Diamond System explained - In old Disney cartoon

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
An oldie, but a goodie! I think this has been mentioned on the 3C forums before. Goes to show how popular 3C was at one point with the general public.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
A good thing they had Donald otherwise it would have been Mickey Mouse.

Too bad banking and kicking isn't that easy.

jonesy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don Feeney taught me the diamond system. Now I know where he got it from. It was the Duck.:rotflmao1:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wonder what the duck does when the CB is more in the middle of the table? Say diamond 4 only 3 diamonds off side rail.

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen this video before, but I have never fully understood how the 3-rail system works.

Can anyone explain how you figure out what 'natural angle' is necessary to hit the ball coming off the 3rd rail? I didn't pick up how the natural angle is determined, and this seems critical in selecting your third rail target.

Similarly, how do you figure out where the CB starting position is?

Finally, do you cue centerball or use running english? If the latter, how much?

Thanks to anyone who can help...

Jeff

Quatsch83

Learner
Silver Member
I have seen this video before, but I have never fully understood how the 3-rail system works.

Can anyone explain how you figure out what 'natural angle' is necessary to hit the ball coming off the 3rd rail? I didn't pick up how the natural angle is determined, and this seems critical in selecting your third rail target.

Jeff

I was wondering about the first part of your question as well. The angle you pick totally depends on what angle you're coming into the 3rd rail from the 2nd rail with. Seems like it's all interdependent, so I'm not sure how you pick the 3rd rail spot and angle without knowing everything else...

I'd also be curious as to answers to this

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom the natural angle would be to split the two balls. Only one line would give you a split hit... pool, now that is another story. Maybe any line off a whole number diamond, say 2, 3 or 4 would give you the natural line, providing you don't give yourself a neg or zeron diamond aiming point.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is lots of good instruction available out there. "Byrne's Standard Book of Pool & Billiards" does a nice job of getting started on the "Corner 5", which is a "standard" 3 rail system. Jimmy Reid's dvd's are really good, too - also see Dr Cue & Don Feeney.
To begin answering your questions...
The line the CB takes after hitting the 3rd rail is called a return track, and this is what they're referring to as the "natural angle" for contact.
You use running english. How much is dependent on your stroke & equipment.
The cue ball isn't starting from anywhere until you aim it (barring it being frozen to a rail, of course).
There are literally hundreds of diamond systems, but many are different ways of doing the same thing. Some of what I've found most useful are sometimes referred to as "designator tracks".
Fascinating stuff.

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom the natural angle would be to split the two balls. Only one line would give you a split hit... pool, now that is another story. Maybe any line off a whole number diamond, say 2, 3 or 4 would give you the natural line, providing you don't give yourself a neg or zeron diamond aiming point.

I'm still a little confused on the carom natural angle splitting the two balls...can't the cue ball take more than one path to the point where it would be touching both object balls? [I tried to illustrate what I'm talking about on a Wei table but failed miserably]

8JIM9

Registered

Jeff
If you're really interested in learning how the diamonds work; I'd suggest Jim Rydell's book "The Owner's Manual for the Complete Pool Player" Check out pjbilliards.com
8JIM9

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
A good thing they had Donald otherwise it would have been Mickey Mouse.

Too bad banking and kicking isn't that easy.

They are. There are systems for those that work equally as well. Plenty of material on them out there.

Unless you happen to be one of those who believes that it's voodoo which can only be learned through trial and error after a million hours.

Dave Matlock and Jimmy Reid among others would disagree, they being two top professionals who espouse banking and kicking systems.