Reload this Page Cross slide - is something missing
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Cross slide - is something missing
Old
  (#1)
youngstownkid
AzB Silver Member
youngstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Cross slide - is something missing - 06-03-2017, 10:57 PM

I was getting a significant cross slide movement, as if I was going over a bump, when tapering near the joint end. After nearly ruining a shaft, I took my cross slide apart and cleaned everything but am wondering what the circular cutout is for. Is there something missing?

"That kid right there shoots straighter than (bleepin') Robin Hood."

"Look, boss, I only got one rule. And that's never bet money that you don't have on a dog race with an ex-girlfriend who happens to be a stripper."

Track
Old
  (#2)
CamposCues
AzB Silver Member
CamposCues has a reputation beyond reputeCamposCues has a reputation beyond reputeCamposCues has a reputation beyond reputeCamposCues has a reputation beyond reputeCamposCues has a reputation beyond reputeCamposCues has a reputation beyond reputeCamposCues has a reputation beyond reputeCamposCues has a reputation beyond reputeCamposCues has a reputation beyond reputeCamposCues has a reputation beyond reputeCamposCues has a reputation beyond repute

Track - 06-04-2017, 12:05 AM

Not sure about the cutout. Check the track that the cross slide pinion gear rides in. If you get a wood chip in it, it can cause problems like you described when tapering.

Old
  (#3)
Busbee Cue
AzB Silver Member
Busbee Cue has a reputation beyond reputeBusbee Cue has a reputation beyond reputeBusbee Cue has a reputation beyond reputeBusbee Cue has a reputation beyond reputeBusbee Cue has a reputation beyond reputeBusbee Cue has a reputation beyond reputeBusbee Cue has a reputation beyond reputeBusbee Cue has a reputation beyond reputeBusbee Cue has a reputation beyond reputeBusbee Cue has a reputation beyond reputeBusbee Cue has a reputation beyond repute

06-04-2017, 02:06 AM

The circular cut out is there to hold a clamping screw that fits into the T slot
To secure the aluminum piece to the cross slide. It also allows the top slide to swivel, it is not needed in your application because you have the four screws to accomplish the task of holding the pieces together.
Attached Images

Last edited by Busbee Cue; 06-04-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Circle
Old
  (#4)
Nuts4Tascarellas
AzB Silver Member
Nuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Circle - 06-04-2017, 02:49 AM

Absolutely correct. It's to allow the option of swiveling the cross slide. It's called a compound cross slide.

I don't talk while I play... the only English I speak is left, right, top, and bottom. ~Brad Hamel~

Old
  (#5)
youngstownkid
AzB Silver Member
youngstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond repute

06-04-2017, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the info!

"Look, boss, I only got one rule. And that's never bet money that you don't have on a dog race with an ex-girlfriend who happens to be a stripper."

Cross slide - is something missing
Old
  (#6)
Tommy-D
World's best B player...
Tommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond repute

Cross slide - is something missing - 06-04-2017, 03:04 PM

If you look for them online,there are several pictures where people made their own modifications for this assembly because it can be flimsy if that ONE hold-down screw isn't 100% as tight as you can get it. The gibs must also be adjusted right.

It's also kind of an odd Allen wrench size at 7/64. A FULL set of standard or SAE Allen wrenches will have it,but not every set.

It will also be easier to use the long end of your Allen for adjusting it.

I have one myself,so this is hard-won advice from using it myself. Tommy D.

"I'm going to try to work it out so at the end its a pure guts race.............because if it is..............I'm the only one that can win." Steve Prefontaine

Old
  (#7)
deadbeat
AzB Silver Member
deadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond repute

06-04-2017, 06:40 PM

You will notice you have 4 tapped holes, that is a compound cross slide made to cut angles, but has been modified to taper. As said earlier, people who don't tap them that cut just angles have put paper and such in there to tighten things up. If you just buy the compound cross slide it will not have those 4 holes to hold it straight and steady. They were added and counter sunk for tapering only.

Old
  (#8)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues
Renegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond repute

06-04-2017, 07:27 PM

The brass gib is junk also. Get a delrin one if you can find it, and a good gear oil for lube,

Renegade_56

If winning is so easy why aren't the losers doing it?

R56 Custom Cues on Facebook

Old
  (#9)
youngstownkid
AzB Silver Member

06-04-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_56 View Post
The brass gib is junk also. Get a delrin one if you can find it, and a good gear oil for lube,

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

Old
  (#10)
youngstownkid
AzB Silver Member

06-04-2017, 08:54 PM

I extended the taper wheel out a little more to compress the spring even more. Hopefully that helps, but I think the problem may be that the spring is rolling, and when the very end of the coil slides off the rounded bottom, it gives a millimeter or so. (Why on earth is the bottom rounded?) If the problem persists, I might have a machinist friend make one that isn't rounded.

Old
  (#11)
youngstownkid
AzB Silver Member

06-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Or maybe I can find a cap for the bottom of the spring...a rounded cap would be nice!

Old
  (#12)
youngstownkid
AzB Silver Member

06-04-2017, 09:30 PM

Actually it looks like something is meant to maybe help with this. A bolt with maybe a sleeve the spring can be guided by...just need to find something.

Old
  (#13)
youngstownkid
AzB Silver Member

06-04-2017, 09:51 PM

Nevermind! I just realized that is for a dial if you didn't want the spring loaded cross slide on it. I think I found a solution anyway, I found a small screw with a rounded head that I slid into the bottom of the spring, and it seems to roll smoothly with no occasional hiccups.

Old
  (#14)
Dave38
theemperorhasnoclotheson
Dave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-04-2017, 11:56 PM

OK, is this a Hightower lathe? If so, call Chris.....he knows these better than the back of his hand. If it's not one of his, He's still the best guy to ask questions of. These lathes are not complicated, but can be frustrating when not used to dealing with these items.
Dave

Old
  (#15)
sileighty_guru
5A Grade Wood Pecker
sileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond repute

06-05-2017, 05:13 AM

One other thing to check...

Look for buildup on the taper bar (epoxy, CA, crud etc...) even the smallest of imperfections on the taper bar transfer to the crossslide. Just run your finger the length of it and feel for anything not smooth!

Just a shot in the dark but would be an easy fix, plus is something I have run into before!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: