How often do you scuff your tip?

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
How many games or playing time between working the tip?

What triggers you to work on your tip?

Tip pr!ck, abrasive rub, knurled steel?

How often do you replace your tip?

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right or wrong I got into the habit of scuffing with sandpaper before every match. Its now just part of my routine!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i scuff with the last forever tool one time before each time i go to practice or play

replace the tip when it gets down less than 1/8 of an inch from the ferrule,

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I scuff before each match. I use different tools, depending on which one is the most handy. I play with one of the softest tips available, but I still miscue occasionally if I don't scuff the tip before every match.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I haven’t in 20 years. I never understood why ppl do it. The tips hold chalk perfectly without it.

not so much the glazed, glass like finish tips after many many hits, i dont think they hold chalk better than a fuzz like surface,

maybe im wrong

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After every time a thread like this gets started! Search for 'tip' i bet you get hit a lot.
:rotflmao:
(After about 6hrs of play, I would guesstimate)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I used to scuff my tip but quit doing it. When I have a new tip installed I have my cue guy knock it down close to about 1/2 thickness, I like my tips to be on the harder side. Every new layered tip I have tried so far (OK not that many, but a few popular brands) are way too soft and mushy when left at full height. I like the way my Everest plays when its about 1 layer away from the red warning layer, occasionally I scuff it just to get it close to what I like for thickness quicker, but not until I have used it for quite awhile to compress it.

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
Since switching to Kamui Black’s every couple of hours or so. I like the tips so don’t get me wrong but they glaze like crazy.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the Tiger Oynx tip and never do anything other than chalk it until I replace it.

They last a long time.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every 10 to 12 hours of play

Unless I miscue, I usually do it every 10 to 12 hours of play time. And I usually just hit it enough to take off a thin coat. I try not to grind on it.

I like a full tip and when its about halfway gone, I put a new one on. Buying new tips never bothered me. I have replaced tips that others considered in great shape.

Now if I miscue badly and feel that I wasn’t doing anything stupid, like a ton of draw, then I will hit it just for that mental affirmation.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Depends a little on the tip. I like Elkmasters-good solid playing tip, no frills,
as you play it gets harder toward the end I compare it to a Triangle. As it approaches Triangle stage it requires more work.

As a habit I like to raise the hair on the tip grain before each match and tip pick it a little if it needs it.

Recently I changed to Jacoby Hybrid Shafts that came with Kamui Medium Hard tips. To my surprise they played a lot before starting to glaze.

My normal routine and they operate just fine without miscuing with Master Chalk.

I think as you get more serious about the game you're playing you'll get into the habit of making sure you have some insurance against miscues. I watched an old match between Corey Duel and Jayson Shaw last night. An insane display of run out 8-ball and in the end Corey had him beat it was hill hill 20 to 20 racks in a race to 21. Duel gets down on a shot that calls for a little extra spin and he's out....miscues.

I think its worth it to take care of the business if you want to win.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
After every time a thread like this gets started! Search for 'tip' i bet you get hit a lot.
:rotflmao:
(After about 6hrs of play, I would guesstimate)

That's funny. When I started this I questioned whether or not I had started this thread before.:grin:

Anyway, new ppl.

I'm starting to get close to replacing my tip cause it's getting worn down and with knowing how I got here.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every week or two probably. I just use the Kamui tool to give it a little texture. When a tip is new I’ll reshape it regularly until it wears in. Been using my current Kamui soft for about 18mo now...it’s pretty much time to replace it but always hate getting used to and breaking in a new tip so I keep putting it off.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rarely, but I purposely use tips that require little to no maintenance.

Usually only do it when I 'recondition' the whole shaft. Maybe a couple times a year.

A quick spin in an abrasive shaper

When it gets to about a dimes thickness. Usually several months, but Ive had tips last over a year before.

Currently using a Zan medium. They meet my needs pretty well. :thumbup:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Scuff: Never
Tip *****/Pick: Less than never (IMO, worst idea for any tip)
Replace: every couple of years or four

About the only thing I do once every 4 or so months is to roll the tip on sandpaper (never scuff), but I don't even do that anymore.

Freddie <~~~ hates those tools, but owns them all

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
De

as hill hill 20 to 20 racks in a race to 21. Duel gets down on a shot that calls for a little extra spin and he's out....miscues.

I think its worth it to take care of the business if you want to win.

Truth. Gotta prevent the failure.

Last edited: