How Did Efren Make This Shot?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/65ecd.png

I was watching an Accu-Stats video a couple of nights ago of a match between Efren and Earl back around 1995. Billy Incardona and Jeanette Lee were doing the commentating.

In the latter part of the match Efren made this shot. Billy and Jeanette said something about he hit it with low which put follow on the 1B.

Can anybody explain in further detail how he made the 1B in the corner pocket?

r/DCP

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/65ecd.png

I was watching an Accu-Stats video a couple of nights ago of a match between Efren and Earl back around 1995. Billy Incardona and Jeanette Lee were doing the commentating.

In the latter part of the match Efren made this shot. Billy and Jeanette said something about he hit it with low which put follow on the 1B.

Can anybody explain in further detail how he made the 1B in the corner pocket?

r/DCP
If you want to learn to aim shots like this, check out the "ten times fuller" video in Dr. Dave's YouTube channel. The system is also in one of Bob Byrne's books.

A small detail: draw on the cue ball is not required but it help move the object ball through more.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you want to learn to aim shots like this, check out the "ten times fuller" video in Dr. Dave's YouTube channel. The system is also in one of Bob Byrne's books.

A small detail: draw on the cue ball is not required but it help move the object ball through more.
The technique Bob's describing usually comes up in reference to ball-in-hand spot shots with 2 spotted (frozen) object balls. The idea is to aim the cue ball straight through the head ball at the spot on the end rail that's 1/10 the distance from the center diamond to the target pocket, and shoot it with draw to make it in that pocket.

Here's how that looks for that shot and this one.

pj
chgo

10 times fuller.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The technique Bob's describing usually comes up in reference to ball-in-hand spot shots with 2 spotted (frozen) object balls. The idea is to aim the cue ball straight through the head ball at the spot on the end rail that's 1/10 the distance from the center diamond to the target pocket, and shoot it with draw to make it in that pocket.

Here's how that looks for this shot.

pj
chgo

View attachment 557001
In that exact position, I think the shot will kiss out. There is not enough time for the 1 to move sideways before the 6 comes back.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
In that exact position, I think the shot will kiss out. There is not enough time for the 1 to move sideways before the 6 comes back.
Looks likely, alright. I imagine the 1-6 would have to be at least a diamond from the rail to avoid the kiss.

There's plenty of room with the spot shot, though. I've added that shot to the diagram above.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to try and experiment with this shot today, see what happens. After I get back from the Amish restaurant and having my late lunch.

r/DCP

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...draw on the cue ball is not required but it help move the object ball through more.
What effect does cut angle have on the shot? How far off straight on can the CB hit the OB and still make the shot? Seems the shot would be less likely the more cut angle there is.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What effect does cut angle have on the shot? How far off straight on can the CB hit the OB and still make the shot? Seems the shot would be less likely the more cut angle there is.

pj
chgo
The cue ball can be quite far off the line of the two balls. Wade Crane wrote about shooting the double spot shot from the wrong side of the table and with follow. Mike Massey showed me one time that the object ball can be forced a little through the backer/blocker from 60 degrees off the line of the frozen balls with a relatively thin hit on the object ball (which sends it fairly full into the blocker).

I don't know if it is one of his books, but Bob Byrne related a "sharp practice" that Fred Whalen showed him. Fred was the promoter of the big Los Angeles (Burbank) tournaments in the 1960s-70s:

You are playing one pocket. That involves a lot of spotting balls for fouls and balls pocketed in wrong pockets and such. Suppose you have two balls spotted and frozen already. You make a ball in an extraneous pocket and it has to spot up. You freeze it nicely to the back ball of the pair, but you don't put it exactly in line on the foot string. Instead, you place it slightly towards your opponent's pocket. How much? Try and see.

Your opponent might even notice the misalignment and think that will help him eventually to move the back ball to his side of the table, and he might say nothing.

If you hit the front ball from nearly anywhere up table, the middle of the three object balls will get squoze (that's the technical term:wink:) towards your pocket.

The front ball doesn't have to be frozen to the middle ball. The important frozen spot is between the ball that is to be squoze forward and the ball that blocks it.