Sliding the cue along your chest as a guide?

cuekev

Thread killer
Silver Member
Does anyone else out there do this? I have been experimenting with it lately. I have my chin almost on the cue and cradle the cue in my fingers with no thumb contact. The cue slides along my chest during the entire stroke.

My stroke when doing this seems to be very straight. I don't twist my wrist or try to steer around my chest.

After trying this yesterday I watched a match that I had taped between Allison and Jeanette. They both seem to use their bodies as a guide when they are going thru their practice strokes. Allison's seems to stay in constant contact. When Jeanette was missing shots, I could see her cue come away from her body 1 or 2 inches and the tip would then swing to the left.

Thanks,

Kevin

turbo

ducks and highfives
Silver Member
boobs might have sumthin to do w this.

they have sumthin to do w everything.

first.

turbo

ducks and highfives
Silver Member
boobs might have sumthin to do w this.

they have sumthin to do w everything.

first.

cuekev

Thread killer
Silver Member
Kevin

Maybe but I think there is more to it than that. Steve Davis mentions that some snooker use their body as a guide but he doesn't feel it necessary. I think Allison uses the side of her body :rolleyes: as a intentional guide.

I have to believe that there are others on this forum doing this also. It seems to make sense. Why not use it as a guide if it starts on your chin it is probably against your chest and your chest is likely your home position.

poolist

Registered
Sliding cue on chest

I noticed this, along with the square stance, when Allison first came over. I have tried it and it does work. Sometimes I don't trust it, and at other times I use it and it helps. I think Allison has modified her stance a bit and it is not as square as before.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Same response as I gave you over at the other forum

For me, I need to be balanced properly - and I have my own alignment system that works for me uniquely. It may or may not work for anybody else, but for me, it is imperative to align my body in relation to my balance points while I am down in my stance. If I align myself correctly in accordance with my checklist, then my stroke arm should be where it is SUPPOSED to be - not where I THINK it should be.

The thing I have learned most from watching Allison, Kelly, and Karen, is that their alignment is supported by their balance. They sight the shot, align themselves to it, and glide into their stances with perfect weight distribution.

You can align yourself, perfectly...but show me a wobbly and inconsistent stance, and I'll show you a wobbly and inconsistent stroke, as well as a wobbly and inconsistent result.

If you watch a lot of Allison's matches, you will begin to notice that her balance and her stance actually dictate her shot selection. If she can't reach a ball, or if she has to stretch, she is more likely to grab the bridge for a shot that most other players would stretch for. IMO, Allison is not willing to sacrifice her fundamentals in any situation. She is consistent in her basic fundamentals, which is evident in the consistency of her results.

For the heck of it, get some matches that show players with unorthodox mechanics, such as Keith McCready, and Mike Davis. Compare that to the mechanical styles of the players with snooker backgrounds (Allison Fisher, Karen Corr, Darren Appleton, Darryl Peach). What I have noticed is that every one of those players gets the job done in their own unique way. What works for Mike Davis will probably not work anybody else except Mike Davis - but it works really well for him.

In the end, it is all about how you go through the cue ball. Personally, I don't want the cue touching anything that it is not supposed to be touching - I want to anything to interfere or have a chance to interfere with the fluidity of my stroke. JMO.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I do it on long straight shots where I need accuracy. Having that one more reference to line up with feels like it helps a little. But I can't swear it's any better than my usual shooting where I don't use it, and I am pretty sure I don't let the cue touch my body during the actual final swing, only during warmup.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I tend to slide the Cue along the side of my body on longer shots
and it seems to have improved my accuracy.

Reactions: sjm

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
I used to do that when I was younger, but since I've started playing serious again, it's just uncomfortable. Out of all the things that I've re-established from my old playing style, the cue-to-chest is about the only thing I left out. I know a few people who do it, but for the most part, I don't see it too often. I don't know where I picked it up before, since I was never taught that way, but I might take it into consideration with long shots. Covering all that real estate tends to be a challenge sometimes. Thanks for that idea! :thumbup:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I slide the cue across my chest as a setup guide. I also useed my chin as a "double check" if I"m a little off. I read a snooker book years ago that explained the check points...

>bridge hand
>chin
>chest
>cue hand

with all these check points aligned you should have a good setup. Now I keep my chin up off the cue a bit....I can sight better that way.

G.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have put on alot of weight in the last 10 years, and cant avoid it now. I personally find it more of a hinderance than a help. It has caused my stance to change a little bit compared to what it used to be; and on a follow through my grip hand strikes my body now. Its not a big issue as long as I have room to stroke past the cueball before the hand hits (on impact it causes a lateral movement of the cue tip)..... but it adds another mental note to the preshot routine.
Physical stature aside, proper clearance with a grooved in stroke is better in the long run. Look at Mike Sigel, he is a thin guy, and his body is completely away from the stroking arm. It allows a more fluid motion, unhindered by anything. Snooker players aside (they learned the game with a squared up stance) using your body as a guide, can be a crutch that can change day to day depending on body position etc.
Chuck

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't do this, it ends up messing up my stroke. I like to use the finish position, bring my grip hand to the top of my shoulder.

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some years ago I took a lesson from a established snooker-coach to see if it could help me with my pool. He told me that in snooker typically the cue touched the body in 4 places....backhand...chest, chin and bridgehand...

I try with it on occasions....but usually keep my body a few inches above the cue

jcommie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to do that, but I haven't worked out in months. Pecs aren't what they used to be, so I don't do it anymore :D

cuekev

Thread killer
Silver Member
Boobs do get in the way so I believe for most women, we keep the cue away from our chest.

Angela,

I think I have found my answer. Some snooker coaches teach a four contact point method using grip, bridge, chin and chest. I'm sure that is what Allison is using. I wasn't sure if it was intentional but I am pretty sure now. Karen Corr seems to do it also. The cue is sliding along the side and not in front and stays in contact thru the whole stroke. It seems to be helping my stroke so I'm going to use it. Here is a snooker video with a quick explaination.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=snooker chest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

Your rep looks a little anemic so let me help ya out.:wink:

Thanks,