FS Ron Kilby (all wood joint) sneaky with two shafts (ivory ferrules) & JPs

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Toward the end of last year I looked around for a cue builder who made cues with an all wood joint. I ran across Ron Kilby's Website and was taken with his description of his cues and his general philosophy of cue building. If you are not familiar with him, he has built mostly carom cues but builds pool cues as well. Here is a link to some information on his Website: http://www.caromcues.com/WhyKilbyCue.htm

I bought a cue from Ron and liked how it played, so I ordered a second shaft. I played with the cue for about a week and it played fine, but you guys know what happened...I put it in the closet to play with other cues and haven't used it since, so it is in near mint condition.

There are ivory ferrules on both shafts. The cue is 58" and a little under 19 ounces (butt = 14.76, shaft1 = 3.96, shaft 2 = 4.03). Shafts are about 12.75 mm. The cue is straight together and apart. Joint protectors are included.

Cue has been sold.

Here are three pics of the cue. I did notice that there are areas on the butt where the finish is more like I would expect on a house cue than a custom cue, but Ron didn't make the butt, he uses butts he gets from some company in Canada.

There is a Triangle tip on one shaft and I believe it is a Moori medium on the other shaft.

I also have a Kilby. Very happy with it and with Ron's service as well.

Lotsa cue for $400. 2 shafts, j/ps @ $350 is a real steal deal.

I've also got one of Ron's pool cues, and can attest to Ron's excellent workmanship and quality. He puts a very nice parabolic taper on his pool cue shafts that produces a very solid communicative hit. Recommended.

623600003_JJxxr-XL.jpg

623600106_puHLX-XL.jpg

623600312_U2SbA-XL.jpg

Last edited:

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Just one evening bump

to see if you want to try a Kilby pool cue. Ask around, he's been highly regarded for years now.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have what I believe is a legit offer on this cue, but it is a bit below what I originally decided would be my "best price" for the cue. However, if no one offers $330 or more (shipped via PayPal) by noon today (Thursday), I plan to accept the offer that has been made.

Last edited:

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The last bump

I won't bump again. At noon today I plan to either accept the best offer or take the cue back to the closet.:)

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Sale Pending

I have PM'ed the AZer who made me the best offer and accepted his offer. The sale is pending receipt of funds in my PayPal account. Thanks for looking!:)

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
421   0   0
I don't know this cue maker,but Deano made several cues with that wood joint and i never played with such a cue.I bet this is the best hitting cue you will find ,and I can recomend Bill Porter to you as a good guy

Every so often someone asks for the best cue you can find for $500 or under,this is probably it if Porter says it plays like the deano

dean

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I don't know this cue maker,but Deano made several cues with that wood joint and i never played with such a cue.I bet this is the best hitting cue you will find ,and I can recomend Bill Porter to you as a good guy

Every so often someone asks for the best cue you can find for $500 or under,this is probably it if Porter says it plays like the deano

dean

Thanks for the kind words, Dean. The Kilby cue does play much like a Deano cue since they have very similar joints and uncapped ferrules. I found myself favoring the Deano cue I have with its conical tapered thick shaft. Just personal preference, of course. Say "hi" to Mike H. for me.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0

dean

I do know the Cue Maker Personally, and MR. Kilby is well know in the Northwest. Ron, may be better know in Billiards Circles, however, he makes one hell of cue. In addition Ron is also a Luthier and along with making cues he also makes Custom Guitars and other Musical Instruments that are made from wood. Ron is a true craftsman and the materials he uses are second to none in Character and quality.

Here is another sample of Ron's work, the cue pictured is not for sale. I recently had the cue brought to me for a minor repair of the finish.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

4.jpg

The cue the gentleman current has for sale on the forum is a steal for price he has offered it for. I am certain that anyone who buys it will be more than happy with it.

To the OP good luck with your sale.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I do know the Cue Maker Personally, and MR. Kilby is well know in the Northwest. Ron, may be better know in Billiards Circles, however, he makes one hell of cue. In addition Ron is also a Luthier and along with making cues he also makes Custom Guitars and other Musical Instruments that are made from wood. Ron is a true craftsman and the materials he uses are second to none in Character and quality.

Here is another sample of Ron's work, the cue pictured is not for sale. I recently had the cue brought to me for a minor repair of the finish.

View attachment 106663

View attachment 106664

View attachment 106665

View attachment 106666

View attachment 106667

The cue the gentleman current has for sale on the forum is a steal for price he has offered it for. I am certain that anyone who buys it will be more than happy with it.

To the OP good luck with your sale.

Craig, thanks for the kind words! It's just a tough time to sell cues, as we all know.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The cue has been sold

The cue has been sold. Thanks to those who offered kind words about the cue and about me!:)