Pendelum Stroke Video ????

cuekev

Thread killer
Silver Member
There is some very good and some bad billiards info and videos on the web. One thing that is missing is a good video of the pendulum stroke and SPFF. I am hoping that maybe one of the instructors? maybe Randy or Scott will be so kind as to put one on YouTube. Randy could have one of his students demonstrate it while he described the static positions. I think this visual aid could help allot of players.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Get with Scott Lee. He lives in MI. He will give you personal demonstrations, and video tape YOU doing it. Along with everything else you will learn, it would be well worth your time.
Steve

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
cuekev said:
There is some very good and some bad billiards info and videos on the web. One thing that is missing is a good video of the pendulum stroke and SPFF. ...
I don't have access to it right now, but didn't Mike Page post something about this? His login on YouTube is "fargobilliards".

cuekev

Thread killer
Silver Member
Hi Scott,

Yes, I did go to Pool School and found it very helpful. There are many videos out there but not much from the SPFF/Pendulum school. I feel that Scott and Randy are great teachers and was hoping that they would give us a taste of the fundamentals. Air equals error, static positions and going home with your stroke are all great tips. Most beginners can't afford PS but as they become more familiar with this style or system they will eventually seek further instruction. It would have been a great help to me when I first picked up a cue.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Randy will be in Charlotte teaching a class with me in September. Maybe while he is here, we can put together something like what you are suggesting. I think it might be a good idea.
Steve

cuekev

Thread killer
Silver Member
Am I the only AZer interested in seeing the pendulum stroke demonstrated in a YouTube video?????

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
Here is a link to the before and after videos for one of our students. The after video is a good example of the SPF routine and pendulum stroke.

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
cuekev said:
Am I the only AZer interested in seeing the pendulum stroke demonstrated in a YouTube video?????

No Im very interested on getting my hands (eyes) on any good instuctional online.

I have never had a lesson or read a book, I am a pretty decent player (strong apa5, 9ball) I have been practicing like a mad man for the last year or so and Im getting the feeling that I am only going to be able to get so far without getting some instruction (or at least it's going to take me 10x the amount of time to get there on my own)....

I havent got a clue what a pendulum stroke is... But I am very interested in the video or any video online (you tube?) that someone recommends.

Got any?

av84fun

Banned
Just watch any of the tv matches and with certain rare but notable exceptions (Bustamante for example) you will see the pendulum stroke in actual competition.

Regards,
Jim

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
Beware_of_Dawg said:
No Im very interested on getting my hands (eyes) on any good instuctional online.

I have never had a lesson or read a book, I am a pretty decent player (strong apa5, 9ball) I have been practicing like a mad man for the last year or so and Im getting the feeling that I am only going to be able to get so far without getting some instruction (or at least it's going to take me 10x the amount of time to get there on my own)....

I havent got a clue what a pendulum stroke is... But I am very interested in the video or any video online (you tube?) that someone recommends.

Got any?

Books or videos will only take your mechanics so far. To go the farthest, you should work directly with a qualified instructor.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Beware_of_Dawg said:

Got any?

Watch the second shot (Sigel's first shot) in this video to see a great pendulum stroke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5bvRhETn_s

Sigel doesn't exhibit a good example of SPF here, as he doesn't finish/freeze as prescribed, but the alignment and the pendulum motion of the lower arm are a thing of beauty. His elbow does drop on the final stroke, but only after the ball is gone and his cue is following through.

-Andrew

cuekev

Thread killer
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
Watch the second shot (Sigel's first shot) in this video to see a great pendulum stroke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5bvRhETn_s

Sigel doesn't exhibit a good example of SPF here, as he doesn't finish/freeze as prescribed, but the alignment and the pendulum motion of the lower arm are a thing of beauty. His elbow does drop on the final stroke, but only after the ball is gone and his cue is following through.

-Andrew

Andrew,

Sigel's stroke is not at all what a SPFF instructor would consider a pendulum stroke. This is the reason I would like to see not just someone demonstrating the stroke in a match (Karen Corr) but an instructor like Scott Lee or Randy explaining the arm positions, pauses and the idea of going home with the stroke. This is not so much for me since I have been to PS but for beginners and others who would like to make a change in their game.

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
cuekev said:
...but an instructor like Scott Lee or Randy explaining the arm positions, pauses and the idea of going home with the stroke.

Nothing will compare to time with an SPF instructor.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JohnnyP said:
Andrew:

Looks wonderful, but Mike drops his elbow all the time. I've watched a lot of the older straight pool clips, and they seem to drop elbows even on soft shots.

Working on my stroke:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6912406045383460884
NICE VIDEO JOHNNY! As we both know Wayne hits 'em real good. That's a sweet stroke he has- I know it has influenced how I would like to hit the ball. I like seeing how level the cue is on just about every shot. I'm convinced that the slight shoulder drop has a lot to do with maintaining that degree of level after contact. Too bad that ugly fat SOB (me)in the background gets in Waynes way sometimes. I love his stories about playing in Johnson City and against some of the legends and elder statesman of the game. And I like that he doesn't put up with any sh*t during his tournaments. A good guy, we're blessed to have hime around. But don't tell him that.

3railkick/Bill

EDIT: Tax Season's a b##ch - gotta get outa here-back tomorrow-say hello to Mrs. Johnny

Last edited: