Which Model GC?

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
00z0z_eVolcI3UU4y_600x450.jpg

Saw an ad for this and just wondered which model this is?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown 1 made from 1962 to 1974 as I recall.
Very solid table. As long as the slate and cushions are good everything else can fixed.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could be a 1 or a 2. Great tables. Buy it even if you have to store it a while. That's a good price just based on your pics.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the identification.

Looks in great shape, guys asking $750/bo.

The gold crown 1 and 2 are very similar. Both very well built. There will be dates on the underside of the feet. If the skate is pinned it is a 1. If it ever had the plastic aprons covering the ball returns its a 1. If it has non adjustable feet just wood screwed to pedestal,its a 1. Figure 8 style mounting plate on bottom of rail its a 1. Union made wood working stamps. Plastic nameplates on earliest ones.

Gold crown 2"s. have adjustable feet and they changed the rail mounting to up inside the rail with a floating plate. Same Slates as the 1's mostly Brunstone which came from PA and is brownish.

Under 1000 is good. Offer 500 and see. It is 500 or more for cloth and install. Make sure rubber isnt dead. It looks well cared for.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Look under the table...not that it tells a story. The slates could be from various tables and not a set. That price is real good.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BUY IT....:)
at $750 you can afford any repairs/ upgrades and still have a GREAT PLAYING TABLE for way less than 3-5 k it would cost you to buy a diamond used
plus i like the way gold crowns play better.....:thumbup:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
BUY IT....:)
at $750 you can afford any repairs/ upgrades and still have a GREAT PLAYING TABLE for way less than 3-5 k it would cost you to buy a diamond used
plus i like the way gold crowns play better.....:thumbup:

Just make sure it has had only one owner .
If it came from a pool hall, or several moves, I'd pass.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The gold crown 1 and 2 are very similar. Both very well built. There will be dates on the underside of the feet. If the skate is pinned it is a 1. If it ever had the plastic aprons covering the ball returns its a 1. If it has non adjustable feet just wood screwed to pedestal,its a 1. Figure 8 style mounting plate on bottom of rail its a 1. Union made wood working stamps. Plastic nameplates on earliest ones.
——————————————————-
Gold crown 2"s. have adjustable feet and they changed the rail mounting to up inside the rail with a floating plate. Same Slates as the 1's mostly Brunstone which came from PA and is brownish.
————————————————————-
Under 1000 is good. Offer 500 and see. It is 500 or more for cloth and install. Make sure rubber isnt dead. It looks well cared for.

Thanx for that info...the floating plates inside the rails were a great idea....IMO.
.....I’ve owned Ones, Twos, and Threes....wasn’t sure which ones had those.

When Dufferin made their early Challenger model, they had those plates.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the identification.

Looks in great shape, guys asking $750/bo.

IMHO a good deal....as long as it isn't a frankentable.

Sometimes when pool halls closed tables were disassembled and parts mixed up before they were sold.

A lot of old GCs came out of pool halls.

Anything can be fixed of course...but at what expense...

Table looks nice. Might be a great find. :smile:

Looks real nice to me, but so did my first wife. ;)

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Late build GC 1s also had adjustable feet and floating rail bolt plates as well as segmented apron and ball box extrusions. A GC II would not have painted aprons, stretcher, and petestals, instead the entire table was stained rosewood.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
One thing to consider with I and II's is they had Monarch cushions.
Replacing the cushions might need a little more work than just dropping in a SuperSpeed cushions.