Mezz Cue ZZ-36

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry to hijack the thread for a little bit

how heavy does everyone's mezz weighs? i got myself a used mezz sneaky and it feels heavier but there isn't any weight bolt to remove.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry to hijack the thread for a little bit

how heavy does everyone's mezz weighs? i got myself a used mezz sneaky and it feels heavier but there isn't any weight bolt to remove.

Mine is 18.5 oz and it actually feels lighter.

r/DCP

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is 18.5 oz and it actually feels lighter.

r/DCP

Thank you. 18.5 is a nice weight.

Mine is 19.7oz, i measured on a kitchen scale. I thought that Mezz butts should weigh the same without the weight bolts..I guess now they are not.

Interestingly I couldn't get much draw action from the CB with this cue. maybe its my stroke but i was able consistently get more juice from the CB from another cue that weighs 18.8oz with lesser effort..

anyway enough of my mindless ramble, thanks for your reply and enjoy your new cue~!

:)

blehnhard

Registered
Mine is 19 oz. Have had for about 4 months. Replaced McDermott G core 19 oz. Very happy. No issues with draw performance. W700 shaft.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just ordered the regular hard maple shaft that is NOT of the LD type. I'll be heading to Owensboro probably in the next couple of weeks and I'll get Chad Carter to put a pressed Elkmaster tip on both my Mezz shafts. Then it will be a very nice cue, with that regular hard maple shaft vice the LD shaft.

r/DCP

BigFish23

Registered
Mine was supposed to be 19oz, but I weighed it at 18.4.

Two thumbs up for Mezz construction and wood selection. Very nice cue. I agree with others that the linen is slick. I was going to treat my ZZ32 with something like wax paper, as suggested in this post: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=220594

I ended up returning it because I couldn't get used to the WX700 taper. I'm now considering an AXI with a HP2 or ExPro.

On another note, I returned my BK Rush for a Mezz Kai. So, at least I have one Mezz in my bag.

DrewRgnr

Registered
Hey guys, so I'm in between stay with Mezz ZZ-36 or upgrade to Schon STL9, they have a simillar wood base but the ZZ-36 has a cocobolo wood on it. I've never try Schon cue, some say the schon feel denser which I love for my playing cue. Is there any difference? And is it worth to upgrade? Thanks
images (73).jpeg
images (80).jpeg

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, so I'm in between stay with Mezz ZZ-36 or upgrade to Schon STL9, they have a simillar wood base but the ZZ-36 has a cocobolo wood on it. I've never try Schon cue, some say the schon feel denser which I love for my playing cue. Is there any difference? And is it worth to upgrade? ThanksView attachment 587436View attachment 587437

Yes there is a difference, if you think it's better/same/worse would be up to you after you try it. There is no way to know what you will like based on what other people like. Hit feel depends on the tip and shaft as much as anything, and there are dozens of those you can try out as well, so the only true answer for you to pick what you may think is an "upgrade" is to test out 30 different things, other than that it's all a guess.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/mezz/ZZ36.html

I am thinking about buying this cue. Is it a good reflection of your typical Mezz cue? People have said Mezz might be one of the top production cues out there nowadays, along with Schon.

Will this cue give me a good idea of how Mezz Cues play? Or should i be looking elsewhere?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. And for those that always do this - go ahead and make your smart-aleck comments.

r/DCP
Retails at $790 and sale price at $790. It doesn’t sound like much of a sale. You might check the Mezzusa website. Sometimes they have sale prices below retail for certain discontinued models - some of which might be available with the same WX700 shaft.

I would strongly recommend upgrading to the WX900 12mm shaft, which has significantly less deflection than the WX700 but feels way more solid than any of the Predator Z series shafts.

Last edited:

Scrunge19

Registered
I’d check the J&J Cues website to see if they stock that cue there. I’ve bought cues from mezz USA and J&J and J&J will be my first choice moving forward. Mezzusa was fine, but Brian over at J&J is great to deal with.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I’ve read Eric Crisp say that Mezz is the absolute best “production” cue out there. He may know a thing or two about cues :smilewinkgrin:
That he says, also for Eric to comment on how nice their shaft wood was and hit means a ton! BTW thats is ( Sugartree Cues ) I have had two Mezz and they were great! Plan on another or an exceed one day, also have one plenty of their shafts. The cues hit well and are well constructed. Move the cue ball effortless. They are a stiffer hitting cue, witch I prefer, and have a nice tone one contact of the cue ball.