How much should a shaft blank weigh?

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're buying a ld shaft blank (predator) how much should the blank weigh if you want the shaft to weigh in at around 3.8oz - 4.0oz? 3/8x10 pin so no brass or metal inserts. Do you just ask for the heaviest and hope for the best?

Thanks

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a cuemaker, but in order to estimate the final weight, you would need to know what the unfinished length/weight/diameter of the blank. Once you have those measurements, you could calculate how much material will be removed when cut/turned to final dimensions, work backwards, and get in the ballpark of what your starting weight needs to be.

Ian

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Lol, you want a Predator to weigh 4oz? You better be slugging the joint end.

They drill out the end and fill them with foam, they don't weigh 4oz. Play with solid maple to get that weight. Even then it is tough, and most guys need to treat the maple or use a brass insert

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, you want a Predator to weigh 4oz? You better be slugging the joint end.

They drill out the end and fill them with foam, they don't weigh 4oz. Play with solid maple to get that weight. Even then it is tough, and most guys need to treat the maple or use a brass insert

I don't know about this. I have 2 314's that weigh exactly 4.0oz and a z shaft at 3.9oz so it is possible.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
LD shaft

If you're buying a ld shaft blank (predator) how much should the blank weigh if you want the shaft to weigh in at around 3.8oz - 4.0oz? 3/8x10 pin so no brass or metal inserts. Do you just ask for the heaviest and hope for the best?

Thanks

So you want a heavy hollow shaft ..... when few solid maple shafts weigh in at 4.0 oz. :speechless:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cuYe8fvaKQ

Tell them not to hold the glue ;)

You might need to go with the 30 in shaft...........
Call and ask or e mail predator
1-888-314-4111 (International 1-904-448-8748)
sales@predatorgroup.com

If you plan on going with a collarless shaft, then have the balls to ask predator if they warrant their collarless shafts from delaminating at the joint.

Good luck

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you may be hard pressed to find a 4 oz shaft with your type of joint.

I had a 314-2 Predator FAT shaft blank customized for my cue and I weighed it yesterday and it came out to exactly 4 oz.

It is 29 1/2 inches long and has a 5/16-14 compression joint with a metal insert and the collar has a silver ring.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Thanks

Yes, ask for the heaviest. In my experience, you don't lose much weight, maybe 2 tenths of an ounce.

Last edited: