Old
  (#16)
ibuycues
I Love Box Cues
ibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

02-08-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdog View Post
Another story I remember about this cue......I was at Starcher's Billiards in Akron, Ohio and I hadn't seen Gary Spaeth in a few years since I had moved. He was playing in a large tournament that Saturday and he somehow only had one shaft with him and he cracked the ferrule on it during one of his matches. He didn't know what to do and then he saw me in the bleachers and came over and said I had to let him use my Szamboti since he had always loved mine and knew how it would feel/play since he had a Gus also. So I said of course and he never lost a match that day. I went home that night with my cue and did not go back up to Starcher's on Sunday so I do not know what he did for a cue that day but it was fun to see him win every match he played with my Gus Szamboti Her sure could bank a ball. Of all the players I saw over the years the one that looked the most natural over a ball stroking a cue was Gary. You had to see it in person to appreciate it. He just looked like he fit the game perfectly and the high triangle he made with his index finger of his bridge hand was a thing of beauty.
Great story, thanks. I grew up iin a small town near Mansfield, Ohio, and have played pool all my life. I lived in Akron for a while, around 1970, then moved to Canton for several years. But I always went to the tournaments in Akron. I played some there with Jerry Wolf, Emil Glocar, Joe Kerr and others for years. This was before Joe started promoting tournaments. I remember when Paul Mottey came over from Pittsburgh and was walking around the room selling his first two cues.

Sounds like you were from the Cincy area. I became good friends with a player from southern Ohio, Rick Garrison. A very good player, Rick also shot with a Gus for a while. When he moved to Kansas City, where I have lived for almost 30 years, we played on the same team in a BCA league for years.

You have a great, and rare Gus. I really enjoyed the pictures, thanks for sharing.

Will Prout

Gus
Old
  (#17)
rdwell
AzB Silver Member
rdwell has a reputation beyond reputerdwell has a reputation beyond reputerdwell has a reputation beyond reputerdwell has a reputation beyond reputerdwell has a reputation beyond reputerdwell has a reputation beyond reputerdwell has a reputation beyond reputerdwell has a reputation beyond reputerdwell has a reputation beyond reputerdwell has a reputation beyond reputerdwell has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Gus - 02-08-2017, 11:45 AM

Great story Will. I love those old story's and I can picture in my mind. I remember as a kid going into The 8 Ball pool room in Tacoma. I was young but I remember the owner was Whitey Micheals and a guy named Fly Boy. I was talking with Joe Salazar and he said he used to play there with those guys as well. I was about 10 years old and used to go there with my Dad who shot some pretty good pool as well. I know it is a different area but I love the stories of the good old days.

Old
  (#18)
Logdog
AzB Silver Member
Logdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond repute

02-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuycues View Post
Great story, thanks. I grew up iin a small town near Mansfield, Ohio, and have played pool all my life. I lived in Akron for a while, around 1970, then moved to Canton for several years. But I always went to the tournaments in Akron. I played some there with Jerry Wolf, Emil Glocar, Joe Kerr and others for years. This was before Joe started promoting tournaments. I remember when Paul Mottey came over from Pittsburgh and was walking around the room selling his first two cues.

Sounds like you were from the Cincy area. I became good friends with a player from southern Ohio, Rick Garrison. A very good player, Rick also shot with a Gus for a while. When he moved to Kansas City, where I have lived for almost 30 years, we played on the same team in a BCA league for years.

You have a great, and rare Gus. I really enjoyed the pictures, thanks for sharing.

Will Prout

I remember Rick Garrison as a little taller than average dark haired slight built guy with a short beard. He was a good short stop player in the late 70's to early 80's when I used to run into him in the Dayton/Cincinnati area. I would imagine he is in his 60's now

Old
  (#19)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

02-08-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I am the original owner......Bought in about 1976....58 1/2 " 20 oz with 3 shafts that are approx. 13mm. I remember paying extra for the 3rd shaft, the silver ring at the top of the wrap, the inlays in the points, the dots at the top of the points and the barbells in the butt. I basically told him to make something he liked and didn't limit him in any way and this is what he came up with for me. I remember it taking a long time to get it after ordering it but it is simply a fantastic looking and hitting cue. I have not used this cue for 20 years and just recently took it out of my safe deposit box to take some pictures and try to determine the fair market value. Please message me any information you can provide as I won't see replies here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147088...57679608318555
Almost the exact same timeline. I had three shafts, leather wrap, but 60'' later I had Stroud cut back all three to 58'' and was able to use the original ivory ferrules. I think I paid under $250, I had the birdseye maple window in the butt. Took two years to receive it.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#20)
ibuycues
I Love Box Cues
ibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

02-08-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I remember Rick Garrison as a little taller than average dark haired slight built guy with a short beard. He was a good short stop player in the late 70's to early 80's when I used to run into him in the Dayton/Cincinnati area. I would imagine he is in his 60's now
Yep, you described Rick exactly......except he's nearing mid- 70's. Friendly, soft spoken, high integrity, a good friend.

Will Prout

Old
  (#21)
Logdog
AzB Silver Member
Logdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond reputeLogdog has a reputation beyond repute

02-13-2017, 06:36 PM

Ok..........Several dozen people were willing to help me estimate the fair value for this cue and I thank them all for the help. Throwing out the lowest and the highest gave me a range of $10,000-$18,000. I was informed that the market is lower now than it was a few years ago It doesn't make sense to me to sell in a down market and also at the lower end of the range, sort of a double whammy, especially with many people telling me how rare this one is, etc. I have decided to offer it at the high end of the range which is $18,000. I realize this certainly lowers the number of potential buyers because not many people have this kind of cash. If it does not sell I will put it back in the bank and wait 10 years and see where the market is then. Thanks again for all the help. To recap, this is my Gus Szamboti that I ordered in the 1976 area with 3 shafts, 58 1/2 inches with pictures here https://www.flickr.com/photos/147088...57679608318555

Last edited by Logdog; 02-13-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Old
  (#22)
watchez
What time is it?
watchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5625

02-14-2017, 04:01 PM

I like the way you think Lopdog.....the vultures have been throwing that 'it's a down market' conversation out there for a decade. Yes the economy was bad in 2007 but in 2017 it is not. Get top dollar for your cue or I wouldn't sell it. I get the impression it isn't "life changing" money for you so just hold tight til you find the right buyer. When you do, if you haven't sold online before -- get coached on how to do it right.

Watchez Is The Teacher

Those who dance are always laughed at by those who don't even hear the f'in music - George Carlin RIP

Old
  (#23)
Ched
"Hey ... I'm back"!
Ched has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2017, 06:55 PM

LOVE the cue ... and the stories. Thank you for sharing.

Ched

Old
  (#24)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member
Ken_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2017, 07:54 PM

Unless it is an emergency, I wouldnt sell the cue.

Once it is gone, its gone. Money comes and money goes.

Hang on to things that matter my brother.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken

Current cues - Balabushka, Gus Szamboti, Gus Szamboti Hoppe, Schick, Pfd, BHQ Butterfly and Rick Howard J/B.

Cases - Jack Justis, Fellini, Fellini, Fellini, JB Case.

Watchez is the teacher

" Pool was once my passion, then it was my job, and now it is my sentence."

Mark Wilson's Lindenwood University? Soon to be renamed to the Mosconi Cup Breeding Factory - KoolKat9Lives

Old
  (#25)
Ched
"Hey ... I'm back"!
Ched has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_4fun View Post
Unless it is an emergency, I wouldnt sell the cue.

Once it is gone, its gone. Money comes and money goes.

Hang on to things that matter my brother.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken
I was thinking the same thing ...

Ched

Old
  (#26)
Logdog
AzB Silver Member

02-20-2017, 02:20 PM

Ok, it appears that this is winding down. The interest in the posts on AZB is interesting in and of itself as the post is active for a few days and then simply fades away. I received a few hundred messages from people regarding this Gus Szamboti and received a lot of help from many of you on what the value is and for that I am thankful. The pictures i posted were viewed over 1,000 times so a lot of people got to see the cue which is a good thing. I am now going to put the cue back in the bank since my price was not met but I am going to do something that I wish others would do and that is share the pricing information. I always hated it when i would see something on the internet that i was interested in such as a guitar for $5,000 and then a few weks later I would go back and check to see what happened and all you get is that it was sold but nobody ever tells you what it sold for. So I am going to reveal that the highest bid I received was $12,000 and in this way everyone can get a good idea of what the interest this quality of cue at this exact point in time generates. Hopefully, this is a useful bit of information for the community. Thanks again to everyone for all the help

Old
  (#27)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-20-2017, 02:40 PM

You have an offer of 12K? If you're not attached.. sell it and do not look back.

JV

Quote:
Ok, it appears that this is winding down. The interest in the posts on AZB is interesting in and of itself as the post is active for a few days and then simply fades away. I received a few hundred messages from people regarding this Gus Szamboti and received a lot of help from many of you on what the value is and for that I am thankful. The pictures i posted were viewed over 1,000 times so a lot of people got to see the cue which is a good thing. I am now going to put the cue back in the bank since my price was not met but I am going to do something that I wish others would do and that is share the pricing information. I always hated it when i would see something on the internet that i was interested in such as a guitar for $5,000 and then a few weks later I would go back and check to see what happened and all you get is that it was sold but nobody ever tells you what it sold for. So I am going to reveal that the highest bid I received was $12,000 and in this way everyone can get a good idea of what the interest this quality of cue at this exact point in time generates. Hopefully, this is a useful bit of information for the community. Thanks again to everyone for all the help

www.classiccues.com
New site ONLINE.......

Updated 11/15/18 RIDICULOUS CUES

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Old
  (#28)
Logdog
AzB Silver Member

03-15-2017, 08:57 PM

I was wondering if anyone thought it would be a good idea to bring this cue to The Super Billiards Expo March 30-April 2 in Pennsylvania. I am an easy day trip from there but I don't want to go to all that hassle if people think it will not help me realize my asking price. Thanks in advance

Old
  (#29)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccues View Post
You have an offer of 12K? If you're not attached.. sell it and do not look back.

JV
If the cue is straight and sound I'd be a buyer at 12k too....thats if I had 12k

Design is a fingerprint of the mind....

Old
  (#30)
hachi808
AzB Silver Member
hachi808 has a reputation beyond reputehachi808 has a reputation beyond reputehachi808 has a reputation beyond reputehachi808 has a reputation beyond reputehachi808 has a reputation beyond reputehachi808 has a reputation beyond reputehachi808 has a reputation beyond reputehachi808 has a reputation beyond reputehachi808 has a reputation beyond reputehachi808 has a reputation beyond reputehachi808 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-17-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins View Post
If the cue is straight and sound I'd be a buyer at 12k too....thats if I had 12k
I'll buy yours for $12K so you can get this one.

Page 2 of 13 12 3412 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: