Question About Tight Pockets

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pockets on my Gold Crown IV are 4.5 inches. Side pockets are 4.75 inches. Whilst 4.5 corner pockets are not considered really tight my table sure seems to play unforgiving.

What could be causing this? Is it the angle the rails are cut at? The facings? Something else?

r/DCP

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pockets on my Gold Crown IV are 4.5 inches. Side pockets are 4.75 inches. Whilst 4.5 corner pockets are not considered really tight my table sure seems to play unforgiving.

What could be causing this? Is it the angle the rails are cut at? The facings? Something else?

r/DCP
Your pocket facing angles are a very underrated factor in how easy/tough your pockets play. They can easily be measured with a protractor. Anything more than 142° would be considered quite tough, particularly on a tight pocket table. Also it’s generally assumed side pockets should be a half inch wider than corner pockets, so if your side pockets are 4-3/4 inches wide, that is proportionately tougher than your 4 1/2 inch corners.

Also another factor I’ve discovered – the older you get the more unforgiving your pockets become!

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your pocket facing angles are a very underrated factor in how easy/tough your pockets play. They can easily be measured with a protractor. Anything more than 142° would be considered quite tough, particularly on a tight pocket table. Also it’s generally assumed side pockets should be a half inch wider than corner pockets, so if your side pockets are 4-3/4 inches wide, that is proportionately tougher than your 4 1/2 inch corners.

Also another factor I’ve discovered – the older you get the more unforgiving your pockets become!

And exactly how do I go about measuring that?

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member

r/DCP
What is happening? Any videos? You can slightly adjust the pockets on a gold crown without a mechanic.

Also, verify the pocket angles as noted above.

After that, you could replace the pocket facings. Using something a little harder will help the balls go down better. You likely need to replace the rail felt to do this, though.

-td

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place the long arm of the protractor flush against / along the cushion nose and the straight edge of the rectangular shaped protractor gauge flush against the edge of the facing, then read your measurement on the dial.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP hasn’t mentioned he wants more forgiving pockets.

Depends a lot on what shots aren’t going in. American pool tables often allow Wobblies down the rail to sink...However not all tables.

A suggestion is to mark the centre of the corner pockets with donut reinforcements...then Attempt to sink the cue ball (no object ball) at Increasingly tight angles. Are all four pockets consistent?

If so, just note at what extreme angle a ball won’t sink and adjust your risk factor when deciding on what shot to make.

My issue as primarily a Snooker player ( 3.5 inch pockets) is I get on an American pool table and likely pass on what are likely better shot choices because I forget that the pockets are much more forgiving. If you are aware of what shotS won’t sink on your Gold Crown, then you have a basis to ease up on that restriction on another table.

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place the long arm of the protractor flush against / along the cushion nose and the straight edge of the rectangular shaped protractor gauge flush against the edge of the facing, then read your measurement on the dial.

I'd have to see a video on how to do this. I wasn't very good with math stuff. Or English or history or science or PE or accounting...….

r/DCP

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd have to see a video on how to do this. I wasn't very good with math stuff. Or English or history or science or PE or accounting...….

r/DCP
If you have a protractor, just experiment with it, it’s not that hard. We’re referring to the angle as it breaks off from the cushion to the facing angle leading back towards the back of the pocket.

We all have our strengths / weaknesses – as I don’t have the knowledge to be able to snap a photo on my phone and add it to this post which would answer your question, which I’m sure would be quite simple if I knew how!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What is happening? Any videos? You can slightly adjust the pockets on a gold crown without a mechanic.

Also, verify the pocket angles as noted above.

After that, you could replace the pocket facings. Using something a little harder will help the balls go down better. You likely need to replace the rail felt to do this, though.

-td

You got me again....reading the IPad on the patio...some bugs land once in a while...
....I just swipe them off....doesn’t work on your avatar...:smile:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Age and condition of the cloth and how clean the balls are can have an affect on how tough the table plays also. I have Simonis from 2007 and when the balls get dirty my Diamond is brutal.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a protractor, just experiment with it, it’s not that hard. We’re referring to the angle as it breaks off from the cushion to the facing angle leading back towards the back of the pocket.

We all have our strengths / weaknesses – as I don’t have the knowledge to be able to snap a photo on my phone and add it to this post which would answer your question, which I’m sure would be quite simple if I knew how!

So......you are telling me that one of these is all I need?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protractor

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yep, that should work. To get a pretty good estimate with just a tape measure, you could just take your mouth measurement at the front of the pocket which you’ve already stated is 4-1/2 inches, then take the measurement across the throat of the pocket, 2-1/2 inches back from the front points of each facing where it meets the cushion rubber. If that measurement at that point is 4 inches or less across, then you have a pocket facing angle of at least 142+, which is considered tougher than average.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

Yes and they are available from any store that sells school supplies or craft supplies for about $2. Here is a basic 2 minute video on how to measure an angle with a protractor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPc0imoebzI

You can also use a carpenter's square to measure angles as they have a protractor built in. You probably already have one but it not you should as they are super handy for doing lots of things and start at about $5 from any store that sells tools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPL6jOa6AH8

This picture, courtesy of Dr. Dave from the link he posted above, shows the angle (pocket facing angle) you will need to measure that everybody has been talking about.
http://billiarduniversity.org/images/table_pocket_measurements.jpg

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaws are silly. Lose 'em. The pockets wouldn't look as cool but you can have the smallest possible aperture and still fire at rail shots.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Your pocket facing angles are a very underrated factor in how easy/tough your pockets play. They can easily be measured with a protractor. Anything more than 142° would be considered quite tough, particularly on a tight pocket table.
Here's the angle Chris is talking about. A facing angle of 142° (yellow lines) is pretty common. For comparison, parallel facings (white lines) would be angled 135°.

pj
chgo

pocket angles.jpg

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the angle Chris is talking about. A facing angle of 142° (yellow lines) is pretty common. For comparison, parallel facings (white lines) would be angled 135°.
If somebody doesn't have an angle-measuring device, an option is to measure the pocket mouth and throat sizes:

table_pocket_measurements.jpg

Then look up the facing angle in the following table:

table_difficulty_PAF.jpg

This and a lot more info about how tough a table plays can be found in the Table Difficult Factor (TDF) sticky thread.

Regards,
Dave

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speed kills on GC's, slow down your shots into corner pockets to just over pocket speed when you can, you'll see alot more balls go down...this wont work as well on shots you need to go 4 rails on, but we usually hit those too hard as well. Adam Sandler had it right, most shots need to be at a "medium pace". Also, if you use a lot of english, the ball may be reacting off of the facing...slowing your shot down helps with this as well.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

Dude, 4.5" on a GC is TIGHT. That's a one pocket table. Like the old school triple shimmed GC's at the front of a player's pool room.

You redo your table with new cloth colors every couple of years. Why don't you open the pockets back up to factory on the next recover? 5" corners, 5.5" sides. You will enjoy the game more, IMO.