Uni-loc insert question

hejests

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gentlemen,

I have a quick question about uni-loc insert pins. I purchased an additional uni-loc shaft this week and I noticed that the pilot portion of the insert (i'm not sure if that's the right terminology, but i'm talking about the portion that sticks out of the shaft) isn't as long as other uni-loc shafts (predator) I have. It almost looks like maybe the insert was pushed in a bit too far (if that's possible).

The net result is that when tightening the cue, I get about about half a rotation less to tighten than my other shafts. With my other shafts, it's about 1 1/4 rotations once the threads are engaged. With this shaft, it's about 4/5 a rotation once the threads are engaged.

Otherwise, the joint is tight and the cue is very straight.

Is this something I should be considered about?

Thanks,

Serge

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Changes

I think that uni-lock may have noodled with the design a bit the last 2 I got were different..........Ray Weeks

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
How so ???
I buy about 100 a year and every one has been the same.
I've got 20 coming Monday. Am I going to be surprised?

KJ

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
My 20 inserts arrived today and no, I was not surprised.
They are exactly the same as the Uni-Loc QR inserts that I've been using for probably 15 yrs.
Maybe you could elaborate on any differences you've noticed.

Now to address the OP's original question.
The most you'll ever get out of the Uni pin & insert is 1-1/4 turns, rarely even that.
Both the pin and insert need to be set at proper depth.
I know what you're talking about when you state: "It almost looks like maybe the insert was pushed in a bit
too far (if that's possible)."
The Chinese are installing the inserts incorrectly. They are setting the insert too deep into the shaft.
This reduces the thread contact area with the pin. There is no logical reason to do this.
On a std 14 thrd insert, some CMs will set the pilot .030/.040" deep into the shaft, using the pilot as an
alignment barrel. I see no problem with that as the pilot does absolutely nothing anyway.
Using this same method with a Uni QR insert is having an adverse affect ie, less thrd. contact area.
It makes no sense to me in that over 1/2 the length of the Uni QR insert is alignment barrel anyway.

KJ

Last edited: