I should have no opinion. I will admit I have no vested interest, those that fell for the ruse either are or pretend to be happy. I don't think I'd be comfortable no matter how sweet it played after understanding what went on. Oh but there's a money back guarantee so I guess anything goes?

So there we have it, as I've said before my only issue is the dishonesty. I'm surprised that part of it isn't a factor for so many.

Sent from the future.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm confused now.
Does this Jack Potter work for Schemelke or did he just tweak the shafts after Schmelke finished making them?

None of the above. From what we can tell (if anything at all can be believed by Dean), Jack gave some initial input into the taper he likes on a shaft. But the essence of the project was to have a cue built using Jack Potter's name, and it's connection to Libra, as a marketing tool.

But his story has now changed again to more of the finish work and testing. His story changes and changes. I would like to get Schmelke and Potter on here to tell the truth.

Dean is an example of why lawyers don't want their customers to open their yap. Everytime they do the hole gets deeper.

Would you buy a Balabushka from this man?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
I'm confused now.

sorry I was so vague, i'll ask Jack exactly what he did to my cue next time i speak with him and get back to you

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of the above. From what we can tell (if anything at all can be believed by Dean), Jack gave some initial input into the taper he likes on a shaft. But the essence of the project was to have a cue built using Jack Potter's name, and it's connection to Libra, as a marketing tool.

But his story has now changed again to more of the finish work and testing. His story changes and changes. I would like to get Schmelke and Potter on here to tell the truth.

Dean is an example of why lawyers don't want their customers to open their yap. Everytime they do the hole gets deeper.

I would if it had George Balabuska signature on the forearm.
Then I would know for sure that it was a reproduction cue.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if we concede that not one buyer was unhappy and every buyer could could get a refund and a bag of toffee nuts, you still sold a product that was grossly inflated, ability to do so, maybe because of your reputation.

dear tate,

would you mind naming a buyer who was mistreated.
funny,but not one of them hassaid a word

Why don'tyou give us this poor mistreated custoers name and then maybe we won't know that you are just trying to riun Deano down to make your poor pitiful self look like he is a great guy,

Go ahead tell us I give good service therefore buy from me, Deano does this that and the other

1 fact please with a witness who actually bought something

Sure people don't always like what they bought so I return the money.
no one doubts that

I might leave it open foranother ill founded blow hard remark

Want to bet I am not getting encouragu=ing calls and PMS

telling me not to let you losers get me down

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hell no! He can't even remember what customer purchased what cue. Don Sherman purchased a Tascarella, but Dean accidentally shipped him a Jackpot. Then he said he "couldn't remember which wrong person he shipped it to, but hoped they would return it."

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
Hell no! He can't even remember what customer purchased what cue. I can't remember if it was a Tascarella or another big name...but he said he "couldn't remember which wrong person he shipped it to, but hoped they would return it."

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I always thought that was a ploy to sell more cues. Buyers would think they have a chance to get a free upgrade by accident. Dean’s a very goo salesman!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the first couple lines...it the rest a joke?

How can you straightfaced type all those words in support of there being no such thing as a 1500$ cue? Is that what you have to tell yourself? I bet I can prove some cues are worth that and more.

Did you pay $500 for each one you got?

Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Jack Potter one of the two great cue makers of the Libra cues
that played so good and are now so hard to find, Has done it again

He made a dozen cues for me to sell to Az members for only $500
each....

There is no such thing as a $1500 cue, unless it is made of something exotic or rare.

Let's talk actual materials and say we buy the best quality available at wholesale prices for buying in quantity..

How much does it cost for the wood in a cue?

How much does it cost for a pin?

A bumper?

The materials for joint collars and butt cap?

The tip?

The ferrule?

I'd say the MAJORITY of SIMPLE cues are made with less than $150 in ACTUAL materials, so what makes up the difference in pricing between makers?

I'm talking simple cues now, not cues with exotic inlays, fancy carvings, etching, etc.

It is the NAME of the maker. The longer they have been making them and the more popular they become, the BIGGER their NAME gets.

For SIMPLE cues, do they make a BETTER cue at their 10 year point or their 40 year point? For example, would my 30 year old XXX cue play as well as my 5 year old cue, made by the same maker?

As long as all the materials are THE SAME quality and the construction is quality, the only difference in the price is the NAME of the maker.

I have a Murray Tucker Sneaky Pete that was one of the first five cues he ever made. It was converted from a blank that he didn't make. I have talked to Murray and can produce the emails where he told me that he still uses the same tapers and that my OLD cue would play the SAME as his newer ones.

So, that would tell me that a guy who makes QUALITY cues earlier in his career and then makes the SAME cue 20 years later justifies the significant price increase because of the enhanced NAME recognition. The wood quality, build time, and the construction would be the same. Actually, the build time would probably be faster later on because the maker would gravitate to a more "computerized" method of running their machines.

I had Richard Black make me two cues right after he first started. It would now cost me 10 times more for him to make me the same cues, but he doesn't touch cues in that price range now. He has a guy he trained make them, yet they still are sold as "Richard Black". Are they better or worse than the cues that RICHARD, himself, made for me back then?

I buy cues that play good and use them for playing. I don't "deal" in cues and buy them as an investment. Spending a few bucks for a good playing cue shouldn't bother anybody. If you are worried about "reselling" your cues (unless you are a dealer), then maybe you don't have enough money in the bank to be buying cues all the time. Maybe you should have a better investment counselor. I've thrown more money on the roll of a dice than what these cues sell for. So, what's the problem?

Dean offered anyone their money back if they didn't like their cue. If I buy a cue from any other person here on the sale forum, are you going to offer the same deal? If not, why not?

I bought a brand new car several years ago and drove it for a month and didn't like the way something was, so I took it back. They checked it out and said everything was the way it was supposed to be and that it passed all the "tests". I said, "your sign here says 30 days return, no questions asked." I drove off in another brand new car and they resold my original one as "used" because I had already put miles on it and licensed it in my name.

A few years later, I bought another brand new car at the same place. When they asked me which one I wanted to try out, I pointed to a Gold one sitting up front. The dealer said, "Hold on, I'll go get the keys and let you try it". I said, "I don't need to try it. If I don't like it, I'll bring it back. Let's go sign the paperwork." I drove off in that car and am still driving it and it has over 150,000 miles on it.

So, if anybody didn't like their cue they should have sent it back to Dean and got their money back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.